X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Macho King is no more

Another WWF star of my childhood bites the dust

I stopped paying attention to wrestling some time during high school, but Randy "Macho Man" Savage was, to my mind, the most entertaining WWF star. He seemed to really embrace the ridiculousness and gaudy theatricality of the spectacle, and then turned all the dials up to 11.

R.I.P.

Comment

Oh, man. One of the greatest.

It'll be interesting to see how the WWE react, seeing as they've pretty much erased him from their history (there are rumours about him and Vince's underaged daughter).

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOO.

This was one of the deaths that my tear ducts actually started to rev up a bit. Not close to getting misty, but enough to cause a small ripple in the muscles.

When it all comes down to it, when it's all boiled and cooked and stripped down to the core, he was my favorite. Stone Cold's 1998 run was up there, Four Horsemen Flair v Dusty was up there, the Road Warriors were up there, but Macho and Elizabeth just hit chords that never were played before and never have since.

It's not enough he had one of the greatest matches of all time against Ricky Steamboat in WrestleMania III, it's not enough that he lost the match, it's that...as one of the most insanely dastardly heels at the time, a man who took a ring bell to Ricky Steamboat's throat at a time when a steel chair to the back was the worst violent act known to man....it's that he cried.

Head bowed and tucked into his arm as Miss Elizabeth slowly rubbed his back with her white gloves as they rode into the Detroit night on that ring cart. I mean what a confusing thing for a 12-year-old to process. YES ! HE LOST ! But....that hot woman who's like the hot teacher we all want to hug us really looks like she loves him. BUT HE'S A BASTARD AND IS CRYING HA HA ! But....I cried and my mom rubbed my back. Only she didn't look like Miss Elizabeth.

I've talked about WrestleMania IV, how it was the greatest way to see a match. At the Rutgers Basketball Arena in Piscataway, NJ....6,000 chairs on the court with a giant tv set at one end....Hulk Hogan hitting DiBiase with the chair, Macho coming to his senses after getting the Million Dollar Dream, climbing to the top rope, raising his arms to deliver the flying elbow....and me turning to my friend and screaming with all possible joy - "MACHO MAN IS GONNA WIN THE BELT! !!!!"

Thousands of people climbing their folding chairs along with Macho...the silouettes of thousands of people jumping up and down - on their chairs, off their chairs, back on their chairs, back off their chairs - as he flew down on DiBiase.

Macho made it all possible. You didn't have to be the biggest, you didn't have to be 7' 4" 389 lbs, you didn't have to be on Hollywood movies or star in the biggest shows...you could be Macho Man. You could be hilarious in your interviews and have great tag lines that would be used by Slim Jim beef jerky in later years and be the most entertaining, best and most crazy wrestler who'd bust his ass in every match he had. Like Renart said, crank it up to 11. Then 12. Then 13. Holy shit, this motherfucker just skipped 14 and went to 15.

He dumped Miss Elizabeth for Sensational Sherri one year, and in the end, Miss Elizabeth was there for him. When he reunited after dumping Sensational Sherri, they hugged in the ring. People were crying all over the arena. When she went to open the ring ropes for him, and he stopped her, people were afraid his cruelty would come out again. Only this time, Macho went to the ring ropes, and opened them for Miss Elizabeth. People weren't crying anymore. They were bawling.

I just would've loved to have seen what Shakespeare would've thought of him.

Comment

Vorhees,

DIG IT.

Comment

Ah shit. Randy Savage was great. Him and Bret Hart were my men back in the day. Great memories though, with the aforementioned bout with Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat at Wrestlemania III the pinnacle. Even his re-uniting with Elizabeth in the immediate aftermath of his defeat to the Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania VII was the highlight of that event. Great memories.

Comment

He was "Duff Man" on the Simpsons, wasn't he?

Comment

He was married at the end. He also looked like a grizzled old warrior at the end.

Comment

At least he died just in time...

Comment

Wasn't he in Spiderman?

Definitely one that helped propel wrestling into YOUR living room.

(Those images on Where's Randy Savage are brilliant, in the main)

Comment

The Deadspin guy has done a fitting tribute (including a dozen video clips).

Comment

Quite a touching tribute from the former Ultimate Warrior.

and

Worth watching if you have the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X