Top 3 in the world: all British or Irish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That'll be the case in golf tomorrow, as Rory McIlroy moves up to third in the rankings behind Donald and Westwood.

Certainly the first time that's ever happened in golf since the days when only Britain and Ireland played the sport, and I'd think the first time in pretty much any major international sport or event (which frankly excludes darts, bowls or snooker) that I can think of. Possibly Coe, Ovett and Cram as the top 3 mile runners in the mid-80s, but even then there was Aouita, wasn't there? Did we ever have the top 3 F1 drivers at the same time? Maybe squash, haven't we been quite good at that recently?

Darts?

Comment

Rogin en la butaca wrote:
      Maybe squash, haven't we been quite good at that recently?
      Not to the point of having the top three in the World. Although the current Men's World no.1 is British (English in this case) - Nick Matthew.

Maybe Britain has achieved similar dominance in some discipline of track cycling?

Comment

We had 1-2-3 in both the 1964 and 1965 F1 championships. We've got the top 4 in darts at the moment, although this is quite a recent phenonenom since van Barneveld lost form.

Comment

How do the Irish posters feel about this particular usage of this particular pronoun?

Comment

I'd have just said 'top three in World British'.

Comment

Doesn't he play it safe with "Northern Irish"?

Comment

That too- though I wouldn't call it playing it safe.

He probably reflects his background. He grew up and went to school in one of the most unionist towns in NI. Although golf is organised all-Ireland so he has plenty of Southern links, fans etc. which is fair enough.

The English media have been more restrained in claiming him than with say, Murray- presumably because they already have the top two ranked players Worldwide, whereas in tennis the leading guy is only just inside the 200.

Comment

Working...
                X