IAAF World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IAAF World Championships

I had this on pause, this is really good (womens javelin)

Comment

IAAF World Championships

fucking hell

Comment

IAAF World Championships

I am 5 minutes behind...

Comment

IAAF World Championships

oh for fuck sake, twice, wow oh shit!

TEV: thanks.

Comment

IAAF World Championships

You're welcome ... erm, whatever it is I did.

Comment

IAAF World Championships

what a magnificent womens 5k... brilliant, just brilliant.

(Racism alert what the fuck do you have to do to be better than the Kenyans and the Ethiopians? That was again a class act.

How is this possible? The Brit, who is pretty good, was fucked earlier, then the American, then the nondescript Kenyan and Ethiopians... I dont care. Superb run, and double, double.

(What happened to the lady named Dibaba? Where is she?)... (Dirunesh Debaba , not the one who came 3rd, then?)

Comment

IAAF World Championships

Thank you. Not often, I want to see someone named Jeter, lose... Campbell Brown, is fantfucktastic.

Comment

IAAF World Championships

What with holidays and work, I have not been able to watch any more than the brief highlights of this so far, but today I was able to watch. Obviously Usain Bolt is a superstar and his performance was once again outstanding, but for me the highlight of the day was the Australian Sally Pearson who ran one of the smoothest hurdles races I have ever seen and recorded one of the fastest times in history. This may be one of the women’s world records from the 1980’s that might get broken soon.

Comment

IAAF World Championships

The Womens 100m Hurdles record, like many womens records over short distances, goes back to the golden age of drugged athletes. In this case, it's the Bulgarian, Donkova, who set the record back in 1988. Her victory in Rome the previous year is still the Championships fastest. I think she was the one who was missing two fingers - something I was always fascinated with when I was a kid as it was a strange sight when the camera showed the row of hands when the athletes were on their marks.

Watching Pearson in both the semi & final, I'd be confident that she could be the one to break Donkova's time.

Comment

IAAF World Championships

Yay! Another gold. Mo Farah's won the 5,000.

Comment

IAAF World Championships

GO, MO! 52.7 last lap!

Comment

IAAF World Championships

I think that that fucking anthem gets worse every time I hear it...

Comment

IAAF World Championships

Best day's athletics I've seen in years, world record rounded it off nicely. I would have to disagree about the coverage, after a slightly dodgy start I think its been ok, there seems to be less of the wittering that they had on the bbc, and more coverage, particularly the field events.

I missed brendan foster though.

Comment

IAAF World Championships

Working today, so only just watched the highlights. Fantastic stuff, especially from Farah, and has whetted my appetite for next summer, given that I have tickets for the men's 5000m and the 4 x 100 relay.

As for the coverage, it was okay given the awful start it had, although there's plenty of work to be done for the Paralympics. However, it's played into the hands of the BBC who now look peerless with regards to athletics coverage, yet employed Steve Cram and Jonathan Edwards amongst others to do commentary (neither of whom I found particularly good - I'd be quiet happy to listen to John Rawling again).

Comment

IAAF World Championships

Bit but there was a [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14679657good article[/url] by Matthew Syed on the BBC News website a few days back about colour perception in athletics.

Along fairly typical lines from him, countering ideas of people being innately good at stuff etc. A few quotes should you wish not to bother reading the whole thing:

But it turns out that it is not Kenya as a whole that usually wins these medals, but individuals from a tiny region in the Rift Valley called Nandi. As one writer put it: "Most of Kenya's runners call Nandi home."

Seen in this context, the notion that black people are naturally superior distance runners seems bizarre. Far from being a "black" phenomenon, or even a Kenyan phenomenon, distance running is actually a Nandi phenomenon. Or, to put it another way, "black" distance running success is focused on the tiniest of pinpricks on the map of Africa, with the vast majority of the continent underrepresented.

The same analysis applies to the sprints, where success is focused on Jamaicans and African-Americans. Africa, as a continent, has almost no success at all. Not even West Africans win much.
                                Our tendency to generalise rests on a deeper fallacy - the idea that "black" refers to a genetic type. We put people of dark skin in a box labelled black and assume that a trait shared by some is shared by all.

The truth is rather different. There is far more genetic variation within racial groups (around 85%) than there is between racial groups (just 15%). Indeed, surface appearance is often a highly misleading way of assessing the genetic distance between populations.

Comment

Working...
                                X