Football night, BBC2, May bank holiday 1994

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a copy of this on tape/DVD that they'd be willing to share?

There was a documentary as part of it that featured, amongst others, Harry Pearson, Mark E. Smith and Nick Hornby talking about their first games that I'm specifically after.

All help gratefully received.

No help here, I'm afraid, but if you don't blink during that documentary, you'll see my seven seconds of BBC televisual fame.

Comment

Didn't the BBC repeat the infamous 'Millwall' Panorama from the late 70's as part of the evening as well?

Comment

I remember watching the football night in question but the only thing I kept were some short clips of highlights (Chile v Italy 62, France v Portugal 84, etc).

Don't ever remember the Millwall documentary being shown again though.

Comment

George wrote:
          Didn't the BBC repeat the infamous 'Millwall' Panorama from the late 70's as part of the evening as well?
          There was a similar football night on BBC2 in 1998 that included a programme hosted by Bob Mills which featured snippets of it. He describes one gent as looking like Bob Hoskins in a wig.

Comment

Wow, I was only thinking about this the other night. I remember parts of it quite well. There was a piece presented by Claire Grogan of Altered Images and Gregory's Girl fame, about the mixture of film and football. Actors who couldn't play football and footballers who couldn't act, that kind of stuff. There was references to football & music, with typical reference Hoddle & Waddle's Diamond Lights, but I also recall Ray Davies singing Autumn Almanac, with the lyrics chaged in the verse that begins "I like my football on a Saturday..."

It concluded with a movie about a twenty-something staunch Labour supporter who was hiking from Southport to Whitby with his girlfriend during the 1970 World Cup and General Election. He becomes distraught with England's defeat to Germany and Wilson's defeat to Heath, and then loses his girlfriend to an Italian fella, so cheers madly for Brazil in the final. I could be wrong, but I think it was titled 'Goal'.

I definitely recorded the whole night, but I moved house a week or two later (during the 50th anniversary celebrations of the D-Day Landings, I recall) and I don't think the tape ever surfaced after the move.

Comment

Giggler wrote:
              George wrote:
              There was a similar football night on BBC2 in 1998 that included a programme hosted by Bob Mills which featured snippets of it. He describes one gent as looking like Bob Hoskins in a wig.
              Ah, that's probably the night I recorded the highlights from.

Comment

Outside Agent wrote:
                It concluded with a movie about a twenty-something staunch Labour supporter who was hiking from Southport to Whitby with his girlfriend during the 1970 World Cup and General Election. He becomes distraught with England's defeat to Germany and Wilson's defeat to Heath, and then loses his girlfriend to an Italian fella, so cheers madly for Brazil in the final. I could be wrong, but I think it was titled 'Goal'.
                Perhaps my mental state is so precarious that a joke has flown over my head here, but in fact it concluded with the film "Goal", the official FIFA film of the 1966 World Cup.

I've got this on video, anyway. Unfortunately, I don't have the tech to transfer that to any shareable electronic format. To be honest, it wasn't all that great anyway. I remember they had a phone-in vote for The Greatest Goal Ever Scored, but the shortlist was entirely made up of past (English) winners of Goal Of The Season, plus a couple of well-known World Cup bits - like those seen-it-all-before, totally-Anglocentric DVD compilations. To be fair, back in 1994 we hadn't really "seen it all before" (at least for a while), but it was kind of obvious that if you're including Diego Maradona vs England and Carlos Alberto vs Italy, then some Tony Morley hit-and-hoper from 25 yards - which is the kind of thing that used to win Goal Of The Season all the time in the 1980s, before we all got jaded - well, it wasn't really in quite the same class. "Surely", I remember thinking at the time, "Johan Cruyff must have scored a better goal than that at some point in his life."

The whole thing was an awful lot better than any equivalent would be now, of course. Still a bunch of talking heads mostly talking bullshit, but at least they were semi-articulate types trying to make a point, rather than no-mark / no-joke comedians desperately seeking something to sneer at. Very middle class, all of it, but that's far better than what you get now: very middle class but trying desperately to be down with the kids, "down" being the operative word.

Shouldn't really scoff at the BBC's run of football series / documentaries from the early-mid 90s, actually, because whatever their faults those bandwagon-riding progs were all far superior to the mulch shovelled into our laps of late. "Kicking And Screaming", for all its winsome sentimentality, was a fascinating history of the English game, and "Football Fussball Voetbal" was the kind of show they just wouldn't even consider these days (history of European football, taken a country at a time - I've got a couple of episodes as very low-quality AVI files, and would love to see the rest again). "Match Of The Seventies" was a brilliant show as well, despite carrying in its greatness the seeds of the format's eventual destruction - matiness, retro-industry nostalgia, overediting of archive clips.

Anyway, ummm... this is no help at all, is it?

Comment

Taylor wrote:
                  Outside Agent wrote:
                  Perhaps my mental state is so precarious that a joke has flown over my head here, but in fact it concluded with the film "Goal", the official FIFA film of the 1966 World Cup.

I've got this on video, anyway. Unfortunately, I don't have the tech to transfer that to any shareable electronic format. To be honest, it wasn't all that great anyway. I remember they had a phone-in vote for The Greatest Goal Ever Scored, but the shortlist was entirely made up of past (English) winners of Goal Of The Season, plus a couple of well-known World Cup bits - like those seen-it-all-before, totally-Anglocentric DVD compilations. To be fair, back in 1994 we hadn't really "seen it all before" (at least for a while), but it was kind of obvious that if you're including Diego Maradona vs England and Carlos Alberto vs Italy, then some Tony Morley hit-and-hoper from 25 yards - which is the kind of thing that used to win Goal Of The Season all the time in the 1980s, before we all got jaded - well, it wasn't really in quite the same class. "Surely", I remember thinking at the time, "Johan Cruyff must have scored a better goal than that at some point in his life."

The whole thing was an awful lot better than any equivalent would be now, of course. Still a bunch of talking heads mostly talking bullshit, but at least they were semi-articulate types trying to make a point, rather than no-mark / no-joke comedians desperately seeking something to sneer at. Very middle class, all of it, but that's far better than what you get now: very middle class but trying desperately to be down with the kids, "down" being the operative word.

Shouldn't really scoff at the BBC's run of football series / documentaries from the early-mid 90s, actually, because whatever their faults those bandwagon-riding progs were all far superior to the mulch shovelled into our laps of late. "Kicking And Screaming", for all its winsome sentimentality, was a fascinating history of the English game, and "Football Fussball Voetbal" was the kind of show they just wouldn't even consider these days (history of European football, taken a country at a time - I've got a couple of episodes as very low-quality AVI files, and would love to see the rest again). "Match Of The Seventies" was a brilliant show as well, despite carrying in its greatness the seeds of the format's eventual destruction - matiness, retro-industry nostalgia, overediting of archive clips.

Anyway, ummm... this is no help at all, is it?
                  Who was the guy who said that if you can slice a cow in half and suspend it in formaldehyde and call it art, there's no reason you can't call Tranmere versus Scunthorpe in the Freight Rover art?

Comment

Dunno, but maybe the answer should be, "Well, the latter actually means something."

Comment

Taylor wrote:

Some magnificent shows there (especially FFV) which I still have in bits and pieces and am slowly cobbling together. I used to record far more footy stuff off the BBC in those days, although "World Cup Stories" in 2006 was very watchable. I don't recall anything major being screened before Euro 2008 and the last World Cup.

That footy night is coming back to me now. I certainly remember that film set in 1970 although have no idea what is was actually called.

Comment

After some hours, I've finally twigged as to what this thread refers.

The evening was called Goal TV, and preceded the 1994 World Cup by a couple of weeks or so. I still have several hours of it on VHS (as was our wont back then) in reasonable quality, but excluding the film (which I watched 'live' and thought was quite good) and the Goal! 1966 World Cup movie which I had/have anyway.

Also featured were some extended highlights of great matches, including France vs Portugal (Euro 1984) and Brazil vs Italy (WC 1982), both of which were, of course, corkers. In the mix as well was 'No Hiding Place' - the classic 'score-avoidance' edition of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? which I now have on DVD and which needs little further description here.

I shall dig the tape out shortly and see what else is on it...

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                          In the mix as well was 'No Hiding Place' - the classic 'score-avoidance' edition of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? which I now have on DVD and which needs little further description here.
                          Krect. First ever episode I saw, aged 13 on that May bank holiday night. And with that, a love was born.

Comment

'Course some of us remember it from when it was first shown...

Comment

Giggler wrote:
                              Who was the guy who said that if you can slice a cow in half and suspend it in formaldehyde and call it art, there's no reason you can't call Tranmere versus Scunthorpe in the Freight Rover art?
                              That was John Duncan, who used to work for WSC in the earlier days. Think he's at the Observer now.

Comment

Not anymore. He moved to the States a couple of years back

Comment

Dug out my (surprisingly good quality) VHS copy of this last night/this morning - and enjoyed it a great deal. The running order was as follows:

7.30 Intro
                                  7.35 Brazil '70 (celluloid highlights of Pele, Jair, Gerson, Rivelino and co)
                                  7.45 Dear Football (Stuart Cosgrove-led compilation of fans' letters - some real, some fake)
                                  8.0 Real Madrid vs Eintracht Frankfurt (1960 EC Final)
                                  8.05 The World of Georgie Best (doc about the man from 1970 - ie, when people still called him 'Georgie')
                                  8.30 Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? 'No Hiding Place' (classic sitcom episode from 1972)
                                  9.0 Chile vs Italy (1962 WC Group match - framed by David Coleman's timeless indignation)
                                  9.05 The Ball is Round (Nick Hornby plus journos, media types and Chris Waddle discuss what the game means to them)
                                  9.45 Football Hell (comedy snips and football howlers)
                                  9.55 Brazil vs Italy (1982 WC second round match)
                                  10.0 Half Time (great selection of vintage commercials, including Johnny Haynes advertising Shredded Wheat and Pat Jennings dressed as an oil filter)
                                  10.05 The Greatest Goal (invitation to vote for the best goal ever - unsurprisingly won by Maradona's second vs England in 1986)
                                  10.15 L'etranger (the goalkeeper's view of the game, including contributions from John Burridge and Dave Beasant)
                                  10.30 France vs Portugal (1984 Euro semi-final)
                                  10.35 The Crying Game (journos and fans discuss England vs W Germany from 1990)
                                  10.50 The Beautiful Frame (Clare Grogan somewhat under-employed as she links films/TV including Gregory's Girl (obviously), The Manageress and Jossie's Giants)
                                  11.05 Goal! (official FIFA film of World Cup 1966)
                                  12.45 The End (signalled by Jack Taylor's whistle)

Comment

The Brazil 70 slot was sublime as it alerted me to the delights of Screamadelica, which formed the soundtrack to the mazy runs of Jairzinho and co.

That night, I was stuck on a family get-together which culminated in my being forced to accompany my blessed mother to a viewing of Four Fucking Weddings and a Cunting Funeral, thereby missing the rest of this epic.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                      Dug out my (surprisingly good quality) VHS copy of this last night/this morning - and enjoyed it a great deal. The running order was as follows:

7.30 Intro
                                      7.35 Brazil '70 (celluloid highlights of Pele, Jair, Gerson, Rivelino and co)
                                      7.45 Dear Football (Stuart Cosgrove-led compilation of fans' letters - some real, some fake)
                                      8.0 Real Madrid vs Eintracht Frankfurt (1960 EC Final)
                                      8.05 The World of Georgie Best (doc about the man from 1970 - ie, when people still called him 'Georgie')
                                      8.30 Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? 'No Hiding Place' (classic sitcom episode from 1972)
                                      9.0 Chile vs Italy (1962 WC Group match - framed by David Coleman's timeless indignation)
                                      9.05 The Ball is Round (Nick Hornby plus journos, media types and Chris Waddle discuss what the game means to them)
                                      9.55 Brazil vs Italy (1982 WC second round match)
                                      10.0 Half Time (great selection of vintage commercials, including Johnny Haynes advertising Shredded Wheat and Pat Jennings dressed as an oil filter)
                                      10.05 The Greatest Goal (invitation to vote for the best goal ever - unsurprisingly won by Maradona's second vs England in 1986)
                                      10.15 L'etranger (the goalkeeper's view of the game, including contributions from John Burridge and Dave Beasant)
                                      10.30 France vs Portugal (1984 Euro semi-final)
                                      10.35 The Crying Game (journos and fans discuss England vs W Germany from 1990)
                                      10.50 The Beautiful Frame (Clare Grogan somewhat under-employed as she links films/TV including Gregory's Girl (obviously), The Manageress and Jossie's Giants)
                                      11.05 Goal! (official FIFA film of World Cup 1966)
                                      12.45 The End (signalled by Jack Taylor's whistle)
                                      If you transfer this to DVD, don't transfer at DVD-LP (4 hour) or DVD-EP (6 hour). Your DVD will look like crap. DVD-LP is way worse than VHS-LP. You should split it up across 3 DVDs at 2 hour and 1 hour. DVDs are cheap.

Comment

No help here, I'm afraid, but if you don't blink during that documentary, you'll see my seven seconds of BBC televisual fame.

I always thought mooning was a lost art.

Comment

I had/have that night on video. I believe its got the usual George Best ripping Colin Todd/Sunderland to shreds, him pouring the champagne glass pyramid and his gardenless Bauhaus/Toilet Block house on.

If its still around itll be in the loft and Ive no idea how to transfer it to dvd or tinternet. I cant even post links or upload mp3s or download dodgy music. Too fuckin lazy.

Comment

I'll try to convert this onto DVD - though last time I attempted this, it didn't work...

Comment

that brazil slot was originally shown before the 1984 cup final, i had it on tape for years

Comment

its this john duncan right?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jdduncan

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                                  I found this from that before our first game of the season at the Galpharm:

Comment

Working...
                                                  X