I love a good Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love a good Sandwich

Cheer of the day on the first tee for Darren Clarke, who would be undoubtedly the most popular winner of this in decades. The weather is indeed easing off - just - for the leaders going out now. Predictions that none of them would remain under par after today might be unfounded after all.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

In fact Clarke managed to not only remain under par for the tournament, but went under par for the round.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

I fear for Clarke in the final round, though. He wasn't able to stand up to the final-round challenge of the young americans in 1997 and 2001 when he was among the best players in the world, I'm afraid his game (especially his putting) won't be up to it today, either.

The winner of this championship may yet be someone no-one's even mentioned. Ryan Palmer, maybe.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Ah, how the pressure builds. It's lovely.

Every shot, now, every putt. The hands get a little tighter, the grip gets a little firmer (which makes you involuntarily push the shot). The heart beats a little faster, as the thoughts of glory (and inglorious failure) creep into the mind. Decision-making becomes more hurried, as do the shots themselves. The hardest shot in the world must be the relaxed chip onto a green to save par, or even the six-foot putt to do so, when suddenly par is all you need.

Which is why guys like Seve (who could do it) won major after major, and guys who couldn't, haven't.

Brilliant, this. In world sport, the most public and closest examination of why sportsmen who can perform at almost superhuman levels week-in, week-out, and especially in practice, fall apart when it's that one moment that matters . Every single one of these players, if they were playing this course, in these conditions, tomorrow, with me with £5 at stake, would go round the back nine in 32 at most. Not one will today.

Handling the pressure. It's what the final Sunday of an Open Championship is always, and truly only, about.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

God damn you BBC, for shutting down the streams I've been watching and forcing me to listen to ESPN.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

This will be truly extraordinary if Mickelson wins the Open (the one event they said he could never win) to complete three legs of the career Grand Slam, when the one still missing off his resume (the USGA Open) is the one he's now finished second in what, four or five times.

Long, long, way to go yet, though ...

long, long way for me to go to get to the pub to watch it, too, it's pissing down here. I'm waiting for it to ease off before I go over. We've all got a Thomas Bjorn celebration party lined up waiting to happen, his caddy lives in our village.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

This is brilliant. Mickleson fluffs a tap in putt and falls apart over the next few holes. Its the sport that keeps on giving.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Darren Clarke is playing well, but he's using up a career's supply of four-leaf clovers. How many more sand traps is Jesus going to let him skip out of?

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

This is going to be one of the great stories in the history of golf's majors.

Not as great as two years ago would have been had Tom Watson managed to par the 18th on the Sunday, but a great story nonetheless.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Had a lump in my throat watching that. Great story.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Great stuff.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Oh, simply fantastic. Simply, simply, fantastic.

I couldn't be happier. I can't bloody well believe it, but I'm delighted for Darren.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Outside Agent wrote:
                            This is going to be one of the great stories in the history of golf's majors.

Not as great as two years ago would have been had Tom Watson managed to par the 18th on the Sunday, but a great story nonetheless.
                            Or three years ago, when Greg Norman led after 63 holes. I think we can legitimately call this a trend, now. Is the McIlroy attitude ("I'm not going to change my game for one week a year") becoming even more common now than it used to be?

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

I spent the weekend watching the last 2 rounds. What joy to watch Miguel Angel Jimenez doing his stretches and warm-up, cigar firmly in his mouth throughout.
                              Delighted for Darren Clarke, who was a model of consistency. Impressed by Ricky Fowler. Not only by his golf but his colourful apparel.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Just about the only precedent I can think of for a player waiting until his forties to win his first major championship is Roberto de Vicenzo, the equally popular Argentinian who was a perpetual close finisher in the Open for fifteen years before finally winning one in 1967.

It's wins like yesterday's that drive home the old adage that not all great players win championships, and not all championships are won by great players, but it's the players that do win championships that make the championships, themselves, great.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

So, Rory v Darren for BBC's Sports Personality Of The Year?

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

They'll split the golfing vote, so it'll go to Paul Scholes.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Unless he's the "famous footballer" on dispatches tonight.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Que?

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Dispatches on Channel 4 tonight is apparently exposing a "famous footballer" who has offered to act as an intermediary to undercover reporters offering to buy a "famous football club".

It'll be worth watching to gauge just what "famous" means in their eyes, in both respects.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Rogin, veranda chair fan wrote:
                                            Just about the only precedent I can think of for a player waiting until his forties to win his first major championship is Roberto de Vicenzo, the equally popular Argentinian who was a perpetual close finisher in the Open for fifteen years before finally winning one in 1967.

It's wins like yesterday's that drive home the old adage that not all great players win championships, and not all championships are won by great players, but it's the players that do win championships that make the championships, themselves, great.
                                            Wasn't Mark O'Meara in his forties when he finally won a major in 1998?

And what about Vijay Singh?

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Outside Agent wrote:
                                              Wasn't Mark O'Meara in his forties when he finally won a major in 1998?
                                              Yup.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Yes, I'd forgotten about Mark O'Meara, who was indeed 41 when he finally won the Masters (and then the Open) in 1998. I'd remembered him as being a little younger than that, but you're right, he wasn't.

Singh was about 35, I think, when he won the PGA later that year.

There was a veritable glut of golfers in their 40s winning major championships in the mid-80s (Lee Trevino, Andy North, Hubert Green, Jack Nicklaus, Ray Floyd) but they had all been major champions before. Maybe Clarke's win here will inspire a similar "golden generation" - Jiminez, Mickelson, Davis Love - to show the new young guns what it's all about. Lee Westwood's 38.

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

Did Westwood stay on to cheer his stable-mate, or did he go home to Worksop to sulk?

Comment

I love a good Sandwich

What else would you do there?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X