Will Tiger ever come back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiger Woods, who hasn't played since May, duly dropped out of the World's top 20 for the first time in over 14 years today, and is now on the very slippery slope where unless he gets a few good finishes in before Christmas, will quickly drop out of the top 50.

His ranking is admittedly something of an irrelevance, in a way, because he's earned a lifetime exemption from qualifying for any regular PGA Tour event he wants to enter by dint of his career victories (the exemption is for having won over 20, and he's won about 60), and similarly as a former champion has lifetime exemptions from qualifying for the Masters, Open Championship and PGA championship (his US Open 'former champion' exemption will run out in 2019). So basically Tiger can stroll up to any event he likes and demand to play, even if he takes five years off. However, the longer he goes without getting back into the groove of playing competitive golf, let alone winning golf, I think could take so much off him, and make it so hard to get back, that he maybe never will.

We maybe are seeing the premature end of one of the most meteoric and successful sporting careers in history. The real irony, too, being that the all-time career record he was chasing - the 18 majors won by Jack Nicklaus - was achieved by a man who won the last 4 of those after his 38th birthday, while Woods has won 14 so far and is only 35 now.

Doesn't deserve to be a zero thread, so my tuppence worth:

I had held the opinion that since golf is not as physically demanding as, say, tennis, then it's very possible that a player could return to the top after a few years. So, whilst Roger Federer will definitely not be winning Grand Slam titles beyond 2013 (if not earlier), we can't say the same about Tiger Woods in golf.

However, the changing demographic of professional golf, where the major winners and leading challengers are now usually twentysomethings rather thirtysomethings, suggests that a return to the top is unlikely for Tiger. Winning the Masters in his forties, long after his era of domination, like Jack Nicklaus did in 1986, and to a lesser extent Greg Norman at the Open in 1993, are much less likely today.

Another doubt I have over Tiger's chances of returning to the top is within himself. Everything about his game involves a mental intensity - not only in the playing but in the practicing and preparation. As the body shows signs of wear & tear - a process which has already begun - his ability to get himself 'just right' lessens. He just won't be able to get himself primed for action like he used to. And it will wreck his head. Darren Clarke finally getting over the line was helped in no small measure to his relaxed attitude and approach. Tiger can't bring himself to approaching the game like that, and is hardly likely to change. I can see the game frustrating him to the point where he packs it in before his time.

Comment

Read a post on a sports blog quoting his swing coach saying he has no idea when Tiger will start playing again. He hasn't picked up a club in a long time, apparently.

He just appears to be relaxing and concentrating on his beard:

Comment

Is that some form of strapless mono-bra he's wearing there?

Comment

Working...
        X