RWC 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RWC 2011

If someone hadn't poisoned them in 1995 they'd have easily won that one as well, so at least would only have blown it in 3 variously hilarious ways since their last win.

Comment

RWC 2011

Tony C wrote:
      Like most of the WC reviews I've seen, the Dalaglio show tended to go easy on the appalling NZ record in the competition.

Most pundits still cheerfully cite the All Blacks as the benchmark for excellence in the world game despite only one win in 24 years. It's not unlike regarding England as the premier football nation in the world despite similar evidence to the contrary.

Deep down, I'm convinced they'll find another way to blow it again this time round.
      Soz, my man, this isn't football. Those Test matches between World Cups matter, and the All Blacks absolutely shit all over the competition in 98% of those, so they're still the benchmark of excellence, and they will be even if they don't win this one.

Comment

RWC 2011

G.Man wrote:
        all predicted France to beat England in their expected quarter-final
        Are Argentina that hopeless?
        No, they just never play together.

Also they don't have a lot of people who play on Sky all the time so Dallaglio and Jones have no idea who their best players are.

Also, Hernandez is out.

They could fail to get out of the pool, but they could also top their pool. I wouldn't be surprised at either.

Comment

RWC 2011

Teams starting to come in - the Aussies are continuing to punish O'Bieber by only bringing him onto the bench against Italy. Cue rumours of punch ups, Robbie Deans' gambling addiction, fallings out, player meetings on the internet.

Amazing how little publicity this has had, although since I only watch ITV4 for the rugby highlights I couldn't say whether they've been running any trails for it. Radio Times front cover has a big promo, cunningly designed to piss off Gort/Paley/Stefan Palethorpe/fasdunkle or whatever the obsessive lunatic calls himself today.

Strangely not that excited. Probably the bloody stupid kick off times thanks to it being in NZ. 4.30 a.m., anyone?

Comment

RWC 2011

Yeah, that's utter madness. It's not like they're short on quality in the backline, but he's very possibly the best of 'em all - and certainly their best kicker.

Having been at a high pitch of excitement for a few weeks, I'm in a bit of a lull at the mo - a lot of it, I think, is indeed the kick-off times.

Comment

RWC 2011

Flynnie wrote:
              Tony C wrote:
              Like most of the WC reviews I've seen, the Dalaglio show tended to go easy on the appalling NZ record in the competition.

Most pundits still cheerfully cite the All Blacks as the benchmark for excellence in the world game despite only one win in 24 years. It's not unlike regarding England as the premier football nation in the world despite similar evidence to the contrary.

Deep down, I'm convinced they'll find another way to blow it again this time round.
              Soz, my man, this isn't football. Those Test matches between World Cups matter, and the All Blacks absolutely shit all over the competition in 98% of those, so they're still the benchmark of excellence, and they will be even if they don't win this one.
              Surely the Test matches between World Cups only matter as an indicator as to a team's progress towards the next WC. Whilst both the Six Nations and the Tri-Nations tournaments continue to be keenly contested their importance is very secondary to the World Cup.

Nobody beats up the All Blacks more than themselves (and their own media) over their reputation for choking on the big stage; it's the one that really matters now and they know it. You might still believe that they are "still the benchmark of excellence and will be even if they don't win this one" but they won't.

Comment

RWC 2011

As I always tell my students in essay writing tips: to a first approximation, all sentences beginning with the word "surely" are false.

The World Cup is the biggest deal, sure. nobody disputes that. But still, it simply doesn't have the status in rugby that it does in football. It's a much younger competition for a start, but also the regularity of prvincial competitions means it's easy for people who are primarily football fans to miss their significance. Rugby has the equivalent of a European Championships, Copa America, ACN, every year, including World Cup years. For that reason they're not as big a deal as the football equivalents, but they're much closer to that than friendlie. And it would be plainly fatuous to dismiss as "underachievers" a side who won three out of every four Euros, while never quite living up to their billing as favourites at World Cup time...

Comment

RWC 2011

Final warmup lost, 20-14, to Japan in Tokyo. God help us.

Comment

RWC 2011

Brandenburger Toro wrote:
                    As I always tell my students in essay writing tips: to a first approximation, all sentences beginning with the word "surely" are false.....

For that reason they're not as big a deal as the football equivalents, but they're much closer to that than friendlie....
                    As I always tell my pupils: never trust a man who struggles with his plurals.

Pedantic, you say?

Comment

RWC 2011

An Australian victory over South Africa in the final for me: the Wallabies peaking at just the right period of the four-year cycle, while the All Blacks are getting their retaliation in early, and imploding before the tournament even begins.

Comment

RWC 2011

France could be the best European side, but the big unknown might be the weather. I fear the England tactic of a team of giants who can win with penalties and drop goals could ruin the whole thing as a spectacle.

Scotland propbably lack strength in depth for the scrums, especially for the Sunday games where Euan Murray isn't available. Also short on creativity if some key backs pick up injuries.

Comment

RWC 2011

Can anyone explain Hook at full back for Sunday to me? I know Byrne is horribly off form but I thought Hook was finally going to get the run at undisputed first choice outside half that he deserves.

Is it just to protect him from a mauling by the Boks?

Comment

RWC 2011

Will this be on tv in the US?

Comment

RWC 2011

Reed, some of the US matches at least will be, apparently. See link below to BBC page on whether the RWC will raise the profile of rugby in the US:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14725789

At 13:00 ET on Sunday, rugby fans in the US will be able to turn on a mainstream television network, NBC Sports, and watch the USA Eagles, ranked 18th in the world, take on Ireland in their opening World Cup match. It's a delayed broadcast because of the time difference

Comment

RWC 2011

Well, NZ see off Tonga, although their second half wasn't up to much. The French will be looking at the NZ scrum once the replacements came on and licking their lips.

England name Armitage the Stroppy rather than Banahan, thank heavens.

Harry, I reckon Hook is there to take the pressure of Priestland as he can step in at 10 as well. Still can't see the Welsh beating the Boks, though, your lineout will be (even more of) a horror show once Matfield gets going. Although once Smith moves to TH you'll have much more fun in the scrums.

Comment

RWC 2011

I'm already conditioned to look away from any lineout in a Wales game and I may just leave the room for ones against SA.

Comment

RWC 2011

Diable Rouge wrote:
                                    An Australian victory over South Africa in the final for me: the Wallabies peaking at just the right period of the four-year cycle, while the All Blacks are getting their retaliation in early, and imploding before the tournament even begins.
                                    Wallabies can look hugely impressive when things are going right; but their scrum is paper-thin, and their attack is led by a guy who's frequently capable of genius, but is basically Carlos Spencer without the concentration, backbone, and steely will to win. And who can't tackle. Also, none of them can place-kick.

South Africa are ancient, coached by a maniac, and pretty one-dimensional. The rules changes make kicking the ball really high up in the air over and over again a rather less effective tactic than it was four years ago.

AFC42 wrote:
                                    Scotland propbably lack strength in depth for the scrums, especially for the Sunday games where Euan Murray isn't available. Also short on creativity if some key backs pick up injuries.
                                    Euan Murray has, since the Lions tour, been jsut as effective a scrummager on Sundays as any other day of the week. I'm afraid they're stuck with Moray Low and his Giant Heid. Who are the key backs, though? Sean Lamont has a bit of bosh to him, Ansbro a bit of pace... and that's about it. The rest are hopeless.

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                    Can anyone explain Hook at full back for Sunday to me? I know Byrne is horribly off form but I thought Hook was finally going to get the run at undisputed first choice outside half that he deserves.

Is it just to protect him from a mauling by the Boks?
                                    I think Priestland (who is a genius in the making) is probably the best running 10 available to them; certainly the Priestland-Hook combination gives you a lot more guile than Hook-Byrne. They've plenty of pace and bosh in the centres, this looks to me like the most balanced backline they have, even if Jones were available.

Armitage, even out of position, is immeasurably superior to Banahan. I'd even trust him more as a lineout jumper. England have - almost by accident - suddenly got a nice-looking backline together. Thank goodness they don't look like they plan to ever use it...

Comment

RWC 2011

USA lineup to face Ireland:

15 Blaine Scully (Unattached)
                                      14 Takudzwa Ngwenya (Biarritz)
                                      13 Paul Emerick (Life University)
                                      12 Andrew Suniula (Chicago Griffins)
                                      11 James Paterson (Highlanders)
                                      10 Roland Suniula (Boston Rugby)
                                      9 Mike Petri (New York Athletic Club)
                                      1 Mike MacDonald (Leeds Carnegie)
                                      2 Phil Thiel (Life University)
                                      3 Shawn Pittman (London Welsh)
                                      4 John van der Giessen (Unattached)
                                      5 Hayden Smith (Saracens)
                                      6 Louis Stanfill (Unattached)
                                      7 Todd Clever (Suntory Sungoliath) *Captain
                                      8 Nic Johnson (Unattached)

Reserves:

16 Chris Biller (San Francisco Golden Gate)
                                      17 Mate Moeakiola (Bobigny 93)
                                      18 Scott LaValla (Stade Francais)
                                      19 Pat Danahy (Life University)
                                      20 Tim Usasz (Nottingham RFC)
                                      21 Nese Malifa (Glendale)
                                      22 Colin Hawley (Olympic Club)

Unavailable through injury: Chris Wyles (Saracens)

Comment

RWC 2011

Romania are sort of holding their own against Scotland. I've still never seen a rugby pitch in 7 years of living there so I remain unconvinced that the Romanian team are actually Romanians. Though having said that the neckless bald numbers 1 and 2 look almost like photofit stereotypes of the blokes you see on te beach at the Black Sea.

And as I type they get a try on halftime to go into the break 18-11 down (and the first half they were playing against a strong wind)

Comment

RWC 2011

They've just taken the lead. Fuck me.

Comment

RWC 2011

68 minutes in and Romania are beating the Scots 24-21 after a converted try. if they can hold on for 12 minutes this will most likely be the shock of the tournament.

Comment

RWC 2011

I was going to go back to bed, but I think I'll stick this out.

Comment

RWC 2011

Shame, a penalty brings it level, and I expect the Scots to pressure for the last 10.

Comment

RWC 2011

And now they've run a try from their own 22, much to the relief of Scottish fans I imagine.

Comment

RWC 2011

all gone horribly wrong

Comment

Working...
                                                    X