Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We must have done 'Worst Cover Versions', yes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll say it again: I won't open YouTube links marked "this". Those who post them won't lose sleep over it, but it's much better to get the message across if one identifies the song one is linking to.

Comment

Central Rain wrote:
      I'd like to nominate this.

Good Lord. And I thought Gun's version was bad.

Comment

Almost completely off topic, there was a very good (I thought) Northern Soul version of Purple Haze, but I can't find it. Does anyone know the name of the singer?

EDIT: O.K. it was Johnny Jones and the King Casuals...

Not quite as good as I remember it

Comment

I know there are some people who are going to champion it as some kind of kitsch / cult (give or take a consonant) classic, but I really cannot stand:

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner

Comment

Cunting Crows -- 'Big Yellow Taxi'

The first few times I heard it on the radio I thought it was by the aforementioned Ronan Keating.

Comment

Agreed on Counting Crows' "Big Yellow Taxi." It abandons the black humor and wistfulness of Joni's original and transforms it into a song of turgid whining.

Strongly disagree on Pet Shop Boys' cover of "Always on My Mind." That's one of my favorite covers. I love the Willie Nelson version, too. Was Elvis's the first version? I like that, too.

Coincidentally, I heard Billy Idol's cover of "Mony Mony" on the radio this morning. It's pretty bad.

Comment

If it hasn't been mentioned already Madonna's cover of 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' is worthy of a sound thrashing every day for the rest of her life. Another "How To Ruin A Great Song" moment.

Comment

Sting covered the great Bill Withers's "Ain't No Sunshine," the very thought of which makes me want to go on a knife-crime spree.

Comment

Renart wrote:
                    Strongly disagree on Pet Shop Boys' cover of "Always on My Mind." That's one of my favorite covers. I love the Willie Nelson version, too. Was Elvis's the first version? I like that, too.

Brenda Lee did the original. Background here.

Comment

I've just heard Andrea Corr on the radio slaughtering 'Tinseltown In The Rain'.

Shortly followed by the presenter reading out a load of irate texts from Blue Nile fans.

Comment

Talking of Ronan Keating, his assault on "When You Say Nothing At All" merits a mention, and perhaps a good kicking.

Of course, anything mentioned here so far is blown out of the water by that toxic fart that is Michael Fucking Bolton.

Comment

G.Man wrote:
                          Renart wrote:

Brenda Lee did the original. Background here.
                          Ah, thanks!

Comment

G.Man wrote:
                            Talking of Ronan Keating, his assault on "When You Say Nothing At All" merits a mention, and perhaps a good kicking.
                            Never actually knew that was a cover.

Comment

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:
                              I've just heard Andrea Corr on the radio slaughtering 'Tinseltown In The Rain'.

Shortly followed by the presenter reading out a load of irate texts from Blue Nile fans.
                              Oh God, I heard that whilst driving the other day and nearly crashed the car. Fuck me.

Comment

When You Say Nothing At All is an Alison Krauss song. It's not dramatically better than Keating's I don't reckon. Think it's just a poor song.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                                  When You Say Nothing At All is an Alison Krauss song. It's not dramatically better than Keating's I don't reckon. Think it's just a poor song.
                                  I don't think it is. It has been poisoned by Ronan Keating. Anyway,the original is by Keith Whitley, who wrote it. Whether or not one likes the song, Keating's version is infinitely inferior to the versions by Whitley or Krauss.

Comment

I just inadvertently heard a version of 'French Disko' by Editors. It's an affront to music - shit Joy Division copyists should stick to shit Joy Division copies.

Comment

An obvious choice perhaps, but No Doubt's cover of Talk Talk's 'It's My Life' is an absolute fughing atrocity.

Comment

Word.

And welcome, Senor Womble.

Comment

Cheers Hobbes - you'll know me by another ID from the previous board. Took my time getting back onto this one.

Comment

Top, top user name.

Comment

Yes, applause. Though I thought we had another Wimbledonian at first.

Comment

Bewigged Tory MP for Lichield Michael Fabricant covering Bob Dylan's 'The Times Are A Changing' like some bastard lovechild of Boris Johnson and Harry Enfield, only significantly better/worse than that sounds. Watch it all here, if you dare.

Fabricant's complaint that the guitarist (resplendent in a hi-vis jacket) starts playing too high reminds me of an enormous fall out between the head and deputy head at a secondary school I used to work at. They were playing at a Christmas party for the students, with the head taking lead vocals. He had, however, failed to turn up to any practices and during soundcheck demanded they changed to a lower key. This greatly angered the deputy head on bass, who had carefully tip-ex'd the relevant frets so he wouldn't play any bum notes. A ferocious "if you'd come to rehearsal this wouldn't have been a problem" row ensued leaving the drummer (a sixth-former) somewhat aghast. The head got his way in the end, and the deputy spectacularly failed to play any of the right notes in anything approaching the right order.

Comment

Fatter Hipper wrote:
                                                  ...Michael Fabricant...
                                                  That's a made-up name, surely?

I hadn't taken my coat off, thank you.

Comment

Still this:

The Complete Stone Roses and Peter Hook's 'Love Will Tear Us Apaaaaaarrrghhhhhh'

Comment

Working...
                                                    X