Murdoch scum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murdoch scum

Sure but this is a bit different to spying on Andy Gray.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Of other papers, The Telegraph might get stuck in. The Mail's star columnist, never short of an opinion, might reprise this nugget (uttered after months of writing about the "bin police" instead):

The paying public don’t share the collective Fleet Street/Westminster/Scotland Yard fascination with phone hacking. They must conclude that this particular three-ring circus has gone stark, staring mad.
      He was working at News International at the time of the new revelations. Deafening silence on the way.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Jesus Christ.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Other new outlets maybe waiting to see the same evidence as The Guardian.

What with journalism suffering through various accusations leveled at them lately. I would hope all the News outlets would have their best out there right now working on this one, it only broke this afternoon after all.

It could be one of the biggest scandals in news reporting for generations.. It was bad enough before this, but Milly Dowler?

Comment

Murdoch scum

From the Guardian link:
            But the journalists at the News of the World then encountered a problem. Milly's voicemail box filled up and would accept no more messages. Apparently thirsty for more information from more voicemails, the News of the World intervened – and deleted the messages that had been left in the first few days after her disappearance. According to one source, this had a devastating effect: when her friends and family called again and discovered that her voicemail had been cleared, they concluded that this must have been done by Milly herself and, therefore, that she must still be alive. But she was not. The interference created false hope and extra agony for those who were misled by it.

The Dowler family then granted an exclusive interview to the News of the World in which they talked about their hope, quite unaware that it had been falsely kindled by the newspaper's own intervention. Sally Dowler told the paper: "If Milly walked through the door, I don't think we'd be able to speak. We'd just weep tears of joy and give her a great big hug."

The deletion of the messages also caused difficulties for the police by confusing the picture when they had few leads to pursue.It also potentially destroyed valuable evidence.
            This is probably the most revolting part of this sordid story. Not satisfied with hacking into the phone, the NOTW then decided to delete some of the early messages so as to release more space in the voicemail box for more messages, leading the family and police to think that it might be Milly herself deleting them.

Also, at the time, Surrey police were aware that the family's and their own phones might also be being hacked. You think they might have followed this up, but it appeared not,

However, they took no action against the News of the World, partly because their main focus was to find the missing schoolgirl and partly because this was only one example of tabloid misbehaviour. As one source close to the inquiry put it: "There was a hell of a lot of dirty stuff going on." Two earlier Yard inquiries had failed to investigate the relevant notes in Mulcaire's logs.
            Basically, because the cunty behaviour was being done by such renowned cunts, it had not had the same impact, and the police chose to ignore it, despite the illegality of it and it's potential interference with the ongoing search.
            Surrey police have ended up looking incompetent. The News Of The World has made the whole Murdoch empire seem utterly repellent.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Sean of the Shed wrote:
              Surrey police have ended up looking incompetent.
              Corrupt. Surrey police have ended up looking corrupt.

Comment

Murdoch scum

It may not be the worst thing about this case but what sickens me most this minute is the conspiracy of muteness on the part of the popular press and all the main party leaders. It's a shame Edwin Starr isn't around because he could write a mighty fine song about Ed Miliband.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Leaving aside the utter cuntishness of the NOTW, which I think we can all take for granted, however horrific these revelations are, this demonstrates quite how pathetic the original police investigation of the hacking was. If we take the Grauniad's story at face value, the NOTW told the Surrey police they were hacking phones systematically, and yet the Met didn't have enough evidence to prosecute anyone beyond Mulcaire.
                  The newspaper also made no effort to conceal its activity from Surrey police. After it had hacked the message from the recruitment agency on Milly's phone, the paper informed police about it. It was Surrey detectives who established that the call was not intended for Milly Dowler. At the time, Surrey police suspected that phones belonging to detectives and to Milly's parents also were being targeted.

One of those who was involved in the original inquiry said: "We'd arrange landline calls. We didn't trust our mobiles."

However, they took no action against the News of the World, partly because their main focus was to find the missing schoolgirl and partly because this was only one example of tabloid misbehaviour. As one source close to the inquiry put it: "There was a hell of a lot of dirty stuff going on." Two earlier Yard inquiries had failed to investigate the relevant notes in Mulcaire's logs.
                  ]

Comment

Murdoch scum

I don't think the hag Brooks is going to survive this one.
                    Slightly unfortunate choice if words in the context, but yeah. She's not very lovely at all. It's not really surprising that after being married to her, Ross Kemp felt no fear about facing some of the most violent people in the world.

What shocks me most in the story is that the police knew what the NOTW was doing, AND DID NOTHING! The hacks (a word never more fitting) destroyed potential evidence, possibly hacked into police's cellphones and generally broke the law, and the entire law enforcement establishment of Great Britain was too busy to do anything about it? Really?

Anyway, this is a good time to revisit Heinrich Böll's The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, a novel about the intruision into people's privacy by Germany's Bild, a newspaper whose ethics reflect those of the News of the World.

Also worth reading, if it is available in English, is Günter Wallraff's undercover exposé of Bild, whose staff he joined in 1977 with the purpose of uncovering their dirty tricks. If nothing else, it shows that the NOTW's set of ethics is nothing new.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Check out # notw and rebekah hashtags on twitter - peston claims brooks won't resign - I think this could badly wound Cameron and Murdoch -greenslade and Prescott making the bsb link.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Boycott the New of The World facebook page. Spread the word and we'll try and do to the NoTW what the people of Liverpool did to the Sun over Hillsborough.

Facebook campaign to boycoot the NoTW

Comment

Murdoch scum

Corrupt. Surrey police have ended up looking corrupt.
                          Very important point there from Wyatt, and it applies to the Met as well.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Every single person on this thread needs to badger Jeremy Cunt to stop the BSkyB takeover.

If you really care about this, do this. Now.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Done. I'll put it up on FB and Twitter too.

Comment

Murdoch scum

The police's part in this is going to be the timebomb in this after then initial outrage about the NOTW. Hopefully, a positive side effect of this is the political parties may finally stop chasing Newscorps endorsement.

For all you twitterers, this is a one click stop for lobbying the NOTW advertisers

Comment

Murdoch scum

I have heard of more similar news to come on this which, to me, can only mean two things - the Mccanns or the families of the Soham girls. Should it be either of those two, NOTW will truly be hoist by its own petard.

As an aside, my mind went blank as to the name of the McCann's daughter but not their surname. There is something appalling in that

Comment

Murdoch scum

Think that must be unusual to you, BoE, I can't separate in my mind the words "McCann" from "Madeleine".

I've signed the Avaaz petition.

Comment

Murdoch scum

On the front pages today, only the broadsheet papers, the Independent, the Guardian and the Telegraph, are making this headline news. Even the Times, surprisingly, has given it a column on the front page, maybe to distance itself from it's deviant cousin.
                                      As for the tabs and the Mail and Express, the are conspicuous by the absence of this story on the front page. Maybe it's a bit oc camaradery among the shitty end of the national press, but more likely they are all viewing this from inside their glass houses and reluctant to cast the first brick in the direction of Wapping, grateful for the fact that it was the NOTW that has got it's fingers burned and not them instead.

Comment

Murdoch scum

The police's part in this is going to be the timebomb in this after then initial outrage about the NOTW. Hopefully, a positive side effect of this is the political parties may finally stop chasing Newscorps endorsement.

On the former, I suspect it may end up with a shuffling of deckchairs, a booting out of the guilty parties (or scapegoats, alternatively) with a mumbled 'sorry' and 'lessons learned' ('sorry' always heals wounds, brushes stuff under carpets and wipes the slate clean). The police's ability to be a power unto themselves will - if it all the stream of unpleasant detail turns into an unavoidable torrent - most probably assert itself and they will protect themselves accordingly, leaving a few miscreants to carry the can when the entire mechanism that allows such cuntery to manifest itself will most likely remain in place.

On the hope that political parties will refuse the Murdoch shilling, well, Bored, I'm not sure. Private Eye regularly comes up with stories of governmental politicians going all over the world to cement 'business opportunities' with some of the most corrupt bastards around, never mind here, so even if the parties edge away from News International's influence, they'll go where the money and power is, no matter who wields both.

Signed that petition to Jeremy Hunt (thank you, the glory that is rhyming slang).

Having read that Guardian piece, it's hard to believe that the cunts who should be given their prison outfits and be shown their cells like right fucking now are probably filing copy on what Cheryl Cole's having for dinner tonight.

It's completely and unpleasantly inexplicable.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Bored of Education wrote:
                                          For all you twitterers, this is a one click stop for lobbying the NOTW advertisers
                                          Just done that. In most cases you could threaten to go to their main rivals, apart from Virgin Media. Shifting to Sky TV doesn't really convey the message you want to send.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Think that must be unusual to you, BoE, I can't separate in my mind the words "McCann" from "Madeleine".
                                            I am sure it could be a sign of my oncoming senility or my brain still on holiday but, still, it happened. Indeed, I thought her name was Kate originally and had to google Madelaine.

On the former, I suspect it may end up with a shuffling of deckchairs, a booting out of the guilty parties (or scapegoats, alternatively) with a mumbled 'sorry' and 'lessons learned' ('sorry' always heals wounds, brushes stuff under carpets and wipes the slate clean). The police's ability to be a power unto themselves will - if it all the stream of unpleasant detail turns into an unavoidable torrent - most probably assert itself and they will protect themselves accordingly, leaving a few miscreants to carry the can when the entire mechanism that allows such cuntery to manifest itself will most likely remain in place.
                                            You are probably right, unfortunately. I have a mate who used to be in the Surrey police (well before this) and is fairly frank with me. It will be interesting to see what his take on it is. The Met would just ignore the whole thing.

On the hope that political parties will refuse the Murdoch shilling, well, Bored, I'm not sure. Private Eye regularly comes up with stories of governmental politicians going all over the world to cement 'business opportunities' with some of the most corrupt bastards around, never mind here, so even if the parties edge away from News International's influence, they'll go where the money and power is, no matter who wields both.
                                            True. It was a faint hope. It would be lovely to see Milliband save himself from his recent Unions sell-out and really lay into the NOTW and Newscorp. I can dream

Comment

Murdoch scum

Not on the Sun's [website] at all.
                                              There's a surprise.

Can only add my disbelief and fury to that already expressed on this thread...

Comment

Murdoch scum

MP's backed down from Rebekah Brooks to the commons for questioning as they were told that News International would "go for us" if they did

Report in the Guardian

A cross-party committee of MPs abandoned plans to force the News International chief executive, Rebekah Brooks, to testify last year after they were warned that their private lives would be investigated, a former member alleged last night.

Adam Price, a former Plaid Cymru MP, told Channel 4 News that a group of committee members shied away from the "nuclear option" of issuing a warrant for Brooks to attend after a senior Tory warned that News International would "go for us".

Adrian Sanders, a Liberal Democrat member of the committee, said that the Tory chairman of the committee, John Whittingdale, had issued the warning. "The chairman himself had made some sort of allusion towards what could happen were we to go down this route. But there was no surprise in that because it was sort of, 'Well, yeh, we knew that from that beginning'."
                                                This is terrifying stuff. New International have had MP's living in fear if they start to investigate them. Words fail me......

Comment

Murdoch scum

The story is on The Sun's website. It's just buried away so you wouldn't see it unless it you were actively looking for it.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Thanks for the various Facebook/Twitter protest links.

The police defence will be that they were pursuing a murder case, I don't think it is any coincidence that this explosive news came a week or so after the end of the Levi Bellfield trial.

Not excusing any police corruption, I think most people believe there was some.

A major inquiry is needed after all these criminal allegations are taken to the ultimate conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X