Most shocking things you've ever seen in sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is definitely up there. I'm still a bit sick to my stomach watching it. Guy from very near my hometown and it would have been a fantastic story in the American press for the all-American rookie to win the 500 in the National Guard car on Memorial Day weekend.

Alas...

Thiesman getting leg broke. Euchhh!

Roberto Duran bailing out a fight (no mas, no mas) w/ Sugar Ray Leonard was shocking as well. I was truly impressed w/ Duran and thought he'd knock the crap out of Leonard.

(EDIT)-Suppose I'd have to say #1 shocking event would be the US Olympic Team beating USSR in Lake Placid. Didn't involve major injury or death, but damned shocking.

Comment

Oh dear, that is painful. Did he even need to lap the other guy? Also, Wheldon might have been advised to celebrate a little less vociferously (or maybe that's just my Englishness coming through). He was gifted this win and a little bit of sympathy for the other guy might have been worthy.

Watson at Turnberry 2009 and Lindsey Jacobellis in the Olympic Snowboard Cross final spring to mind. But I don't think anything will quite top this.

Comment

Wheldon was fair to celebrate as his story was pretty compelling as well. Plus the fact the number of times the lead changes in the 500 is crazy (added to the fact the Rookie guy was low on fuel so Wheldon was catching him, though being an idiot and going on the dirty track certainly helped him out).

Crazy ending though. I love the 500. I will make sure to go again next year - can't quite believe I decided we had better not this year.

no, he had no need to lap the guy. Just he was really low on fuel, so if he had slowed he risked not having the gas to get going again and being overtaken. So he took the risk of going outside. Which, especially on this year's 500 was a very risky idea (debris out there was heavy this year).

Comment

Can't fault Wheldon, he's just screaming to his teammates, especially that he finished 2nd the previous 2 years. In NASCAR, the slow traffic goes way out of the way for the leaders. That lapped a-hole was lame for staying low instead of going high for Hildebrand.

This was like the 1990 Daytona 500, where Dale Earnhardt was about to win the race he never won, the wife was seen cheering...then he burned his engine on turn 3.

Comment

Obviously the top 2 finishes in Nascar history
            1976 Daytona

1979 Daytona

Comment

Steven Bradbury's Olympic gold medal.

Comment

"Oh, he's missed it! The poor, poor lad!"

Comment

The Exploding Vole wrote:
                  "Oh, he's missed it! The poor, poor lad!"
                  Is that Don Fox?

Comment

No, it's still me. Trick of the light, perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                    X