Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nadal vs Djokovic - match of the season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not entirely sure Pippa Middleton's a "non-entity". She's the sister of the future Queen of England. That's not a bad "claim to fame".

Comment

Famous for being someone's sister.

Tony C, you're correct of course, he seems like a decent enough chap and it's hardly his fault.

Comment

Away GoalslaoG yawA wrote:
        Sounds like a horrible condition. I wanted Djokovic to win before, but I hope he does even more now. He's certainly putting on an entertaining game here with Tsonga. Hopefully your pupil is watching and enjoying, Kettle.
        The pupil's been given tickets to Djokovic's quarter and semi finals, and will be going tomorrow - on Djokovic, of course. Djokovic has been nothing short of amazing.

Comment

Arturo wrote:
          I'd like Djokovic to win but I think Rafa will just do enough.
          Likewise, I think Nadal will edge it. Though the four straight wins that Djokovic has against Rafa, both on hard and on clay, ought to count for something in terms of his confidence.

Following todays performance from Kvitova, if she can stay fit I reckon she can win this a few more times. She outplayed Sharapova despite one of Kvitova's major weapons, her serve, not going as well as it can. If she can get another couple of slams soon, then hopefully she can play a final without as many nerves and really unleash.
          It would be good if Serena gets back to full fitness and in practice, and faces Kvitova in next years final. Interesting to see if Serena's best could cope with Kvitova's best, because some of the stuff that Kvitova produced this championship looked unstoppable.

Comment

I want Djokovic to win to justify the number one ranking he'll inherit tomorrow. He's earnt the latter from his amazing run of Masters Series wins in the spring, but it will seem a hollow achievement (indeed, a baffling one to most casual observers) if he becomes world number one by losing a Grand Slam final to the very person he's replacing.

Comment

Point of the Championship, right there (where Djokovic raced in and got to Nadal's attempted cross-court drop shot).

1-0, 3-0, Djok at the moment. Long way to go yet though.

Comment

The future is eastern European. Djokovic looking unstoppable at the moment.

Comment

Djokovic is making nadal run around like he was Krusty's chimp on skates Mr Teeny.

Comment

The future is eastern European. Djokovic looking unstoppable at the moment.

My polish flatmate's SLAV POWER! schtick after the tennis yesterday and Klitschko is getting grating. He's talking about warm water ports.

Comment

Rafa--it's great that you're pumping yourself up now that you've taken a few games, but act like you've been here before.

Comment

That was an awesome third set from Nadal, but could go either way

Comment

I've got it into my head that every time Djokovic returns the ball he yells "Wanker!" and now I can't shift it.

Comment

Shame about the result, but enjoyed the match.

Comment

Indeed. There isn't really a Big Four in men's tennis at the moment so much as a big two. The gap between them and the rest looks pretty immense.

Comment

Rogin en la butaca wrote:
                                I'm not entirely sure Pippa Middleton's a "non-entity". She's the sister of the future Queen of England. That's not a bad "claim to fame"
                                Her boyfriend was referred by one commentator as the future queen's sister's current squeeze. As opposed to the ex-international cricketer.

Andy should change his name to Noslam Jockovic.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                                  Indeed. There isn't really a Big Four in men's tennis at the moment so much as a big two. The gap between them and the rest looks pretty immense.
                                  Federer and Murray are still clearly at the top of the chasing pack, though. They make the semis fairly regularly and have been in one final each this year.

Comment

Duncanna Jayawardner wrote:
                                    Rogin en la butaca wrote:
                                    I'm not entirely sure Pippa Middleton's a "non-entity". She's the sister of the future Queen of England. That's not a bad "claim to fame"
                                    Her boyfriend was referred by one commentator as the future queen's sister's current squeeze. As opposed to the ex-international cricketer.

Andy should change his name to Noslam Jockovic.
                                    But most of us would not have remembered Loudon's one cap without the royal association.

Comment

I'm not sure that men's tennis has ever before seen an era where you have three such players, Nadal, Federer and Djokovic, two of whom have won career Grand Slams and one who looks like he ought to be able to soon join them in that respect, all playing at the same time. It truly is a golden age and just bad timing for Murray, I guess, that he's been up against them. If he'd been around in that period ten to eight years ago when Ferrero, Gaudio, Hewitt, Ivanisevic, the young Roddick and the younger Federer were dealing out the Grand Slams between themselves, I think he'd certainly have won one somewhere in the mix.

Comment

Made up for Novak Djokovic. However, the thing he promised - to allow my pupil to lift the trophy for him if he wins - didn't materialise.

But I reckon that could be down to a number of things. Djokovic might have forgotten (one can only imagine the emotion going through at the moment of winning such a prestigious competition). Maybe my pupil was asleep (he slept through 3/4 of the quarter final, especially the moment when Djokovic tried waving to him). Maybe the ground staff were reluctant to let the lad's wheelchair onto the grass (probably not this one). Maybe it's not Wimbledon tradition to allow anyone other than the champion to lift the trophy. Maybe my lad was too weak, too ill, too nervous.

Never mind. He was an exemplary human being for the lad throughout the week, and is a great and deserving champion.

Comment

The top 3 are lifting each other to higher standards than the game has ever seen before. Murray is actually improving each year but not closing the gap. That's why the gap seems to have widened between 3, 4 and 5.

Comment

Years in the Open era that Wimbledon had new champions in both men's and women's singles:

1974: Connors, Evert

1988: Edberg, Graf

2002: Hewitt, Serena

2011: Djokovic, Kvitova

Comment

Pah. The 14 year interval cycle broken.

Comment

Great final and a highly enjoyable Wimbledon this year. I was amazed that Djokovic was considered such an outsider going into the final as it is clear that he has been able to deal with anything Nadal has thrown at him all year.

But it's not a changing of the guard by any means; for once the Men's tournament produced some close contests that could have gone either way for both finalists. What intrigued me was that Sue Barker said that Djok managed to win without dropping more than 2 sets in one match; time was that champions-elect barely dropped a set throughout the whole tournament.

And yet I don't recall seeing such a consistently high standard of tennis across the board, especially from the last 16 onwards. I hope that Tsonga and Del Potro manage to break into the Top 8 for the Masters finals later this year. That should make for one hell of a competition on paper, one I might even pay good money to see.

Comment

Escape from Alcaraz wrote:
                                                  What intrigued me was that Sue Barker said that Djok managed to win without dropping more than 2 sets in one match;
                                                  Why? You don't usually win much if you drop more than 2 sets in one match...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X