Goin' Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goin' Back

Missouri has just about run its course for Mrs. House Cat and me so we are moving back to New Mexico. I have been offered a job there and I am going ahead next week to start. Mrs. House Cat will have to stay behind for a while, something I am not happy about, but this is the way we have to do it. We both love the Land of Enchantment anyway so it will be like going home.

My postings will be a little more sporadic for a while after next week (no great loss to some, I'm sure) but I will still be around.

Goin' Back

Yes, pop in when when you can — there's the endless quiz to finish.

You've my sympathies regarding the separation from Mrs House Cat, I hope it won't be too long, I know how that feels.

Comment

Goin' Back

adams house cat wrote:
      Missouri has just about run its course for Mrs. House Cat and me
      Missouri Broken?

Comment

Goin' Back

'Broken' doesn't even begin to describe the condition that Missouri is in.

Comment

Goin' Back

I didn't know that you had gone to Missouri, ahc. Hope it all works out.

It's just a coincidence, but I think it's kind of funny that New Mexico and Missouri are the two states that my parents are from.

Comment

Goin' Back

Cool - another NM voice for OTF.

Comment

Goin' Back

I read that as "NME", and thought "No, hang on, they're all ex-Melody Maker."

Comment

Goin' Back

I'll be in the Four Corners area Cal although I will travel a bit. Where are you based? We may be able to hook up for a beer.

Comment

Goin' Back

That sounds good. We're in Albuquerque, so feel free to pm if you are in the area as there are some great places in town.

Every couple of years we head to Durango for some camping, but I haven't done much more than drive through the four corners area.

I know that Farmington has a brewpub, but can't tell you much more than that.

Hope you have a pleasant and uneventful move!

Comment

Goin' Back

Yes Cal. The pub is called The Three Rivers and they brew some first class beers.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm keeping an eye on the weather over Wolf Creek Pass, which is my preferred route. That road can be evil in bad weather and it can change quickly.

Comment

Goin' Back

Ooh. I'll be spending a week or two in NM in early December. Good to know there's an even larger OTF team to pick the brains of when the time comes.

Comment

Goin' Back

Please inquire away.

You should have the run of the state as early December is definitely off-season in NM except for the ski areas.

Comment

Goin' Back

Every time I see this thread title, I get a certain earworm, so here's a tune for you:
                          Goin' Back to Indiana

Comment

Goin' Back

Cal - have you ever been on the Roadrunner?

I worked on a very long and drawn out Municipal Debt project in NM.

Comment

Goin' Back

Do you mean the Railrunner? If so, yes, it is a very nice train that goes from Belen to Santa Fe. It is widely used by the public, but is and will be a financial boondoggle for the state. Was that part of your municipal debt project?

It sort of symbolizes the problems of rail transportation out in the wide open west. It has a speed limit of around 78mph, yet most people drive that fast in their cars on I-25, so you don't really get there faster. The low speed is apparently due to the stress limits of the existing track. As political sops, they've also littered the route w/ pointless stations that defeat the purpose of a faster alternative to driving.

Comment

Goin' Back

I read that as "NME", and thought "No, hang on, they're all ex-Melody Maker."
                                I am sure that I saw Carcass reviewing the singles in NME when I picked it up the other week

Comment

Goin' Back

Heliotrope wrote:
                                  Every time I see this thread title, I get a certain earworm, so here's a tune for you:
                                  Goin' Back to Indiana
                                  Similar feelings here..

Paul McGrath sings the Goffin/King songbook, all for a good cause.

Comment

Goin' Back

Cal Alamein wrote:
                                    Do you mean the Railrunner? If so, yes, it is a very nice train that goes from Belen to Santa Fe. It is widely used by the public, but is and will be a financial boondoggle for the state. Was that part of your municipal debt project?
                                    Yes, the Railrunner, financed back when interest rates were above 2%, and now people want to fund it cheaper rates and can't quite accept it will involve paying up one-way or another.

It did seem to have some very strange stops, now you mention it. Never traveled on it as the meetings we had were upstate from Santa Fe.

Comment

Goin' Back

There was talk of extending the line up to the Farmington/Aztec area which would be a boon to the Four Corners but would also be very expensive.

Give us a nod when you get to NM Lanterne.

Comment

Working...
                                      X