XIII - The Rugby League Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got jumped on heavily the last time I gave my opinion of Union, so I'll just say I don't like it.

Comment

Yeah - me and you were fairly disparaging towards yawnion, if remember correctly.

How good was Gallen in game 2? I think his stats were 211m carried, 30-odd tackles and 22 hit-ups, all against (virtually) the current Australian pack, in the toughest contest in world football - all codes (IMO). Insane.

Someone unthread mentioned Vautin's QLD side from '95, who won the series 3-0 that year against all odds. That was an amazing coaching effort. Stuart's effort in game 2 was on par with that - his response to our (NSW) forwards getting pummelled by the simply brilliant QLD pack in game 1 was not to put a greater onus on our forwards' need to match it with QLD's, but instead chose to virtually do away with prop-forwards all together, and instead picked 7 back-rowers. These tough, more nimble chaps turned the QLD lummoxes around, time and again - resulting in a great (and much-needed) win for the mighty blues.

Can't wait for game 3.

Comment

Janik,
        If I might be pedantic, you say the player 'can' play the ball straight away. In fact he must play the ball straight away and it is in his interest to do so. The defence will be attempting to organise and he will want to ensure his players are running against a disorganised defence, a quick ruck and the right formation called by the hooker or half back will lead to a break.

This does mean the game is incomparably fluid compared to american football and I would argue generally more fluid than rugby union, where a scrum half with a dominant pack will often take his time.

The downside is that it can make it rather hectic.

Comment

Meanwhile, in Super League land, Warrington and St Helens produced a real classic last night, with Wire shading it 35-28. Considering it absolutely hosed it down for the entire game, the attacking rugby played by both sides was truly breathtaking. The other 2 sides in the top 4, Wigan and Huddersfield, clash this evening.

Elsewhere in the table, my team Bradford only went and did the unthinkable and won away at hated local rivals Leeds. Hooray!

Comment

Haven't watched the game yet, but congrats to the Maroons on a 6th successive series win. They've really been pushed hard this year, though.

Sounds like a horror injury for Johnathon Thurston, though, which is a big shame.

Comment

Sam Tompkins, Sportswriters player of the season.

It can rarely have been easier to choose.

Comment

Oh, I don't know - Matt King and Michael Mongahan must have given them something to think about.

Comment

Australians? Pshaw.

My girlfriend is very happy at Warrington winning the league for the first time in her lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                  X