Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's OTF's expert on 1960s production music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, OTF's expert on 1960s production music.

What's the name of the track that starts at 16:06 on here? Wasn't it used as the theme tune to a BBC series a year or two ago?

My suspicion is that it's something by the likes of Keith Mansfield, Syd Dale or Alan Hawkshaw, but I've not found a match yet. Can you help? (And do listen to Hawkshaw's Beat Me 'Til I'm Blue that starts in at 2:36 on that there clip.)

Johnny Pearson - Pop March

Not an expert.. I Shazam'ed it

Comment

Damn. Those cars from :09 to :12 were a Kenner Smash Up Derby set. I had those. Wonder what they'd be worth now.

Comment

Ah, the wonders of Shazam. Thank you very much indeed, atlanticjaxx.

I seem to recall my parents didn't buy me a Kenner Smash-Up Derby set (™), probably because they were fearful of the mess it would make.

Comment

Oh, yeah. It took about three minutes to lose a tire or a door underneath some piece of furniture or down a floor vent.

So, anyway, about that edit. What happened. Profanity? Anti-Semitism?

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
            So, anyway, about that edit. What happened. Profanity? Anti-Semitism?
            I wanted to touch on the smash-up thing.

My parents did get us these wee drag-racing toys that were propelled by an oversized rubber wheel in the centre, which you turned by inserting a plastic stick that had teeth on it and pulling it out really quickly. I wish to hell I could remember what those were called, too, although I expect Shazam won't be much help there.

Comment

Oh, those were SSP Racers. Also by Kenner. Smash Up Derby cars were a product extension of those. I loved those toys.

My son is really into Beyblades now, which uses the same tooth/gear 'pull it and go' system.

Comment

Ah yes, SSP Racers! That's right!

A picture, for anyone playing along at home:

We had a lot of fun with those. But when we made Evel Knievel-style ramps from which to launch them into the stratosphere, we created our own kind of smash-up derby. They didn't last long after that.

Comment

I smashed the living crap out of my Evel Knievel stunt cycle (with camper van & ramp), but I still have it and it still works.

Comment

I think this might be what's wrong with kids today. Their daredevil motorbikes don't come with camper vans.

Comment

Working...
                    X