Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst. TV. Show. Idea. Ever

http://www.campusprogress.org/filmtv/2592/the-oc-comes-to-dc

I hope this will be a "I see your x, and I raise you y" sort of thread, although I think I've laid out a pretty high opening bid there.

Raise you. I always thought that was Heil, Honey, I'm Home! the aborted sitcom about those happy-go-lucky types, the Hitlers, and their warm, goofy domestic hijinks.

I've never seen the OC - and it only takes the phrase 'docu-soap' to make me consider a peek at what's worth a gander in my DVD collection.

And it all sounds pretty horrible (the programme idea - not my DVD collection).

Comment

Monkey Tennis.

Comment

I take it 'Pets Win Prizes' didn't make it across the Atlantic.

I think Danny Baker's devotees on the board have attempted to airbrush it from history but I remember.

By God, I remember.

Comment

Pauline's Quirks was another congealed pool of vomit on the high street paving of television quality. There's loads of candidates. It's just getting the mind to want to stir itself to bring up (in every sense) these atrocities.

Comment

Could the monkeys actually play tennis or did they just dress them in white shorts? Because if it's the former, I fear the simian uprising is nigh.

People like those in The Hills or this LNS group in Washington or any of the other asshats on "reality tv" (I recommend searching "LNS" on Wonkette.com or simply google LNS and douchebag, to learn more about this blight on humanity) fascinate me because I can't shake the doubt that people that vapid, selfish and all around awful could actually exist. It just doesn't seem possible that anyone so completely un-self-aware (can't think of a better word) could actually dress themselves in the morning let alone function on this planet day to day.

That doubt leads to the conclusion that they're pulling a big prank, "punk'd-style" on America, which, as demonstrated by recent presidential elections, is collectively pretty damn gullible.

But there's no evidence that it's a hoax, so I go back and forth, switching between shock/revulsion and overwhelming admiration for these people's total committment to the schtick.

I'll raise. My Sweet Sixteen.

Comment

I really hate "The Apprentice", featuring a bunch of greedy back-stabbing arrogant twats and Alan Sugar, who has a TV station blowing sunshine up his arse. Haven't ever watched one episode, and never will.

Comment

It's not just the fucksticks that get on those shows, it's the premise itself. Why does anyone want to see a bunch of random people do a bunch of contrived "challenges?"

Comment

I dunno, but these programmes are wildly popular. The other one that gets me is that "Maria" show where Lloyd Webber gets his musical plugged for free for 15 weeks by the BBC.

Comment

You may or may not be right in the case of the apprentice, but surely you need to watch it to pass judgement.

Comment

It's hard to miss it given the carry on that surrounds it. The BBC plug it on Five Live and interview contestants, there are snippets on other shows and newspaper headlines etc- that's more than enough.

Comment

That...plus I have watched it a bit.

Comment

Give me "Youth Hosteling With Chris Eubank" any day.

Comment

Other commenters were equally as harsh. "I just threw up in my mouth a little," wrote one after reading about the show.
                            Excellent. I agree totally with Reed on this. Who would want to watch some non-entity poncing around like the emotionally-retarded, attention-starved cock he is on the premise of apparently behaving "completely naturally" in front of a camera for three weeks?

Great," wrote another. "Yet another reason for others across the country to think of DC-ists as a bunch of uppity wankers."
                            Since when do people in the U.S. use the word "wanker"?

Comment

since Phil Collins came out with it on 'Miami Vice'?

Comment

Working...
                              X