Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half Man Half Biscuit - 90 Bisodol (Crimond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New album, out today - anyone got it yet? I know there are a few fans here (imagine that, on a site full of lower-league football fans in their 30s and 40s).

I've got plenty to say on it, but unfortunately I've been up all night and as a result my head feels like sponge. Fortunately, this was because I was writing another absurdly long piece for The Quietus on this very album.

Self-promoting link: http://thequietus.com/articles/07060-half-man-half-biscuit-90-bisodol-crimond

Great record. You should get it.

"My head feels like sponge." Heh.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder.

Bangor are playing on Sunday so I decided to that I was going to watch Tranmere on Saturday, before the match I was planning to go to Probe records.

I should have known there was a greater cosmic force behind all this.

Comment

Excellent piece, Taylor. Absolutely spot on.

Comment

Terrific article, Taylor, but I can't help but think both yourself and Blackwell give the suburban middle classes an unnecessarily hard time.

My personal demographic certainly puts me in such a category and I don't believe I'm any more or less "cosy" than I was years ago when I lived in urban Manchester. I cared about issues but usually did nothing about them, listened to rebellious music but got a mortgage when I was twenty-one and lived a life of quiet aspiration that still continues.

Seriously, what's really so wrong with B&Q? What is this prickish life I am meant to lead?

Comment

Well it's not class status, it's behaviour, as far as HMHB are concerned (and me too, for what it's worth). It's not some kind blanket hatred of anyone living in comfortable surroundings, it's just the fact that people who do live in comfortable surroundings and are also pricks are the most annoying people in the world, and they're also culturally and politically influential in their prickishness. I meant to make this really clear in the article (that the bourgeoisie-bashing wasn't knee-jerk), but what with the last minute overnight rewrite...

I mean, it's not that there's anything wrong with going to B&Q - the line in that song "they know where things are in B&Q" is a lovely cuss, but it's not supposed to be an insult in itself, it's just a detail of a particular lifestyle which also includes going to one-day cricket in fancy dress, treating the Mercury Music prize with awe and having nothing but total respect for Annie Lennox. Spending every weekend in B&Q is a characteristic of middle-class prickishness, not something that automatically makes someone a prick (well, if it was every weekend, I suppose).

Comment

Great news, thanks for letting us in on it Taylor.

Comment

Brilliant article. Will get the album.

Comment

Just out of interest, which HMHB lyric comes closest to being self-deprecating?

Comment

May I say that where I've sort of defended Annie Lennox on here with regard to her head-nodding thing, that I am not actually in favour of the woman generally. Neutral at best.

Comment

That was really good.

I've never bought a HMHB record as I've always assumed they were a kind of novelty act, but after reading that review I'm really tempted.

Comment

It's testament to their cast-iron refusal to publicise anything that I knew nothing of this new release until now.

One order placed via Probe.

Comment

I can't fathom the title. Can anyone help?

Comment

Well, Bisodol is an indigestion relief medication. Crimond is the name of the tune of psalm 23, The Lord's my Shepherd. There are 118 words in psalm 23.

So no, I cant fathom it either.

Comment

The HMHB Home Page says this:

The title is from the lyrics to Tommy Walsh's Eco House. Crimond is the Jess(i)e Seymour Irvine tune, as featured in brackets after the title "The Lord Is My Shepherd" in almost every wedding order of service, ever. Just to let people know what tune it was going to be sung to on this occasion, as if anyone thought there was another tune. It's also a village in the north east of Scotland, near Peterhead, but that's irrelevant here.
                              Still no idea what it really means!

Comment

Got the album and its more of the same, so good stuff. Like the last track, "Rock and Roll is full of bad wools" in particular.

Like all their stuff fans will enjoy it, non fans just wont get it.

Comment

Any album which contains a song about korfball is OK with me.

Comment

Heard it through last night (I'd already heard five of the new songs when I saw them in Bilston a year ago). 'Fix it' probably my favorite along with 'Eco house' and 'Left lyrics'.

They're back to entertain the Black Country in January.

Excellent review TP.

One small quibble, the korfball song is a rewrite of David Wainwright's feet.

Comment

I've listened to virtually nothing else since I got round to sticking it on the pod.

"RSVP" and "Descending the Stiperstones" are highlights for me, with "L'Enfer C'est Les Autres" summing my attitude towards selfish pavement users up perfectly.

Comment

That review sold it to me.

Just looking through the lyrics, liked song for Europe.

'Where there is no love, there will be no peace. But get to know love and you'll know peace.'

What a nice sentiment.

Just starting on downloading the first album now.

Comment

"They're back to entertain the Black Country in January."

I may well be up for that, DG.

Comment

HMHB playing at the Robin 2, Bilston (near Wolverhampton) tonight. Tickets available on the door.

Comment

Excellent gig.

1 Joy in Leeuwarden
                                              2 Bottleneck at Capel Curig
                                              3 When the evening sun goes down
                                              4 Turned up, clocked on, laid off
                                              5 Left lyrics in the practice room
                                              6 Lilac Harry Quinn
                                              7 Excavating Rita
                                              8 Lock up your mountain bikes
                                              9 Improv workshop mimeshow gobshite
                                              10 Dukla Prague away kit
                                              11 L'Enfer c'est les autres
                                              12 National shite day
                                              13 Best things in life
                                              14 We built this village
                                              15 1966 and all that
                                              16 Irk the purists
                                              17 Floreat Inertia
                                              18 Vatican broadside
                                              19 Rock and roll is full of bad wools
                                              20 24 hour garage people
                                              21 Tommy Walsh's Eco-house
                                              22 Light at the end of the tunnel
                                              23 Joy Division oven gloves
                                              24 For what is Chatteris

25 Petty sessions
                                              26 I love you because
                                              27 Fix it so she dreams of me
                                              28 99% of gargoyles

Comment

Working...
                                              X