Some pictures what I drew (redux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger pronounced "Rarjar"

If Squires is going to do the gas fans as running characters, why not put them on the mug?

Comment

https://twitter.com/squires_david/status/1062476954933243904?s=21

Comment

I have to say, one of the nicest random strangers I've ever met at an away game was a Bristol Rovers fan a couple of years ago who snuck us into the clubhouse. He also met my dad and came up with the perfect description of him within a couple of minutes of meeting him.

Comment

It’s good to know Squires can concede he’s been too cryptic sometimes.

Comment

Now that I understand the gag, the transposition to Brizzle is fucking genius spoofing. But yeah, if the joke has to be explained it's never going to be as funny.

Comment

Do Rovers fans have a more bumpkinish reputation than City? Or is it that the blue/white quarters make them more identifiable for the gag?
              Answering my own question, it's also a callback to when Rovers' clubhouse was in the news (and covered by Squires) for showing Babestation.

Comment

Yeah I didn't get it at all, and then I did see the explanation, I concluded BDG wanted to work them back in as he'd already used them relatively recently for the Babestation thing.

In the link in BDG's tweet, I did laugh at 'Could Squires be a gashead?' – these are clearly people who don't have much of an interest in his work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                  Do Rovers fans have a more bumpkinish reputation than City?
                  Interesting question. Not sure why the joke works more with Roverzz fans than Zzitee. I can see the line of thought: Project Longbow -> Strongbow -> cider -> who drinks cider? -> West Country -> Bristol.

Unfortunately people had to have heard of Project Longbow to get the joke and it would appear lots of people hadn't.

Comment

Surely as a Swindon fan, he should be taking these kind of jibes at Oxford?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      Yeah I didn't get it at all, and then I did see the explanation, I concluded BDG wanted to work them back in as he'd already used them relatively recently for the Babestation thing.

In the link in BDG's tweet, I did laugh at 'Could Squires be a gashead?' – these are clearly people who don't have much of an interest in his work at all.
                      Or much interest in being journalists, either.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                        Do Rovers fans have a more bumpkinish reputation than City? Or is it that the blue/white quarters make them more identifiable for the gag?
                        Answering my own question, it's also a callback to when Rovers' clubhouse was in the news (and covered by Squires) for showing Babestation.
                        Bristol City supporters maybe have a more bumpkinish reputation because they traditionally come from south Bristol, which is closer to Somerset than the rest of the city (thus the association with The Wurzels).

Bristol Rovers supporters, however, are actually less intelligent and smell worse. I know this because I grew up in east Bristol (predominantly Bristol Rovers) and because my aunts, uncles and cousins were/are Bristol Rovers supporters. Our family gatherings were cauldrons of stench and stupidity.

Comment

Another thing: this "Brizzle" nonsense. A Bristolian pronounces the name of their home city "Bristaw" (unless they're Bristol Rovers supporters, in which case they scratch their head and say, "Us 'ome city? Casn't 'elp "ee, sorray."). It rhymes with, I don't know, "pissed whore", not with "drizzle".

Comment

Pretty sure the Brizzle nonsense has been generated by people from Brizzle. You've been a long time gone, trebs.

(A bit like the Wenglish "look you" and "Who's coat's this jacket hanging up on the floor" post Gavin and Stacey has been mainly perpetrated by Welsh people themselves)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Pretty sure the Brizzle nonsense has been generated by people from Brizzle. You've been a long time gone, trebs.

(A bit like the Wenglish "look you" and "Who's coat's this jacket hanging up on the floor" post Gavin and Stacey has been mainly perpetrated by Welsh people themselves)
                              I've only been gone 33 years.

It's the people who've moved to, rather than who come from, Bristol who are responsible for it, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Ahem... not all of us.

Comment

The north's a different country 3CR

Comment

Ha ha, that is my mate Greg - an ex-pat Spurs supporters covering City games - doing the sardonic article.

Comment

Anyone got any idea why the Guardian have'nt activated the comments section for this week's strip?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                        Another thing: this "Brizzle" nonsense. A Bristolian pronounces the name of their home city "Bristaw" (unless they're Bristol Rovers supporters, in which case they scratch their head and say, "Us 'ome city? Casn't 'elp "ee, sorray."). It rhymes with, I don't know, "pissed whore", not with "drizzle".
                                        I've always thought that "Bristle" was a decent approximation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                          I've always thought that "Bristle" was a decent approximation.
                                          "Thought" thought 'e shit 'inself, but 'e only far'ed".

Comment

Redknapp's eaten Nick Knowles!

Comment

I didn't know that about Shilts (sp).

Comment

I don't normally join in with the accolades as it's usually all a bit too Premier League for me, but standing ovation for Ivor Broadis making an appearance, and applause for what I take to be a Threads nod.

Comment

Not a vintage strip this week but good to see Squires relentless campaign of hate against Bristolians continues with the Scudamore panel.

Comment

I liked the final panel. Mainly for Koeman's expression.

And Generic Question Time Audience Member's scarf.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X