Has Mac Lost It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Mac Lost It?

His voice or his professionalism or both.

Interesting article on The Quietus site about The Bunnymen's gig in Glasgow the other night.

http://thequietus.com/articles/07092...men-drunk-live

Whatever the extenuating circumstances it was harsh on the folks who shelled out a hard-earned £40 for the privilege of seeing McCullough pissed and listening to the kind of drunken banter (sorry, craic) that you can get in any pub if you wish.

I desperately wanted to see them when they played in Dublin a couple of weeks ago but I just couldn't afford it at that time. If that experience in Glasgow had happened to me in the audience I would've been furious.

It's not just about his singing voice since I thought some of the songs off their last album 'The Fountain' were brilliant, notably 'Shroud of Turin'. And losing the full range of voice didn't stop Johnny Cash's final albums from being critically acclaimed.

So I don't think that he should be criticised just because he can't reach the high notes in The Cutter, but hey man do the best with what you have instead of getting pissed and becoming a 'nasty drunk'.

What do others think?

Has Mac Lost It?

I'd say that article pretty much nailed it.

The band were great, and Mac was blootered. If he'd kept his drunken ramblings to inbetween songs rather than during it would have been fine.

I've got no problem with him not being able to hit the high notes, but y'know, just shut the fuck up and sing the songs. Fortunately it only cost me 90p on the bus to get there, but if I'd have come from farther afield, as plenty of people had, I'd have probably have been hard pressed not to take him up on his offer to get up on stage and let him try and "head-butt me into the fuckin' speakers".

I'm a big bloke, and I'm out of shape, but I'd still have fancied my chances.

Comment

Working...
    X