Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hartley Sebag-ffiennes, Arsenal supporter (3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prior to this fixture, I was invited to the North-West in order to present a paper, composed as a counterblast to the regrettable Creationist movement which is the bane of all liberals such as myself. I wished to demonstrate that man did indeed evolve from apes, and, in order to illustrate my point, introduce at the lectern live specimens, men and women from the North who displayed vaguely human-like tendencies but unarguably demonstrated the existence of the evolutionary scale, inasmuch as they were much further down upon it, indeed, swinging baboon-like from its very base, beating their hairy breasts and bellowing preposterous, unintelligible sentiments such as “Coom on Borlton!” And “I 'orpe Borlton win, I do, me, like, oh, aye.” My aim is Enlightenment.

As part of my research, I had the privilege of visiting a pairing of these “Bolton” people, of whose existence I must admit I had heard only rumours or glimpsed at fleeting, unverifiable footage, in their own habitat - some sort of kennel-cum-terraced dwelling. Why they chose to live in such cramped confines, without extensive lawns, or even a study, begs a perhaps unanswerable question regarding their inscrutable obduracy. Towards myself, they displayed behaviour which could almost be compared to that of actual Hampstead human beings. Their names, or the names conferred upon them, were “Gary” and “Tracy”. At the risk of becoming excessively anthropomorphic, the way they shuffled me along and bade me sit down on a settee was similar to our own concept of “hospitality” when greeting a stranger. In behaviour doubtless learned from the television advertisements featuring bowler-hatted monkeys, one of them even offered me a cup of tea. I accepted this politely, though since I could not verify its provenance, I felt that the only tactful thing to do was discreetly pour the beverage away in a gap between my seat cushion and the sofa arm. For obvious reasons, I had a handkerchief over my nose for the entire visit; when “Tracy”, in some vague approximation of the English language asked if anything was the matter, I replied that this was how handkerchiefs were worn in London. It is improbable that she will ever leave her own street, let alone make it to the Metropolis to verify my white (and, indeed, cambric) lie. I have no doubt my answer satisfied her, not least since she did not speak to me at all for the remainder of my thankfully brief visit.

I then repaired with all available dispatch to my executive berth at the Bolton stadium. On feeling a few drops of rain, however, and with the temperature plunging below 10 degrees, I naturally had my driver keep the engine to my car running outside the stadium, in expectation that the fixture would be abandoned due to poor weather and, since asking Arsenal's players to repeat the ordeal of venturing this far up North a second time would be out of the question given our schedule, that M. Wenger generously agree that the match be declared a 3-0 win to Arsenal.

To my gaping astonishment, however, the match was allowed to proceed. Now, this is Springtime. In Hyde Park, young fellows are out walking with their whangees taking in the blossom fragrance, as lissom young ladies perform eurhythmics under the supervision of their governesses. Up in the North West, however, an altogether different micro-climate prevailed. Truly, as the precipitation reduced the pitch to a Triassic quagmire, one realised just why these “Bolton” people lag so far behind us, why they regard their own thumbs not as useful appendages but as curious swellings which they presumably attempt to saw off with blunt implements of their own, crude devising. At one point, during the opening 20 minutes, I swear I spotted a pterodactyl swoop by.

How were Arsenal supposed to perform, in a climate in which the calendar had reverted from “AD” to “BC”? Imagine if, in a fit of inexplicable impertinence, Italian peasants had insisted that Leonardo Da Vinci, in order to prove his superiority as a painter, had been challenged, in some base, open field to see how his painting of the Mona Lisa compared with their local hero, “Enzo”, employed locally in the capacity of goatwiper, who would render his own composition in oils, “A Pottato I Once Et”. As the skies opened, naturally, one would imagine that an end to this insanity would be called for and everyone scurry for cover, but no – the cry would go up that it was “the same for both painters”, compounded with jeers that Da Vinci “might not fancy” painting in such conditions and what a ludicrous sodomite he was for wearing gloves. This was no nightmare but the reality that prevailed this day. And, be warned, the goatwipers almost prevailed. Thankfully, the memory that they were under the care of one Gary Megson (one hesitates to elevate such a peabrained little dogsbody with barely the motor skills to wipe his nose with the title of manager – perhaps “under-janitor” will suffice?) caused Bolton to acquiesce, involuntarily, to the natural order of things. Yes, they struggled, yes, they fought, but this was in the manner of mongrel dogs being dragged to the veterinarians to be neutered. It had to be done.

It is no exaggeration to say that, had Arsenal not won today, Civilisation would have been dragged into the evolutionary quicksand. Results like this, if allowed to stand, could mean only one thing – that within a generation, mankind would be back down on all fours, peeling bananas with its toes. To see that this could not possibly happen again, measures have to be taken. Here is one. Arsenal fans – ruminative, inward-looking types by nature are pilloried by the base for making insufficient noise. On the contrary – what a splendid message it would send out to humanity were Arsenal to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for their contribution to reducing the raucousness of modern football. A second is that we revert to the system that prevailed until the mid-1960s in the Football League, the days of the Third Division North and Third Division South. The purpose of this division was to establish a sort of “upper” and “lower” streaming – it was unthinkable that the team who finished bottom in the Third Division South could ever be beaten by the team who finished top in the Third Division North. Certainly, it could never be allowed to happen. I propose that the Premier League be similarly divided up into three tiers. The top one, naturally, would consist of The Premier League (South), the second tier The Premier League (West) headed by Chelsea, who have the misfortune to sit the wrong side of the Albert Memorial, with the lower tier consisting of the Premier League (North). There could be no possibility of the teams from the three tiers meeting, thereby preserving Arsenal's place at the apex of British football indefinitely. The third is that the Boltonians, and, for that matter, the remainder of the festering rabble who make up the population of the North West, be herded for the general good into the Irish Sea and their wetland habitat be given over to several endangered British species of wading bird. It would be a scandal, to my mind, if for example the Black Tailed Godwit were allowed to lapse into extinction. Arsenal! Six games, one win! Van Persie's lethal finishing! Gallas's manly courage in the face of a tame daisycutter from Matt Taylor! We're back!

Oh piss. This hasn't helped at all.

Comment

Absolute Genius - Trust the throat ain't too sore from all that shouting!?!

Comment

Truly, as the precipitation reduced the pitch to a Triassic quagmire, one realised just why these “Bolton” people lag so far behind us, why they regard their own thumbs not as useful appendages but as curious swellings which they presumably attempt to saw off with blunt implements of their own, crude devising.
        That sentence is this weekend's literary equivalent of CRonaldo's goal against Aston Villa.

Comment

A hopeful and unorthodox stab in the vague direction of humour, which somehow sneaks past the keeper after a jammy deflection from the defender's leg?

Waaaay harsh, G, I though this was hilarious.

Comment

Toro - No, he really does have a sore throat this weekend...and if you've ever been with the wingco when The Arse are playing, you'll know that there's alot of shouting! Generally along the "SHOOT YOU C*NT SHOOT!" lines.

Comment

An audacious and jawdroppingly astonishing moment of beauty, more like. A bit like the CRonaldo goal.

Comment

Ah, sorry gt3 - I meant that as a response to Pan Tau, the erstwhile G-man.

Comment

God - all these new names...

Comment

I dunno, though. "Evolutionary scale". Schoolboy error there.

Comment

Says a Dawkins fan?

Comment

Gould is certainly right that human chauvinism, as an unspoken motif, runs through a great deal of evolutionary writing. He’ll find even better examples if he looks at the comparative psychology literature, which is awash with snobbish and downright silly phrases like ‘subhuman primates’, ‘subprimate mammals’ and ‘submammalian vertebrates’, implying an unquestioned ladder of life defined so as to perch us smugly on the top rung. Uncritical authors regularly move ‘up’ or ‘down’ the ‘evolutionary scale’ (bear in mind that they are in fact moving among modern animals, contemporary twigs dotted all around the tree of life). Students of comparative mentality unabashedly and ludicrously ask, ‘How far down the animal kingdom does learning extend?’ Volume 1 of Hyman’s celebrated treatise on the invertebrates is entitled ‘Protozoa through Ctenophora’ (my emphasis) – as if the phyla exist along an ordinal scale such that everybody knows which groups sit ‘between’ Protozoa and Ctenophora. Unfortunately all zoology students do know – we’ve all been taught the same groundless myth.

Comment

Yeah, but... he's inconsistent on the point, and it at best sits uneasily with his belief in evolutionary "progress".

Comment

I don't think it does at all: his idea of "progress" is a wholly within-lineage thing, and therefore completely at odds with the notion of a ranking of existing species belonging t separate lineages. I don't quite buy what he says about "progress", but let's not caricature it.

The board will not forgive us for this, you know. We should take this off-thread, or drop it.

Comment

It is my God-given right as an American to go off-topic, and you know it.

Comment

Not on a Wingco Special it isn't.

Comment

You started it.

[/playschool]

Comment

I originally wrote "evolutionary chain", which probably made better sense in the context of Boltonians swinging off the bottom of it, but then switched to "evolutionary scale" because that's the phrase John Cleese uses in that Fawlty Towers episode when Nicky Henson plays an unconvincing medallion-clad 1979 Melody Maker reading-type ("Have we got enough bananas in, dear?"). Such is the depth of the research I put into these things.

Comment

Working...
                                    X