Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We must have done 'Worst Cover Versions', yes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can separate the idea of Philip Larkin lying in a private letter to Kingsley Amis that he had a wank to the Mini Pops, or whatever it was, from his poems, cause it has no real relevance to them unless you're a mediocre academic who lacks the imagination to say something new about them.

Well yes, I can do that too — to a point. But I can't un-know it. It's there, another crumb of trivia lodged in the toaster-tray that passes for my mind these days.

Besides it's often not at all clear to me where the line between performance and non-performance lies. At the very least I'd be stripping away context without being sure of it's relevance

I admit I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, as I make a point of avoiding reviews and analyses in advance of seeing, reading, or listening to something. Consequently whole swathes of creative endeavour pass me by. Which, I guess, is a separate issue.

Comment

I can't tell if cover band Milwaukee Mode are serious or not.
      "Strangelove"
      "Behind the Wheel"

Comment

Whatever your opinion of SOAD, you'd have to agree that Avril Lavigne's Chop Suey is fucking criminal.

Comment

Much to love about this thread, not least the mental image of Ray fuming for 21 years about that Faster Pussycat cover.

If said it before but, even though I love Johnny Cash as much as the next man but his, erm, idiosyncratic singing which works so well on his original stuff ruins many many covers (including the aforementioned "In my life")

Fussbudget wrote: Rolling Stone readers have their say.reminded me that Jessica Simpson's version of These Boots are Made For Walking is in fact the worst record (and video) ever made.
          I covered that at my 50th at Christmas and Ray will probably attest that it was worse. I thought Simpson's version was ok but I could have been distracted by the video

Comment

3 Colours Red wrote: Whatever your opinion of SOAD, you'd have to agree that Avril Lavigne's Chop Suey is fucking criminal.
            I spent a little while after misreading this wondering when Avril Lavigne had covered a Stormtroopers Of Death song.

Thankfully, I then realised it was System Of A Down and it is impossible to make their rubbish any worse.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: ...it is impossible to make their rubbish any worse.
              Oh believe me, she found a way.

Comment

Surely there has been no crime worse committed than that of Fine Young Cannibals destruction of The Buzzcocks' Ever Fallen In Love.

Comment

I can't believe I didn't add this when I saw it somewhere on the telly last year. Marr put his name to it too.

Last Shadow Puppets doing Totally Wired.

Comment

That is truly horrendous - haven't clicked the link this time but I'm still haunted by the first and, if I have anything at all to do with it, only time I saw it.

Comment

Can I just say that this is the very thread upon which I made my OTF bow back in May 2011 (page 2)?

No, sorry, there isn't time.
                      Last edited by Jah Womble; 16-05-2018, 08:43.

Comment

Reminds me - Kirsten Dunst did a version of "Turning Japanese" which is awful. But then she's parading around Tokyo dressed as a anime schoolgirl, so the exercise wasn't entirely without merit.

Comment

Talking of Pat Boone his cover of "Tutti Frutti" is quite unbelievable.

And Graham Parker covering "Hold Back The Night" was not a good idea

Comment

Not quite as unbelievable as his version of Song to the Siren (see upthread)

Comment

Is that Brian Blessed threatening Ms Diane from Crossroads on the you tube still? It’s definitely better than his go at Tutti Frutti.

Had his delivery been less leaden and shite, that could have worked ok as an MOR arrangement of the song. I first heard it via Grangemouth’s finest, so when I first saw Buckley on the Monkees last show playing it, I was a wee bit disappointed. He’s no Liz Frazer.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-05-2018, 23:02.

Comment

Nah, the "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" kills it stone dead before take-off. This Mortal Coil's is very good, better than Buckley's studio recording which is destroyed by phasing and other assorted knob twiddlings. However neither, for me, match the Monkees TV version. He's just so "inside" the song it can't really be matched. So odd he waited several years before recording it.

Comment

Well yeah, you’d have to assume no other singer would have agreed to deliver that intro but Slippers Pat. Glenn Campbell singing to that arrangement wouldn’t have been unbearable, had he laid off the Long John’s.

I’ll give the Monkees clip another go so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryvbas Gripper Rih View Post
                                    I can't believe I didn't add this when I saw it somewhere on the telly last year. Marr put his name to it too.

Last Shadow Puppets doing Totally Wired.

Holy shite. Fuckin sacrilege from stage northerners. Wrong kind of wired powder no doubt.Marr will play along with any old shite. I didnt even really like Modest Mouse. Is that a Pan generational supergroup then?

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                      Graham Parker covering "Hold Back The Night" was not a good idea
                                      I'd dispute that.

Comment

Working...
                                      X