Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We must have done 'Worst Cover Versions', yes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though Fall Out Boy come close:

Great notation at the start an all.

Comment

Glad to see Madonna taking a kicking on this thread. I've got a CD of Lennon covers and she's done Imagine on it, and it's the most turgid, dreary shite.

George Michael's recent brutal slaying of True Faith deserves a mention.

Comment

Sheriff John Stone wrote:
        Though Fall Out Boy come close:

Great notation at the start an all.
        Jesus that's poor.

Comment

That Andrea Corr version of Tinsletown In The Rain is middling in the extreme. In no way good but not exactly awful either.

If it wasn't for the success of Ray Of Light then Madonna's career would have looked like a two decade long path of slowly diminishing returns (since Erotica). This opinion may very well be ill-conceived and just plain wrong but I'm standing by it.

Anyway, the Numan cover which Clive nominated is going to take some beating. It's quite spectacular.

Comment

The most grating for me was Boyzone doing 'When The Going Gets Tough'. Listening to Keating trying to even hit half of the notes of the original yet alone do a decent cover was downright embarrassing.

Comment

I had the dubious pleasure of being acquainted by a death metal cover version of "The Final Countdown". The instrumentation is faithful to Europe's original, which made me assume that the singer's satanically growling vocals were intended to spoof the death metal genre. A bit like G-Teen's marvellously sinister-sounding "Jingle Bells" as sung by a death metal merchant.

A little investigation disabused me of the idea that this rendition of "Final Countdown" was a big joke, perhaps by the Richard Cheese of death metal. Alas, I discovered, this was a straight, deadly serious cover. At which point I stopped laughing.

Comment

There seem to be at least three of those, by Norther, Dispatched and the Children of Bodom. I'm guessing Norther's is probably the one you mean, though; the guitar part is closest to Europe's.

Comment

If it wasn't for the success of Ray Of Light then Madonna's career would have looked like a two decade long path of slowly diminishing returns (since Erotica).
                  Artistically, definitely - but sadly not especially in sales terms: Music has still shifted over 15m copies worldwide.

Every single person who bought that abomination of a record should be stuffed naked into a giant rocket and shot into outer space for ever. Every last one. Even people I like that I know bought it.

Comment

Always on my Mind by The Pet Shop Boys is superb, and better than the original.

I agree. I don't know if it's better than the original. It's apples and oranges. But it's my favorite PSB tune of that era.

I don't mind the Dixie Chicks' version of Landslide. It's not great. I even like the Smashing Pumpkins version better, but it's not horrendous.

I've never heard a cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart that I've really liked. It's one of my favorite songs of all time, but I'm not trying to be precious about it. Even New Order's cover of it is a bit shit, and I'm way more tolerant of New Order than most.

I hate all of those bossanova versions of pop songs. In fact, I kinda hate bossanova in general.

If it wasn't for the success of Ray Of Light then Madonna's career would have looked like a two decade long path of slowly diminishing returns (since Erotica).
                    In what sense has her career not been a two decade long path of slowly dimishing returns?

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                      I've never heard a cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart that I've really liked. It's one of my favorite songs of all time, but I'm not trying to be precious about it. Even New Order's cover of it is a bit shit, and I'm way more tolerant of New Order than most.
                      I kind of like P.J. Proby's version, but in part because it is such a trainwreck. I liked The Swans' cover when I first heard it, but gradually got sick of it. I've never heard a version that comes anywhere close to the power of the original.

I hate all of those bossanova versions of pop songs. In fact, I kinda hate bossanova in general.
                      I'm on to your game:

Comment

Why at Last! wrote:
                        There seem to be at least three of those, by Norther, Dispatched and the Children of Bodom. I'm guessing Norther's is probably the one you mean, though; the guitar part is closest to Europe's.
                        You know your death metal. Yeah, it was Norther, a Finnish outfit.

Comment

I just found out today that Andrea Corr from out of The Corrs has done a cover version of the majestic Tinseltown in the Rain by the Blue Nile. It wasn't the worst cover I'd heard just a bit pointless and insipid. As might have been expected I guess.

Comment

I've just been in the cafe downstairs and heard Tom Jones utterly eviscerating Portishead's All Mine. Comprehensively annihiliated, in the way that only Tom Jones can comprehensively annihiliate a song.

Help.

Comment

None of these compare to this:

It really makes me sad about America to see this.

Comment

Then again, this one might be even worse:

Comment

Can't we blame those on Canada?

(Please?)

Comment

Yeah, I suppose. But the first of those crimes, at least, happened in Vegas, but sadly didn't stay there.

Comment

We can't be held responsible for what they do outside our borders. See also Shatner, William.

Comment

One bad cover is bad, but hows about two for the price of one?

Will To Power - Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird

And they followed this up with...

Will To Power - I'm Not in Love

I would scour for more, but I want to live. Only just mind...

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                                          In what sense has her career not been a two decade long path of slowly dimishing returns?
                                          I hate Madonna, but come on, "Four Minutes" was righteous.

Comment

Renart wrote:
                                            Agreed on Counting Crows' "Big Yellow Taxi." It abandons the black humor and wistfulness of Joni's original and transforms it into a song of turgid whining.
                                            A song in which Joni complains they 'Paved Paradise to put up a parking lot', a measure which actually would have alleviated traffic congestion on the outskirts of Paradise, something which Joni singularly fails to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of the world. Nevertheless, nice song.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                                              The manic street preachers cover version of suicide is painless gave me hives.
                                              They made up for it with a wonderful cover of Rihanna's "Umbrella".

Comment

The Cult - Born to be wild.

It ruins a smashing album...yes..smashing. The album sounds like Danzig fronting AC/DC.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                                  Reed John wrote:
                                                  I hate Madonna, but come on, "Four Minutes" was righteous.
                                                  The version from 'Glee' is better.

Comment

Escape from Alcaraz wrote:
                                                    One bad cover is bad, but hows about two for the price of one?

Will To Power - Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird

And they followed this up with...

Will To Power - I'm Not in Love

I would scour for more, but I want to live. Only just mind...
                                                    I got confused for a minute there and will now have a 'Kissing with Confidence' ear worm all day.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X