Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this day in pop history...

...in 1999:

"Chris de Burgh's web site was closed down after countless obscene messages were posted on the guestbook. One message consisted entirely of two four-letter words repeated 3500 times."

I don't know who would possibly do such a thing, but... chap!

Was it Mark Lamarr?

Comment

'Lamarr' is 6 letters.

I struggle to think of TWO swear words that would fit... if it was 7 and 4, I would understand. Or just one... but two? That takes a level of mentalism to a higher degreee.

Comment

Shit Cunt?

Comment

Before 'The Lady In Red' came out C De B was quite cool over here. His earlier material has one or two gems to provide a bit of credibility.

Comment

Possibly not 'Don't Pay the Ferryman'. The most wet-lettuced attempt at 'rocking out' ever seen or heard in the known universe.

I hated that bloody 'Spaceman Came Travelling' b*llocks as well.

Comment

I quite liked "Patricia The Stripper" back in the day.

I also remember liking "Waiting for the Hurricane" and "In A Country Churchyard", though I don't know whether I'd still do do now. I haven't heard them in 30 years.

Comment

I bloody love A Spaceman Came Travelling. It's one of my favourite Xmas songs.
                De Burgh is still a shit cunt though.

Comment

There are some weird things said about Mr DeB... stuff to do with his daughter, and other stuff about his wife, but 'Lady in Red' isnt a bad song.

It has been used all over the place for various reasons, and its repetition is the thing that maked me dislike it.

I liked '...Ferryman' though wouldnt call it a classic.

(James Blunt has just ripped off Michael Sembello's 'Maniac', and no-one has noticed, just thought I would mention)

Admittedly, after all, I do dislike Mr DeB, rather a lot... there was a thing on Top Of The Pop once, where he was caught leering, and if there is such a think as the devil, its him.

Weird, because he is so unobtrusive.

There are worse things in the musical world. Not many, but some.

Comment

Maniac has to be flirting with the top 100 worst songs ever, no?

Comment

G.Man wrote:

I also remember liking "In A Country Churchyard", though I don't know whether I'd still do do now. I haven't heard them in 30 years.
                      My advice is to leave this song in your memory and not to actually play it again. I listened to it again recently and it hasn't aged well.

Memory is often better than reality.

Comment

Oh, I have no doubt of it.

Comment

Yes, I think so. I mean, what exactly does this woman do on the dancefloor? Chuck petrol over everyone?

And someone mentioned James Blunt upthread. He's a prize c***, too.

Comment

But unfortunately, he gives serious earworms.

Comment

Today is the 30th anniversary of the release of Depeche Mode's 'Speak and Spell'. Still essential (in any electropop collection) and arguably their best album.

I suppose I should feel old - and I suppose I do, a little bit - but I'm too preoccupied with current equivalents of that album to really do so.

Comment

Is it really? I DO feel old because I am. (If I have to drop another hint about being 45 and feeling it, I am going to kill something)

Midge Ure and or Bob Geldof's birthday today too. (And the person formally known as Chippy, I think.)

I am going to put on 'See You' and reminisce... (or at least learn how to spell reminisce (after 3 edits, and a Google)).

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                  Yes, I think so. I mean, what exactly does this woman do on the dancefloor? Chuck petrol over everyone?
                                  I only just 'got' this.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote:
                                    There are some weird things said about Mr DeB... stuff to do with his daughter, and other stuff about his wife, but 'Lady in Red' isnt a bad song.
                                    I utterly despised "Lady In Red" the very first time I heard it. It was right up there with the horrors of "I Just Called To Say I Love You" and Jennifer Rush's "Power Of Love" the preceding two years.

Now, dont think I was a snob. A few months before "Lady In Red" was inflicted upon mankind, I cheerfully helped Boris Gardiner's "I Wanna Wake Up With You" to the top of the charts, for my sins.

Comment

evilC wrote:

Today is the 30th anniversary of the release of Depeche Mode's 'Speak and Spell'. Still essential (in any electropop collection) and arguably their best album.
                                      I dig it out from time to time and it has such a refreshing innocence about it - particularly I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead

Comment

But unfortunately, he gives serious earworms.
                                        Not to me, thank f***.

Violator is DM's best album. A lot of people say that, but in this case they're right.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:

Violator is DM's best album. A lot of people say that, but in this case they're right.
                                          As long as you discount 'Blue Dress'.

Comment

historyman wrote:
                                            Jah Womble wrote:

As long as you discount 'Blue Dress'.
                                            No. So long as you leave out 'Sweetest Perfection'.

"When I need a drug in me
                                            And it brings out the thug in me..."

Worst couplet ever!

Comment

I respectfully point you in the direction of the "safe as houses" couplet in Never Let Me Down Again.

Comment

Good point. It's a rich vein. (Fnarr! Kyakk! Etc.)

Comment

Violator, Waiting for the Night: "And when I squinted/the world seemed rose-tinted"

Songs of Faith and Devotion, Judas: "Idle talk and hollow promises/cheating Judases, doubting Thomases"

Ultra, The Love Thieves: "Sure as Adam is Eve, sure as Jonah turned whaler/They're crooked love thieves, and you are their jailor"

We love you, Mart.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X