No announcement yet.

Some pictures what I drew (redux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not necessarily, I think it's got a kinetic appeal all of it's own and people will seek out the references. You have to understand what a sponge for cultural ephemera millennials are and how much London dictates that culture across Britain and wider.

Of course, if you listen to grime and/or watch certain films/TV shows you have a head start and while I do a little of that I'm a near 50 year old, middle class father of three living in the suburbs and there's enough there for me.

Having Akinfenwa in the ad helps, obvs bruv.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-02-2018, 14:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      I'm a Londoner.
      <Files for future use>

Comment

I've considered myself a Londoner for nearly 40 years, what's the issue?

Comment

What Ray said

Comment

You have to understand what a sponge for cultural ephemera millennials are and how much London dictates that culture across Britain and wider.

I'm reasonably sure Mancs, Scousers, Brummies and Loiners are all well aware what diversity looks like without Nike having to explain it to them using Londoners.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
              You have to understand what a sponge for cultural ephemera millennials are and how much London dictates that culture across Britain and wider.

I'm reasonably sure Mancs, Scousers, Brummies and Loiners are all well aware what diversity looks like without Nike having to explain it to them using Londoners.
              For fuck's sake, that's not even approaching anything like what I was saying though, is it?

Ad hoc asked if people needed to live in London to get the references and I was responding to that.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking more of things like bits about Peckham. (Which to me is where Del Boy and Rodney lived, but with that being at least a 30 year old reference point no longer relevant)

Comment

I would think the fact that the cartoon which references the ad is by someone from Swindon who has lived in Australia for many years would make my point.

Comment

RdG: I'm not having a go (and apologies if it seems like I was), but there's a flaky narrative that London's the only place in the UK where you find non-white culture and Nike seem to have inadvertently joined in with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      What Ray said
                      You're a Londoner too?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Yes, I was thinking more of things like bits about Peckham. (Which to me is where Del Boy and Rodney lived, but with that being at least a 30 year old reference point no longer relevant)
                        I'm not having a go but I think that says more about you than the ad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          I'm not having a go but I think that says more about you than the ad.
                          Can you say more what you mean? I'm not accusing you of having a go at all, but I'm not sure what it says about me - that i know nothing about what Peckham circa 2018 is like? That I don't really even know where Peckham is in London (east-ish I assume). These things are true. I'm assuming from the ad that Peckham is shorthand for "the really shit and very dodgy bit of London that everybody tries to avoid", but that seems to be what it was 30 years ago and it would surprise me to learn that this is still the case given that most of the other areas that were shorthand for that 30 years ago have clearly gone way up market now.

Comment

It feels like this is the moment when OTF as a collective realizes they are old and completely out of touch with the yoof.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                              RdG: I'm not having a go (and apologies if it seems like I was), but there's a flaky narrative that London's the only place in the UK where you find non-white culture and Nike seem to have inadvertently joined in with it.
                              I think it's a huge stretch to read it in that way and you have to have a predisposition of peevishness towards London to do so. Look, there are plenty of reasons for people in other parts of the UK to resent the country's Londoncentricity but to object to this ad on those grounds is just...well, it's just weird. The ad isn't celebrating bankers, media power brokers or corporate titans - it's a nod to the kind of people who often get the shitty end of living in the city.

Comment

Having not seen it, I'm assuming that it's an advertisment to sell pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                  It feels like this is the moment when OTF as a collective realizes they are old and completely out of touch with the yoof.
                                  You think we didn;t already know that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    Having not seen it, I'm assuming that it's an advertisment to sell pumps.
                                    Daps I think.

Comment

Can you say more what you mean? I'm not accusing you of having a go at all, but I'm not sure what it says about me - that i know nothing about what Peckham circa 2018 is like? That I don't really even know where Peckham is in London (east-ish I assume). These things are true. I'm assuming from the ad that Peckham is shorthand for "the really shit and very dodgy bit of London that everybody tries to avoid", but that seems to be what it was 30 years ago and it would surprise me to learn that this is still the case given that most of the other areas that were shorthand for that 30 years ago have clearly gone way up market now.
                                      Peckham has more of a feel of the South London of thirty years ago than anywhere else I've gone to in the last few years. When I went there (for the first time in quite a while) recently I actually thought that the high street really reminded me of Brixton in the mid to late eighties. As an aside it was the first time I can recall seeing a security guard at the door of a McDonalds at 6pm in the evening (that might be quite common and I've led too sheltered a life recently).

There is a certainly a kind of low-rent hipster element there in places like the Bussey Building and it will probably go in a Hoxton direction but I'm not sure quite how much gentrification there is yet, perhaps in patches, but I didn't get a chance to stray far from the high street.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-02-2018, 15:56.

Comment

You think we didn;t already know that ?
                                        I think this is a much larger collective "what??" moment than I have seen. Individually I am sure people are aware.

Comment

We just don't understand grime culture.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                            I think this is a much larger collective "what??" moment than I have seen. Individually I am sure people are aware.
                                            It feels like I'm the only one - young whippersnappers like Ray and DD and UA are obviously totally on board with the cut up short attention span urban vibe of the thing, and the only other people complaining are more looking at the London as cultural leader aspect of it.

Comment

Christ I am beginning to feel like Bordeaux Education here. What is "Attack the Block"?
                                              Hey, I watched "Attack the Block" ages ago, fam.

Comment

It feels like I'm the only one - young whippersnappers like Ray and DD and UA are obviously totally on board with the cut up short attention span urban vibe of the thing, and the only other people complaining are more looking at the London as cultural leader aspect of it.
                                                Too many words, Grandad. TL.DR

Comment

I am so far out of touch with da yoof that I still say “ de yout’ dem” when I want to jokily indicate that I am old, white and out of touch.

Comment

Shows how far out of it I am when I have no idea what BE is referring to when he says "fam" in his post above.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X