Surprisingly prim lyrics from unexpected areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 - W.A.S.P. release "Fuck Like A Beast", a song that pretty much describes what it says on the can and has this cover

What is the opening couplet of this Mary Whitehouse bothering sex anthem?

"I got pictures of naked ladies
    lying on their beds"

Naked ladies? Not ho's or bitches or even wimmin but ladies? It's very "What the Butler Saw"

Mind you, he also has lines in like

"I'm making artificial lovers for free"

"I lick my chops and you're tasting good"

so I am not sure much thought went into the lyrics after he came up with the titular chorus

Mind you,this is the guy who put a pyro into his codpiece backwards and scorched the balls off himself.

Yelp like a beast.

Comment

I have a friend who had a fling with their guitarist. The obvious first question was; "Does he?"

The answer; "Not nowadays"

Comment

There's probably a reason for that

Comment

From "No One Is Innocent":

God save William Grundy
          From falling in manure.

I know it had to rhyme with "pure", but, come on, manure?
          They may as well have written something that had to rhyme with "doo-doo" or "plop-plop".

On the other hand, "No One Is Innocent" must be one of the very few songs that contains the word "wholesome", which is good.

Comment

Terrible, terrible record. The moment we knew punk was over.

I can't think of Blackie Lawless (him from W*A*S*P) without recalling the bizarre edition of Night Network that paired him with Julia Fordham on the singles review slot. Things like that never happen on TV anymore.

Judge Dread often found himself having to use 'prim' alternatives in his songs: on 'Big Seven', he uses the word 'rump' instead of 'c***' - which he was later quoted as describing as an 'extremely unpleasant' term.

Comment

I can't think of Blackie Lawless (him from W*A*S*P) without recalling the bizarre edition of Night Network that paired him with Julia Fordham on the singles review slot. Things like that never happen on TV anymore.
              We are going to have to have Harry Truscott to thread as he will remember this better than me but I seem to remember that Fordham took issue with Lawless on some matter about music being too lightweight and Lawless replied that it didn't have to be "Fuckin Ghandhi, man"

Comment

I remember it.
                Twatty Lawless reacted to some pop video saying that 'it seems like the whole damn world's turning gay'.

Yer woman Fordham hilariously and correctly tore the macho prick a new one.

Comment

Not prim lyrics but odd censorship.

The radio version of the"S&M" song has the line "Sticks and stones may break my bones" complete but bleeps out the "chains" and whips" in the "But chains and whips excite me" line which somewhat suggests the violent assualt with blunt instruments is ok but consensual sado-masochistic sex isn't. Odd.

Comment

Obviously pain and violence is perfectly fine, as long as you aren't enjoying it.

Comment

I remember it.
                      Twatty Lawless reacted to some pop video saying that 'it seems like the whole damn world's turning gay'.

Yer woman Fordham hilariously and correctly tore the macho prick a new one.
                      The video in question had been Morrissey's 'Last of the Famous International Playboys', which would also place the show as early 1989. (Had forgotten the 'Gandhi' comment, though.)

Comment

Coming late (like a beast) to this but I'm not sure the "fucking Ghandi" quote Bored refers too wasn't from an interview with Lawless broadcast over the video screens at Donington one year.

Comment

Ah, I thought we'd done it before.

Blimey, Fordham even got a thread of her own!

Comment

I finally found this and this and can confirm that Harry is right and, although there is a mention of Gandhi in it, it isn't the classic "Fucking Gandhi" quote. The "gays" remark is about Jean Paul Gaultier. The irony of Shakin' Stevens being held up as a 'heterosexual' for Blackie to watch is funny. The 80s really was a different worse-dressed place.

Comment

Ah well, at least my memory served as regards Mozzer's promo. (I had remembered the 'throwing his meat around' comment as well, but modesty forbade.) Good find, Bored.

Comment

W.A.S.P. are inextricably linked in my mind with the heyday of the shaped picture disc, '80s hairspray decadence given substance in the form of almost unplayable vinyl.

Comment

I recently found this CD:

It's supposed to contain an interview with Charlie Watts, but I hesitate to feed this to my car's CD player, out of fear that something will break. Who ever thought that this was a good idea?

Comment

Is there a machine in the world that could safely play that?

Comment

Bit is 'In Da Club', where Fifty Cent starts channeling one of Alan Bennett's Talking Heads:

My flow, my show brought me the dough
                                      That brought me all my fancy things

Fancy things?

Comment

From a fancy goods shop, no doubt.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Is there a machine in the world that could safely play that?
                                          Yes, there are systems like this:

where the machine only holds the cd by the little hole in the middle.

Comment

Well, yes, obviously I'm aware of such technology - I just fail to see what area of that Charlie Watts CD is actually playable...

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Well, yes, obviously I'm aware of such technology - I just fail to see what area of that Charlie Watts CD is actually playable...
                                              Oh. I didn't get that at all from your original question, with the reference to "a machine that can safely play that".

Anyway, I think that there may be enough space left in the middle to contain the interview, but I cannot give you a definitive answer before Thursday, when I get back from a conference.

Comment

Benjm wrote: W.A.S.P. are inextricably linked in my mind with the heyday of the shaped picture disc, '80s hairspray decadence given substance in the form of almost unplayable vinyl.

I'll see your rabid pig's head and raise you a blood-splattered, chainsaw-bladed codpiece and crotch:

Comment

Working...
                                                X