Wales have scored a goal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took Montenegro's keeper doing an Enckelman to get it but a just reward for our first decent half hour of football in ages.

I can't believe that the great Montenegro are losing to Wales.

Could the rankings possibly be wrong?

Comment

Montenegro trying the same targetted, systematic fouling of Bale that served the swiss so well last October.

We should have added a couple more since the opener, their keeper and defence in disarray.

Comment

Top seeds Norway yet to break down the Icelandic resistance either.

Comment

Bellamy booked, and therefore out of Tuesday's game, for absolutely nothing.

Comment

he got booked on purpose. Bottler.

Comment

Great banter

Comment

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed with that myself. I'll leave it up there though, just to remind myself to do better next time.

Comment

This isn't the same Montenegro that has impressed me so far. We are going a little bit more direct to Bellamy than what I have seen so far under Speed but to no great effect apart from the goal which was well worked, if lucky, as Harry mentioned.

Comment

2-0 from what looked like a hopeless boot out upfield that I was castigating. Ramsey. Typical when we do England a favour

Comment

Lovely second team goal from Rambo!

Comment

Of course, we are getting cocky now going for a third and not just retaining possession

Comment

Or alternately, exploiting our superior play and the Montenegrans' awful marking and defensive line to create chances.

Comment

One of these cunts has got to be sent off soon.

Comment

You are right, Harry, we are all over them. I just can't quite believe it. That could have been as amazing third there

Comment

I'd like it if we could keep the ball for a bit though

Comment

See? I told you this would happen. 2-1

Comment

Shouldn't have taken Ramsey off. Nobody to hold the ball in the middle and bring it forward.

Comment

How old is Wayne Hennessey? He's definitely got the old mothering instinct going.

Comment

Bale needs to get back on the left or start finding Bellamy when he is free on goal.

Comment

Stop hoofing the ball! I don't care if England win the group just stop hoofing the ball. Bellamy can make it stick up there

Comment

Thank fuck for that, as pleased as I have been about a Welsh performance in a long, long time. It really should have been three/four-nil against ten men after 70 minutes rather than hanging on though.

Bellamy unsurprisingly excellent, Taylor outstanding and though I was worried about Blake (Cardiff's sixth choice at centre-half) and Williams (who I have never seen have a good game at any level) they stood up to the late pressure well. Gunter was at fault for their goal but just about made up for it with his overall performance.

For all Bale's creative play he turned in to a bit of a liability near the end by unbalancing midfield and not covering Gunter well enough and we only really notice how much Ramsey does when he goes off.

Earnshaw man of the match, clearly.

Comment

Taylor was great, wasn't he? I thought it was just me noticing him a lot with the volume down. I am not sure whether Vaughan should be man of the match for his "staying down on the floor after being hit in the face" time wasting. I was going to mentioned that, from what I saw, Williams hadn't done anything stupid but I thought it may be a "traffic's good" error

I now you don't like us playing it out from the back but every time Hennesey hit it long, it was coming back at us. We were panicking like buggery after their goal.

It was much easier when we didn't care under Toshack. To be honest, I thought I didn't tonight

Comment

Who said I don't like us playing it out from the back? When it's the best option and effective I love it but when we have one real passer of the ball in Ramsey, two guys who are outstanding at running the channels in Bale & Bellamy and a blunt instrument like Morison up front getting the ball long and wide early is often a good thing.

I don't see the point in fetishising any one style of play because it's the "right" one for aspirant coaches to the exclusion of what might be the more effective for a side some or most of the time, especially when you're ranked 117th in the world. An early, long or high pass isn't by definition a bad one and passing the ball along the back four isn't by definition the right way to play if you don't have the right players.

Comment

No-one is fetishising it. A early, long or high pass is crap when you lose possession and the ball comes straight back at you which was happening before and after Montenegro scored tonight and, while I agree that passing the ball aimlessly along the back four is pointless if you are going to get closed down quickly, passing into midfield or the wings is better than hitting it into channels that are well covered. I thought the most effective tonight was Hennesey's throws out to Bale and Bellamy.

I agree that, in international management, you aren't going to try and strip away years of coaching from the clubs and get them to play a different way from what they are used to but, if you are 2-0 up, at whatever level you are at, keeping possession is by far the best option.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X