Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We must have done 'Worst Cover Versions', yes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did this win?

I thought this was going to be the Dixie Chicks' cover of "Landslide".

Comment

You're at odds with LenaNikola who believes it to be 'one of the best covers ever, generally speaking!

Ha ha ha.
      'Generally speaking', what does that even mean?

Anyway, I humbly submit this lot of old cobblers.
      This should also feature in the How To Murder A Great Song thread too...

Comment

Actually...

Comment

I'd have to nominate your woman Houston, who took a nice, sweet, nowhere-near-her-best-but-perfectly-likeable Dolly Parton number and created something so vile that Heaven cries out for vengeance.

I mean, the others so far are all freak-show exhibits, and they even have, arguably, a touch of kitsch appeal. Whitney H's version of "I Will Always Love You" was a huge, unavoidable worldwide smash hit and a massive load of shit. And the original was, let me repeat, a really nice little song.

Comment

Step aside...

Comment

I've seen that Numan cover on 'suggestions' before but could never bring myself to click on it.

Ozzy Osbourne did a covers album a few years back. This diabolical version of In My Life was released as a single.

Comment

George wrote:
                Ozzy Osbourne did a covers album a few years back. This diabolical version of In My Life was released as a single.
                "Rotten Beatles covers" is a giant thread in itself. I appreciate you can make a good list of fine Beatles covers (I remember G-Man putting one together), but I contend these are the minority.

Here's another ropey version of In My Life.

Comment

I'm sure this has won in the past.

Comment

George wrote:
                    I've seen that Numan cover on 'suggestions' before but could never bring myself to click on it.
                    God, it's far, far worse than it has any right to be, even given what it is.

Comment

I disagree quite violently with Calvert: Always on my Mind by The Pet Shop Boys is superb, and better than the original.

Now this is how you fuck up a good song. One of those covers where, at every point, you can see the thought processes, and how wrong those thought processes were.

Comment

What Wyatt said about the Numan clip.

It's one thing to stumble upon one of these inadvertently; it's quite another to stare slack jawed at the sheer awfulness of something you fully expected to be execrable.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                          Always on my Mind by The Pet Shop Boys is superb, and better than the original.
                          This is soooooo true that it's daft that it had to be said.

Comment

Duran Duran -- 911 Is A Joke

Madonna -- American Pie

Comment

it's difficult to think of a cover that the Shoppies haven't nailed or improved on the original, though I'll admit I haven't heard all of these.

Comment

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:
                                Madonna -- American Pie
                                So awful that even the original largely disappeared from radio station playlists for a few years. Presumably due to shame.

Comment

The original being eight and a half minutes long probably doesn't help.

It's great for timing the perfect length shower to, which I frequently did as a student.

Comment

But there was the 'Radio Edit' version of the song which is the one that gets played. Normal service as resumed now anyway.

Although not in the same class as some of the turds mentioned so far the Don McLean cover of Crying is a bit of a stinker.

Comment

Move aside, amateurs - nothing can beat this offering from Cork's finest tequila-lovers.

Comment

Douze Points Rouges wrote:
                                        Move aside, amateurs - nothing can beat this offering from Cork's finest tequila-lovers.
                                        That's the winner - it is shit on SO many levels.

Comment

D.P.R. wins this one by a distance - makes Duffy seem competent in comparison.

The video is supposed to be ironic, right?

Comment

The manic street preachers cover version of suicide is painless gave me hives. but it has to be ronan keating and moya brennan's cover of Fairytale of new york

Comment

I can't find a complete version on the net, but Joe Smooth (yes, he who did the almighty acid-house classic "Promised Land") did a cover version of "Purple Haze" which defies description.

I've found the following clip of it:

http://www.juno.co.uk/miniflashplayer/SF1429396-02-01-08.mp3

I challenge anyone to last more than 30 seconds.

edit: Actually, riding this theme, The Style Council's cover of Promised Land is f`*cking atrocious too.

Comment

The Purple Cow wrote:
                                                D.P.R. wins this one by a distance - makes Duffy seem competent in comparison.

The video is supposed to be ironic, right?
                                                The Republic of Telly guys did the now famous Rubberbandits video, so yeah, they're basically trying to recapture the same vibe.

Comment

I'd like to nominate this.

I also once had a housemate who played this over and over and over and fucking over again. Most of it makes me want to cause significant damage to inanimate objects.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X