Tyson for (another) Hall Of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't realise there were as many Halls of Fame as belts but it does give one time to consider Tyson.

When he came out, an astonishing figher. Even those of us who enjoy boxing as a pure sport based on tactics etc had to be captivated by his being a pure fighter. Not the greatest advert for boxing, of course, especially as he went down hill. Indeed, even his 'rehabilitation' has been pretty terrible.

I am not sure whether he is a victim of boxing or whether he would have been even worse if he hadn't been involved in boxing but, just for his early years, one of the most amazing fighters I have ever seen. Not exactly pretty to watch but effective and he has to be respected for that, at least, in the same way as, perhaps, George Graham's Arsenal

Oh no, that's a terrible analogy. Tyson was all about pure, unadulterated, attack, and for several years in the 1980s no-one could stop him. He was more like Dalglish's Liverpool.

It was when fighters decided to stop trying to match him punch for punch and defend and outjab him, that he lost his aura. Buster Douglas was his Wimbledon, and Graham's Arsenal more the Evander Holyfield of the piece.

Comment

Yes, Rogin, I like that. There was something wrong with the analogy but I went with the Arsenal one anyway. I should have had patience and come up with something else especially as it was an opening post and I had all the time in the world.

I almost went for Bolton.

Comment

Tyson was a good defensive boxer when he started out - lots of head movement. Had he stayed that way, he could have been a much greater champion.

Comment

Yeah, the Buster Douglas fight was great, but there was one crucial thing to note about that fight that has (strangely) burnt itself into my memory: before the start of that fight they tried to award him with some 'award'-style belt from some 'dolly bird' (i.e. not an official belt) and you could see from his body language that (a) he didn't want to receive it at all, and (b) it really distracted him from his inner mental preparations.

I think he was fundamentally a loose cannon - though one with a massive neck - who could take punches and give them out when on his terms, but as soon as you distracted him he was doomed.

Comment

I don't watch a lot of boxing now but watched as much as I could during the time Tyson was rising toward the championship and won various belts. Although he clearly had this image of a street fighter (coming into the ring without a robe, coming right at his opponent), it's important to remember that he fought some good, smart fighters and none of them could touch him. Part of that was probably his quick, vicious attack, but some of that was his ability to know how to move. As satchmo76, his head movement was good but I also think he was very smart about his positioning in the ring. Think about it, Larry Holmes was well passed his prime when he fought Tyson but Holmes was a very smart fighter and Tyson just controlled that fight. Michael Spinks was clearly overrated, never really returning to the ring after Tyson demolished him, but Spinks didn't get to where he was by beating club fighters. During Tyson's prime he has to be considered one of the best boxers of all time. The problem is that he became a spectacle and his fall post-Douglas defeat was so fast and seemingly prolonged given all the shenanigans that has surrounded him after he was released from prison.

Comment

Working...
            X