• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some pictures what I drew (redux)

One of my favourite ever songs, that.

Comment

Love this series so v pleased to hear that it continues next season BDG. Congrats!

Comment

Thanks again, folks. Really overwhelmed by the positive response these cartoons have got, especially from my friends on here.

And God I hope Louis Van Gaal sticks around for a few seasons, as he really is a joy to draw.

Comment

he's also er.... a larger than life character.

Comment

Can I be the first to say that BDG has jumped the shark here. The cartoons are too idiosyncratic for us that eschew top flight and, indeed, any successful football. Bah, humbug!

Comment

I see BDG has persuaded former-OTFer Spearmint Rhino to make a guest appearance in his latest Australian cartoon.

He's also punished me for my regular "I don't get..." confusion by featuring me in the last frame.

Comment

Let's hope we get one on FIFA.

It's a decent likeness as well Harry.

Comment

He's going to have to tell me who it is when he's on next though, which sees his plan blow up in his face.

Comment

He draws better likenesses that that, mate.

Comment

I want to know how large a cash payment would be required to be included in a strip.

Comment

I don't get it.

Comment

I thought this one might take a bit of explanation for people who don't follow the A-League (i.e. 99.9999999999999999999% of the World's population).

The man in the last panel is Nathan Tinkler. Until recently, he was the controversial owner of Newcastle Jets. He was rarely seen at games until the last home game of the season, when he made a rather ostentatious display of mingling with the most active section of the Newcastle fanbase (mostly teenagers). A couple of weeks later, the Australian football association revoked his operating license and the club was put into administration. Here's a picture of him:

Comment

Congratulations Dave. Particularly liked the expat in the two-club scarf (eating pickled oniions).

And the Channel Seven panel would be hilarious, it wasn't so true. See also Murdoch's Nine Network. It makes you despair, knowing people are lapping their stuff up.

Comment

Cheers Sits.Yeah, I watched a few minutes of Seven News as research. Never let it be said I don't suffer for my art.

Felt like a bit of a traitor for the ex-pat joke, as everyone I go to watch the A-League with is a migrant. I'll push anyone under the bus for the lolz. Mind you, the people I know who are most dismissive of the A-League are also Brits, so there you go.

Comment

It would be criminally remiss of me to go without remarking how Mr. Squires's illustrations are quite superb, distinct in style and quality and very, very funny. His back's probably aching from all those bows he's had to take from people continually voicing their appreciation for his output. Sorry mate, you're going to have to do it again. Take a bow, David.

And keep it up.

Comment

Thanks Ian. My back is aching, as it happens, but it's purely from the really poor posture I assume when peering over my drawing board. Need to address that, or I'll be walking like a right angle by the time I'm 50.

Comment

Are you really still drawing these all with ye olde pencil and paper, then augmenting with the vertical hold artists pen?

Comment

I draw them with fine-liner pens, then fill in the tone with Copic markers, tidying it up a bit in a free Photoshop alternative, Pixlr. I could probably make life a bit easier for myself if I learned how to create them all digitally.

Comment

Dammit
                                        Does everything have to turn a buck?

http://entertainment.guardianoffers....david-squires/

Still, good luck to David. He's a lovely guy and very funny man.
                                        Fucked if I'm paying anyone £20 for a tshirt, though.

Comment

I saw them last week, there's a few individual frames from past strips that I would certainly have on a mug.

Comment

Maybe that came across a bit wrong. It's just mildly disappointing that genius like this ends up as product. It's a bit like finding Crass t-shirts for sale in Smash Hits.

I hope David makes a lot more out of it than the Grauniad
                                            Everyone's gotta pay the bills.

Comment

You've sold out, man.

Comment

Preferred the early stuff.

Comment

Yeah, he was much better when nobody else had heard of him.

Comment

Bill Watterson would be appalled.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X