Some pictures what I drew (redux)

The Gazza one was brilliant.

Good stuff.

Comment

Genius

Comment

I think these are definitely good enough for those wingnuts at OTF. The Gazza one reminded me very much of VIZ.

I've been cartooning on and off 30 years now and these just made me a lot jealous. Really, really good.

Comment

Nice work BDG. What/who are your main comic strip influences?

Comment

Thanks guys; I know I've said it a few times, but I really appreciate your comments.

Nice work BDG. What/who are your main comic strip influences?
            Artistically, I'm a big fan of Jacques Tardi and Joe Sacco. In terms of humour, I adore Kate Beaton's work. It was actually reading through her archive of work that inspired me pick up a pencil again after a long period of inactivity.

Incidentally, I've updated the website today with a cartoon about Ashley Cole. It was the first thing I'd drawn in months, which explains why there are a few bits which are a bit wobbly.

Next week: something sarcastic about West Ham.

Comment

Those are brilliant. The only problem is that there should be a lot more of them. I think the best thing about them is how you progress the story in such a fluid and economical way. particularly the Gazza one.

Comment

Bit of an update on three recent cartoons...

Something sarcastic about West Ham

Something about end-of-season shenanigans at Chelsea

Something that has nothing to do with football at all

In other news - and I hope My Name Is Ian doesn't mind me revealing this - I've agreed to take on the illustration of Shit Shot Mungo on Twohundredpercent for a while. First edition is in the oven and should hopefully be cooked by the weekend.

As you all know, Dotmund is exceptionally talented, so I've got some pretty big shoes to fill. Gulp.

Comment

Nothing to do with football? Erm how are we supposed to understand it?

Comment

Also, could you do a cartoon about Charlie Adam's overwhelming sex appeal?

Comment

Big Daves Gussett wrote:
                      In other news - and I hope My Name Is Ian doesn't mind me revealing this - I've agreed to take on the illustration of Shit Shot Mungo on Twohundredpercent for a while. First edition is in the oven and should hopefully be cooked by the weekend.

As you all know, Dotmund is exceptionally talented, so I've got some pretty big shoes to fill. Gulp.
                      Blimey. Good luck with that Dave! Just the illustration, though? So you're not going to be writing them? Is Dotmund still going to be doing that? If you are expected to script them as well, you'd better get your silly hat on...

Comment

Writing and illustration, Sam. The last season ended with Mungo signing for Primrose Hill Ramblers, so I have the freedom to create a whole new world. There's no way I can out-silly Dotmund (I re-read the back catalogue in preparation, which intimidated the shit out of me for a week or so), and my cartonns move at a slower pace, so I think it's best to give it my own take and hope that Mungo fanatics don't form a posse and burn down my studio.

Thankfully, it's a well known fact that most people adore change - particularly when it comes to their much-loved cartoon characters. Um, yeah. Shit.

Comment

Jimmy Bignutz wrote:
                          Also, could you do a cartoon about Charlie Adam's overwhelming sex appeal?
                          There are limits to my artistic talents, Jimmy.

Comment

I love those. You've created a great roman abramovich character. But like with the sperm whale, it's all the carefully chosen little details. I love the way you drew the hairs on the monkey.

Comment

Cheers Berbaslug. I do enjoy drawing Roman. I think I've seen too many Bond films.

I'm my own worst enemy with the level of detail though - it takes me weeks to produce even the simplest of cartoons. I hope Mungo fans are patient...

Comment

My Name Is Ian is twohundredpercent? I had no idea.

Comment

Brilliant again, BDG, bur I can't help feeling that you are wasting this on us when, I am sure, you could produce them professionally or get them in a magazine (maybe not the Abramovich ones). Don't stop posting them though. There is always a detail that makes me laugh. It was the Abramovich "Oh for.." this time

Comment

Fantastic stuff. It's great to be reminded there are some very talented people on this board.

Comment

Err, umm, yeah. The only thing that I wasn't aware of about this was the dates, but I'm glad that this is going ahead like this. Dotmund is currently disillusioned with football in general - I think that Brighton doing well has thrown his universe slightly off-balance - but he will be girding his loins for a series of unconnected strips which will, I think, just be called "Football Strip". It's a pun, innit?

Comment

That's great news, and I speak as someone who has dotmund's cut out and eat guide to the world cup animals as a desktop. The man has a way with a pen.

Comment

That Abramovich and Ancelotti one is magnificent

Comment

Thanks chaps; as I said in my opening post on this thread, you lot are my target audience, so the words of encouragement mean a lot. Also, it's been helpful to gauge what people like and given me a bit of direction on what to focus on.

Bored of Education wrote:
                                            Brilliant again, BDG, bur I can't help feeling that you are wasting this on us when, I am sure, you could produce them professionally or get them in a magazine (maybe not the Abramovich ones). Don't stop posting them though. There is always a detail that makes me laugh. It was the Abramovich "Oh for.." this time
                                            Cheers BoE. I'm happy just doing these for myself and for you lot at the moment. I've produced stuff professionally in the past, but often found that I don't create my best work when I'm being paid to do so (a good example would be when I was asked to do some work for WSC a few years back, which resulted in my painting some of my worst stuff. That still keeps me awake some nights). All those years of watching Swindon has clearly left me with a budgie heart, as I usually fold under the slightest amount of pressure. I'm content just doing it for fun, really.

Comment

BDG, you are a very talented man, sir.
                                              Absolutely superb stuff, I nearly choked reading the opening line of Di Canio's letter.
                                              I shall be saving the updates for tomorrow.
                                              Thanks for the laughs.

Comment

This is superb.

Comment

I should also point out - as I didn't do this before and should have done - that we are delighted to welcome BDG to Twohundredpercent. As has been pointed out up-thread, he is extremely talented. One down on my wish-list of OTFers to get involved with the old place down, six to go.

Comment

The BDG graffitti between Waterloo East and London Bridge seems to have gone? Has it been demolished during the "works" going on round there or does the new "rail bridge" block the view?
                                                    I dont travel that line very often and Im missing BDG already.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X