Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nadal vs Djokovic - match of the season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mannarino was terrible against Ward, it was only close because the Arsenal fan choked in the second. Has to be winnable.

Comment

There are 40 different nations represented among the 128 players in the men's singles draw, which must be some sort of record.

There might have been even more but for the 3 wildcards the LTA have given to British men.

Comment

Unlikely as the number of wild cards is fixed. The ones that don't go to Brits tend to go to players coming towards the ends of their careers.

Comment

That said, two of the other four wild cards went to Dudi Sela and Giles Muller, the only Israeli and Luxembourgeois in the draw respectively. Arnaud Clement and Alejandro Falla got the other two invitational spots, but there were other Frenchmen and Colombians.

Comment

I've lost touch with professional tennis. Which of the players strike the ball the most quietly? Because the're the ones I'd like to win.

Comment

I remember Monica Seles coming in for some hysterical criticism over her 'screech' back when she was top seed in 1992. I recall the BBC entertaining actual debates over it's legitimacy, and most talking heads were declaring it as being an act of misconduct. It definitely seeped into the crowds mind, as by the final, all of centre court appeared to be cheering for Graf over Seles.

Comment

Sadly Niland just threw away a golden opportunity - it was one set all, then Niland got a slight edge in the third set tie-breaker before the Frenchman prevailed, before Niland won the fourth set to level it up again. The Limerickman then broke Mannarino twice to lead 4-1 in the final set, before promptly losing the final five games.

Comment

I bet almost every Fleet Street paper had a "limerick" lined up had he got through to face Federer on centre court, too. They will now presumably be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Comment

Diable Rouge wrote:
                    Conor Niland could become the first Irish player at Wimbledon in aeons
                    Since 2007 actually. Claire Curran reached the second round of the mixed doubles, and with Keothavong lost in the first of the women's to the Williams sisters. She also played in the Fed Cup that year (partnering Baltacha) and had a career high doubles ranking of #89.

Rogin en la butaca wrote:
                    I bet almost every Fleet Street paper had a "limerick" lined up had he got through to face Federer on centre court, too. They will now presumably be consigned to the dustbin of history
                    An anonymous Culchie called Conor
                    Arrived to defend Ireland's honor
                    Against some French guy he led
                    And dreamt of playing R-Fed
                    But if it goes to a fifth, he's a goner

Comment

Robin Soderling won his match yesterday in relative silence. Perhaps I'll root for him. But he doesn't look like much of a grass-court player.

Comment

Is this the all-purpose Wimbledon thread, then?

If so, I have to say that the first set between Kimiko Date-Krumm (40 years old, quit tennis altogether for 12 years) and Venus Williams (herself, what, 30ish and back after 5 months injury) just now was one of the most extraordinary bits of tennis I've ever watched. Date-Krumm won it after a tie-break. Catch it on repeat later if you can. It had everything.

They're into the second set now, and I almost don't care how it pans out, because it can surely only be an anticlimax.

Comment

Fascinating contrast in styles here. Venus hitting the ball harder but prone to fuck-ups. Kimiko physically weaker but mentally tougher.

Comment

Final set's going to 'extra time' as it were. Gripping stuff. If you're near a telly, switch it on.

Comment

Grantland is having Brian Phillips write about every Federer match. His intro piece yesterday is really fucking great.

Comment

Wow, Venus through 8-6 in the third. Not many early-round women's matches are so close.

Comment

It was a compelling game, Date has always been resilient and she showed that today. Her occasional moments of left-handedness surprised a few online pundits, who I can only presume were unaware of the fact that Date was originally left-handed but was forced to switch to her right for the sake of conformity in her native Japan. God knows what she could have achieved had she stayed a leftie.

Both Williams sisters have been pushed in the first week, a sign perhaps that there are more and more players capable of dealing with their power and pace. The fact that neither are taking part in the doubles may yet prove counter-productive as their lack of fitness could be compensated by being a bit more au-fait with the conditions on court.

Laura Robson has just won a difficult match to earn herself a tie against Maria Sharapova. Robson's poor shot selection and reluctance to mix her game is unlikely to threaten an upset, although there aren't too many who hit the ball as sweetly as she does.

Comment

Is it time that women's matches were extended to five sets: there's no doubt that the players are as fit and physically capable as the men, so it does appear sexist to suggest that the Williamses, Zvonareva etc wouldn't be capable of such a format?

Comment

They'd probably have to extend Grand Slams out to three weeks to accommodate the extra length of all those matches. As it is they struggle most years at Wimbledon to squeeze them all in on schedule with the men playing 5-set games and the women playing 3.

Both Williams sisters have been pushed in the first week, a sign perhaps that there are more and more players capable of dealing with their power and pace.
                                      Well, one of them's into her thirties now and the other one was almost on her deathbed six months ago, that could also be a factor.

Comment

A lot more points are won on service in the men's game, so the total length of sets tends to be shorter than in the women's where there are more service returns and rallies. If the women's game was to increase to 5 sets, the games would be longer than the men's. Matches which went to five sets would invariably be won by the player with superior stamina rather than ability.

Comment

I heard Tracey Austin on the radio this evening doing a spot of punditry. I never want to hear her voice again. She talks in the exact same voice that Duffy sings with.

Comment

Ooh, yes, women who sound like Tracy Austin is one of the reasons I'm grateful I live over here.

Comment

Rogin en la butaca wrote:
                                              They'd probably have to extend Grand Slams out to three weeks to accommodate the extra length of all those matches. As it is they struggle most years at Wimbledon to squeeze them all in on schedule with the men playing 5-set games and the women playing 3.

Both Williams sisters have been pushed in the first week, a sign perhaps that there are more and more players capable of dealing with their power and pace.
                                              Well, one of them's into her thirties now and the other one was almost on her deathbed six months ago, that could also be a factor.
                                              Age has not been so much of a factor in the women's game, not even recently as Clijsters and indeed Date have proved. And there is a difference between being on your deathbed and recognising a life-threatening condition and dealing with it in time, as was the case with Serena.

Soderling is all over the shop against former champion Hewitt who could provide the first real upset this year. Thought I saw Pat Rafter in the box; what a player he was.

Comment

Men's doubles seems to have been reduced to three sets

Comment

Too much rain. They've done this before.
                                                  The final (and maybe the semis?) will still be five sets.

First real shock (in the Men's) was Bolelli beating Wawrinka, no? Lisicki beating Li in the Women's is the biggest story so far, though.

Comment

Who's your money on, Janik?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X