Another guitar great goes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marv Tarplin, dead at 70. His is the guitar that opens Smokey Robinson's "Tracks Of My Tears", which he co-wrote, and which appeared on modt Miraclers recordings, as well as on many of Smokey's solo records. He co-wrote Miracles hits like "Going To A Go-Go", Marvion Gaye's "I'll Be Doggone" and "Ain't That Peculiar", and Smokey solo hits like "Being With You" and "Crusin'".

This is the time when the greats rom the 1960s and '70s start popping of at an increasing rate...

RIP. It's going to be weird watching that happen over the next few years G-Man, especially as someone who's had their music as such a big part of my life even though I wasn't born until much later. Won't feel quite the same when some of the biggest names in today's music start leaving the building...

Comment

To an extent, yeah. But then you celebrate even more the ones who are still going strong.

Comment

The pity is that people like Marv Tarplin are unlikely to be remembered in the In Memoriam section of the Grammys.

Comment

Possibly not, I dunno. But how much does that matter? He'll be remembered by his peers and those his music brought pleasure to. Would he, or any of us, hope for or expect more than that?

Comment

I suppose that is more important, yes. But how many people will know that he died to remember him?

Comment

They'll know because people who cared will let them know, just as you did in starting this thread.

Comment

Another tragic loss. That intro is a timeless piece of pop music perfection. We can mourn his passing and celebrate what he gave us. RIP.

Comment

Ah, very sad. When I interviewed Smokey Robinson, he couldn't speak highly enough of Marv Tarplin, and insisted on giving him credit for many things I mentioned, notably the intro to this almost indescribably great track...

Comment

Working...
                  X