Murdoch scum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murdoch scum

Cameron was appalling. Question about the DWP outsourcing answered with something about "getting people off benefits and to work".

He doesn't do irony.

Comment

Murdoch scum

I'm amazed that the Simon Greenberg running the NI PR campaign is the same cuddly chap who made Chelsea FC the nation's favourite team in his time there. You''ll be telling me he was a tosser of a Standard sports editor and the useless spin doctor of the England 2018 bid who tried to gag the BBC next.

Comment

Murdoch scum

According to the FT (at midnight) some of the most successful hedge funds backing the BSkyB deal going through by the end of the week.

Comment

Murdoch scum

How do they reckon they are doing that exactly? I am not a merger arb pro, but that involves more thought than I can care to muster right now.

Comment

Murdoch scum

It's one of the main FT stories, easy to find, and free to view.

I'll invoke my right to silence in case I say something that makes you laugh at me.

Comment

Murdoch scum

dglh, presumably one would go long on the shares, but I'm not seeing that piece on the FT website.

I do, however, see Lex being unpleasant about a certain bank with which you are familiar.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Some email contacts to companies not ruling out advertising on Sunday:

http://notwadboycott.posterous.com/

Please bring home to them how conspicuous they'll be if they do advertise.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                  It's one of the main FT stories, easy to find, and free to view.

I'll invoke my right to silence in case I say something that makes you laugh at me.
                  Really, you ought not worry. I was only going to reflect on how the FT got there - I just was happy for a medium of delivery on that point as it seemed interesting.

Ursus - I consider going long the shares only being that you are confident that the timeline is less than the carry on the trade at "implied" time of completion. Given it fell 3% today, the carry is way beyond the week if you are betting on the deal completing (in fact, before today you have a good arb on the same deadline as the carry ought to be well priced in, unless the perceived risk changed - which I don't think it materially has.) Not that this is a new idea.

Anyway, I was really interested to see how they got to what they suggested. I had a quick look, but I only still get 20 articles a month unless I subscribe, and I am not going to subscribe until they send me a deal at a better price (sadly).

Comment

Murdoch scum

I have to say I'd be pretty surprised if the takeover didn't go ahead at this point. I can only see it being stopped if Ofcom puts its foot down, and it didn't have any problem with Desmond taking over Five.

Comment

Murdoch scum

I was surprised by the radio coverage on Radio 4 & 5 Live this morning. Apart from an excellent spearing of Cameron by Peter Oborne, it was almost half hearted and didn’t devote anything like the time that this squalid episode continues to merit.

There is no reason why this story should run out of steam, particularly as that is precisely what this crony government and News International want to happen.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Re Ursus's points about the technical problems of making the 'fit and proper' charge stick, isn't Murdoch's stalwart defence of Brooks muddying things somewhat. It doesn't mean much in terms of strict liability or legally, but this is the main man of the entire company offering his full support for, and trust in, the woman right at the centre of the shitstorm.

This level of poor judgement, morally at least, affects 'fit and proper'-ness.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Tom Watson has alleged that James Murdoch personally authorised the paying of hush money. James Murdoch is a director of the group.

Comment

Murdoch scum

It's not an allegation really. James Murdoch definitely did authorise the payment to phone hacking victims as an alternative to court proceedings. I guess the only way you could query is if it could be described as 'hush money', but it's difficult to quibble with.

Comment

Murdoch scum

The Royal British Legion has just announced it no longer wants to be associated with the NOTW following their hacking of the phones of dead soldiers famimlies. Whilst they provide no advertising funds for the NOTW, they are a very influential group at all levels of society.

Comment

Murdoch scum

E10 Rifle wrote:
                                Re Ursus's points about the technical problems of making the 'fit and proper' charge stick, isn't Murdoch's stalwart defence of Brooks muddying things somewhat. It doesn't mean much in terms of strict liability or legally, but this is the main man of the entire company offering his full support for, and trust in, the woman right at the centre of the shitstorm.

On the BBC news last night they said that Brooks was untouchable in the NI empire, as far as Murdoch was concerned she was family, like in a low rate Cockney gangster flick. Lets hope this stubbornness sees Murdoch fall with her should she be proven to have known about the hacking as well as their current patsy Coulson.

Comment

Murdoch scum

All these companies that are announcing that they are pulling their advertising from the NOTW: have they said for how long they'll do so, or committed themselves to reinstating advertising under specific conditions?

Comment

Murdoch scum

The only regulator I'm aware that takes "fit and proper" tests remotely seriously is the post-crisis FSA. Look at who the FA has allowed to run football clubs, or more relevantly, who Ofcom has allowed to run Channel 5. Anything short of criminal convictions of News Corp executives won't trip it, in my opinion.

Comment

Murdoch scum

G.Man wrote:
                                      All these companies that are announcing that they are pulling their advertising from the NOTW: have they said for how long they'll do so, or committed themselves to reinstating advertising under specific conditions?
                                      Most aren't saying much, but Mitsubishi not only pulled their advertising, but have given them a verbal kicking and said they're giving the unspent money to Childline.

Comment

Murdoch scum

I'm amazed that the Simon Greenberg running the NI PR campaign is the same cuddly chap who made Chelsea FC the nation's favourite team in his time there. You''ll be telling me he was a tosser of a Standard sports editor and the useless spin doctor of the England 2018 bid who tried to gag the BBC next.
                                        Yes, his elevation has made us more aware of what an obnoxious little shit he is.

One happy by-product of all this is that Kelvin McfuckingKenzie was all over the TV and radio over the last couple of weeks and he seems to have disappeared presently

Comment

Murdoch scum

Some email contacts to companies not ruling out advertising on Sunday:

notwadboycott.posterous.com/
                                          I just linked that on Facebook - indeed, I expect people are getting bored with my links to this - and instantly had one of the advertisers appear on my Facebook sidebar which seems somewhat against the point

I also had to think about what a "notwad" was and why we were boycotting it

Comment

Murdoch scum

The Royal British Legion has just announced it no longer wants to be associated with the NOTW following their hacking of the phones of dead soldiers famimlies. Whilst they provide no advertising funds for the NOTW, they are a very influential group at all levels of society.
                                            I would be more impressed by them if they gave the BNP donation money back that they received a couple of years ago

Comment

Murdoch scum

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                              On the BBC news last night they said that Brooks was untouchable in the NI empire, as far as Murdoch was concerned she was family, like in a low rate Cockney gangster flick. Lets hope this stubbornness sees Murdoch fall with her should she be proven to have known about the hacking as well as their current patsy Coulson.
                                              From Wednesday's FT: "She [Brooks] has never denied a story told by her then editor Piers Morgan at the News of the World that she once dressed as a cleaner to infiltrate the offices of the Sunday Times in the same Wapping building, hid for two hours in a lavatory before emerging to take one of the first copies off the press so that the News of the World, supposedly a sister paper, could copy an exclusive."

What a woman.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Hey, hey, PR Pete has found an angle. I would quite like to see the emails if they were from his time at Cardiff

Comment

Murdoch scum

Another unfortunate aspect with this business is that it hasn't happened closer to a general election. Because what I'd like to see even more than people like Brooks getting their comeuppance, is an election campaign where the party leaders unequivocally tell Murdoch where to stuff his support.

Comment

Murdoch scum

"It Wuz The Sun That Lost It"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X