Murdoch scum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murdoch scum

Crikey. Well, that's halfway to a best case scenario.

Comment

Murdoch scum

I suspect The Sun will become a seven day paper and fill the void left by the NOTW closure.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
        Fucking hell, absolutely incredible. Hopefully the advertisers will keep up their ban.

Desmond will be very happy as well.

Now then, The Sun.
        Yes, your Super Soaraway Sunday Sun, I suspect.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Desmond, it has to be said, is not half as smart as Murdoch usually is.

How long does it take to launch a new paper?

The Sport could have done with this happening earlier.

Comment

Murdoch scum

All proceeds of the final issue to go to charideee.

How long until we see a Sunday Sun?

Comment

Murdoch scum

Fucking hell. So this a firewall to protect the rest of NI/News Corp?
              You've got to assume so. Murdoch pere's clearly got his eye on the bigger picture. Either that, or there's some really, really explosive story that's about to break.

Comment

Murdoch scum

ursus arctos wrote:
                All proceeds of the final issue to go to charideee.

How long until we see a Sunday Sun?
                It already exists in the North East.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/

Comment

Murdoch scum

Another irony - Rusbridger's probably just done the Obs a massive favour by letting the Graun doggedly pursue this story for years and giving it such a high profile.

Comment

Murdoch scum

James Murdoch is doing the good Murdoch bit, isn't he?

Comment

Murdoch scum

This is huge news – but it strikes me that it may also be just the thing that will allow lots of people to just sweep everything under the carpet, and – to at least some extent – let Murdoch, Brooks et all off the hook, as well as facilitating the smooth rubber-stamping of the BSkyB bid.

Good riddance to the rag, obviously, but I’m not sure that this development will turn out to be a hugely positive one for those of us hoping to see this leading to the fatal weakening of NI. It may be just the tactical masterstroke that saves them.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                        Fucking hell. So this a firewall to protect the rest of NI/News Corp?
                        You've got to assume so. Murdoch pere's clearly got his eye on the bigger picture. Either that, or there's some really, really explosive story that's about to break.
                        Firebreak, surely. Which, while being welcome news, doesn't bode well.

[edit: what Hof said]

Comment

Murdoch scum

Conflicting reports on plans for a seven-day Sun already being put down, while others of staff in fear for their jobs weeping at their desks.

If the latter's the case, what a perfect shit storm: Murdoch keeps power, Brooks keeps job, BSkyB deal goes through, ordinary journalists potentially lose jobs. Ah, the sweet smell of justice.

Meanwhile, here's something what what I helped draft earlier.

Comment

Murdoch scum

That's clearly their intent.

It allows for a "restructuring" of the print operations in England while at the same time making the approval of the BSkyB takeover more likely and strengthening the "Sun brand".

It also helps create a firebreak in front of Brooks and Murdoch fils.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Sometimes, you cannot help... OK, not admire, but be awestruck by the man's ruthlessnesss.

Comment

Murdoch scum

You reckon this is a good chance to make some people on higher wages redundant? That's assuming they're intending to keep enough on to do the new Sunday paper.

Comment

Murdoch scum

I know newsrooms tend to have a fierce independence from each other and all that, but what the Snu (ding?) being the sister paper of the NotW, how likely is that some shit could be flung at it for essentially printing the same information, from the same sources, as the NotW?

Obviously, plenty of stories break on a Sunday then the Sun keeps up the momentum - surely they're fed stuff by the NotW, they don't have to go out and research everything afresh?

Comment

Murdoch scum

robw wrote:
                                    Apparently James Murdoch has said that this Sunday's NOTW will be the last. Extraordinary if true.
                                    This is how I found out...

I know this means all sorts of shit, but I'm jumping around the fucking room right now..

Where were you.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Prescott on now saying what E10 said. He's furious.

He's really been good lately, hasn't he?

I think Brooks will have to go to get away with it.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Tubbs, 'integration' operations tend to mean fewer jobs. I have recent experience of this closer to home. This speeds up an integration process already planned. There may be job losses, and not of people on particularly good wages. Still, I'm sure the News International Staff Association will fight tooth and nail to keep jobs...

This isn't a victory. It's a smart tactical manouevre by our opponents, and the Left will be guilty of gross stupidity and naivety if it cheers this development.

Comment

Murdoch scum

John Prescott is spitting fire on BBC News 24 about the screws closing down, because it's a publicity stunt, ordinary people who aren't at fault will lose their jobs, and those that were at fault such as Rebekah Brooks will keep theirs, and is designed to "deflect attention from the criminal acts by the Murdoch press"

Comment

Murdoch scum

Astonishing news (even if I did predict it yesterday!)

Comment

Murdoch scum

From James Murdoch's announcement (pdf):
                                              Wrongdoers turned a good newsroom bad and this was not fully understood or adequately pursued.
                                              As a result, the News of the World and News International wrongly maintained that these issues were confined to one reporter. We now have voluntarily given evidence to the police that I believe will prove that this was untrue and those who acted wrongly will have to face the consequences
                                              So who's getting hung out to dry? And what does this mean for the repeated claim that NI had already given all the evidence it had to the police in the original inquiry?

Comment

Murdoch scum

E10 Rifle wrote:
                                                This isn't a victory. It's a smart tactical manouevre by our opponents, and the Left will be guilty of gross stupidity and naivety if it cheers this development.
                                                Quite.

Comment

Murdoch scum

That's an important question, as the fact that it is Murdoch rather than Brooks making all of the public statements could be telling.

Prescott needs to be just as hard on the Met and the other police forces.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Ken Clarke has said "all they're going to do is rebrand it".

How easy (and costly) is "integrating" a Sunday and a Daily? No doubt it saves money in the long run, or else they wouldn't do it, but it's not easy, even without the problems here.

Nobody on BBC has been less than unimpressed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X