Seve Ballesteros in the heavenly clubhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seve was "deteriorating fast" when I first posted this last night, according to statements from his family, and sadly he passed away in the early hours this morning. I'm genuinely gutted by this, he was my childhood hero.

My top Seve moments:

1. 1976. The Open Championship at Birkdale. The 19-year-old Ballesteros stuns the world by leading the Open after the second round and still by 2 shots with a round to play, playing the third round in a bright yellow shirt as if he was leading the Tour de France. Almost inevitably Seve is overtaken by American giant Johnny Miller during the final round, but hangs on for second place and becomes an instant hero.

2. 1979. At Lytham, Ballesteros (who by now has truly announced himself on the world stage, winning a couple of big events in 1978) wins an extraordinary Open Championship, where he misses almost every fairway in the final round with some pounding but wayward driving, then fashions the most extraordinary recovery shots to win. Jack Nicklaus, no less, is beaten into second place.

3. 1980, Augusta. Seve takes the Masters and simply owns it. As many as 9 shots clear at one point during the final round, Seve wobbles a bit over the closing holes (his achilles heel would always be those closing holes there ...) but wins, and European golf suddenly has a champion who, like Tony Jacklin a decade before, has beaten the Yanks over here and over there. The NBC commentator bloke in the Butler Cabin announces him to a US audience as he puts the Green Jacket on as "Steve".

4. 1983, Augusta. Seve regains his Masters green jacket, on a final day that sees him overtake Tom Watson, Craig Stadler and Ray Floyd and hold off Ben Crenshaw and Tom Kite, thus single-handedly beating half of that year's US Ryder Cup team. Later that year, a Seve-inspired European team come within one hole of regaining the Ryder Cup for the first time since 1957. Seve also becomes world number one, the first European to hold that accolade since rankings began in the 1960s.

5. 1984, St. Andrews. Seve starts the final day of the Open behind leader Tom Watson, who was bidding to win the championship for the third year running. Seve plays his by now familiar brand of mercurial golf, balancing outrageous risk with genius recovery ability, and his day is capped with a curling 10-foot putt for birdie on the last that has the crowd roaring, just as Watson is bogeying the 17th behind him. Seve's fist-pumping celebration is the golfing image of the year, possibly the decade, and one might suggest the inspiration for a certain golfer who likes a bit of the old fist-pumping nowadays. Seve's win is greeted like a British one would have been by the "home" crowd - his wins in 1979 and 1984 are now the only Open championships not won by Americans (or Gary Player) since 1969, and Seve truly is taken to British hearts as one of their own.

6. 1985, the Belfry. Europe regain the Ryder Cup for the first time since 1957. Seve is without doubt the team's inspiration. Since his Masters victory in 1983, Bernhard Langer and Sandy Lyle have also become major champions.

7. 1986, Augusta. Seve blows the Masters, hitting his second shot into water at the 15th and then dunking his tee shot at 16, while Jack Nicklaus, up ahead, is on his way to an improbable victory. However, Seve's grace in defeat - tipping his cap on the final green to a now-cheering crowd, who had only moments before been jeering his errors - stays with me.

8. 1988, Lytham. Seve wins a third Open Championship, and goes back to world number one, finishing his victory with probably the best chip shot ever played on the final hole of a major championship that didn't actually go in, an immaculate 50-foot running shot that finished 6 inches away from the hole. Nick Price, who had been looking at a 10-foot putt of his own for a playoff (or even victory) had Seve messed up, just smiled and shook Seve's hand.

There are others (his captaincy of the 1997 Ryder Cup winning team, his dominance of the World Matchplay in the 1980s, him and his caddy walking disconsolate and alone in the mist back up the 10th fairway at the 1987 Masters, after 3-putting the first playoff hole, little knowing that Larry Mize was about to hole that shot on the next hole anyway to win and break Greg Norman's heart), his amazing Ryder Cup partnership with his 'protegé' Olazabal) but those will do, for now.

The most charismatic and downright exciting golfer I have ever seen.

Suerte, Seve.

Comment

The 1988 Open win was pretty impressive to me. Faldo was clearly incredibly good and had won the 1987 Open. But Seve made him look like a plodder in that final round in 1988.

Comment

Seve was always I guess one of those sportspeople - like Flintoff - whose talent and charisma was such as to draw in people not that fussed about their sport itself, as I'm not with golf.

Genuinely very sad, this.

Comment

Watched the documentary on him with Peter Allis, and I am amazed that he's still going as he didn't look well at all, and that was a year or so ago.

It's testimony to his spirit that he's still going.

Go on Seve, you can play through the rough dudeman.

Comment

Seve's death has just been announced.

Comment

As I said on the other thread. The only golfer in my lifetime that made the sport exciting. I think he was great. Very sad.

Comment

Really sad news. Too young as well, given that he could still have been playing.

Comment

"Seve Ballesteros. The Bullfighter, that's what I call him, though technically he's a professional golfer. A friend of mine said recently, 'What do you get if you cross a ballerina and a bastard?'. 'Ballesteros' was his answer. I guess if you analyse it, Seve combines the qualities of both those animals. He has the lithe sophistication and nimbleness of a ballerina, combined with the hard-nosed, ruthless thuggery of a bastard."

Comment

Very sad news. Some sports can be marked by eras before and after the presence of one individual. With golf, it's Seve.

As a kid in the 1980's, and one who followed an awful lot of sports, I had two heroes - Diego Maradona and Seve Ballesteros. The adoration came from my father who just loved how Seve played the game. As daring as he was talented, the willingness to abandon regulation golf meant we were always treated to an exhibition of play from the rough and the sand. It was that part of the game that made me fall in love with the sport.

The Ryder Cup is what it is because of Seve. European golf was born because of Seve. I love the game of golf because of Seve. Thanks for everything, Seve.

Comment

Absolutely, re the Ryder Cup. And not only because Britain and Ireland had been hammered out of sight for about twenty years running before the team became Europe, but because Seve was instrumental in showing the rest of the European side (who did used to occasionally beat him, in European tour events) that the American golfers, in turn, were beatable. Such a myth of invincibility had been built up about the American players, especially when they came to play at the Open, that you sensed some of the European players (and our media) just felt turning up and getting close would be an achievement. The papers used to preview Opens speculating who would be Britain (and by extension Europe)'s highest finisher, not if any were serious contenders to win it. But after Seve's second win in 1984, suddenly that explosion in European golf took off, with Langer, Lyle, Faldo, Woosnam and Ollie all winning majors of their own in short order. The Ryder Cup became truly competitive again, not just through Seve's personal efforts but because he had given all his team-mates the self-belief they needed to get to the next level as well.

One of my favourite golfing quotes of all time sums up the aura the man had. When young Paul Way was selected for the 1983 Ryder Cup team, he was interviewed about his feelings as the first set of pairings were announced by the captains. Would Way admit to nerves, apprehension? Were his thoughts about the might of the Americans they were up against? Way: "I'm playing with Seve! I'm playing with Seve!".

Comment

As E10 says, for someone not interested in the game or, like me, interested but not a great follower, Seve was one of those players that you just grew up with.

Fantastic looking guy, always looked super-cool even during the dodgier years of golf fashion. What I saw of him recovering from his illness showed that he was as tough as old boots as well. Typical Basque. I know my Dad will be shedding a tear

Thanks for the list, Rogin. I am going to see if I can seek out that list on Youtube but I have an idea I have seen a lot of them anyway. I hadn't seen this though which is great

Comment

Seve was my all time favourite sportsman and I'm not even a particularly big fan of golf. Seve was European golf to me.

He's up there with Ali when it comes to charismatic sports people. I'm genuinely gutted that he has died. Really sad news.

Comment

For me, golf has been a great game to play but almost always a terrible game to watch. Seve is one of the very few players - perhaps the only one - who broke that rule for me. It's very sad news indeed.

Comment

I am a little too young to have seen him in his heyday but Seve was the hero of my dad. All through my childhood and even up to last weekend any good shot my dad played out of a trouble spot would be referred to a Seve.

54 is no age for a golfer, Tom Watson should have won the Open when he was older than that. It's very sad.

Comment

Back in the mid-90's the European Open was played at the K-Club, due to Michael Smurfit's substantial sponsorship. My uncle was a member of a club down the round and he was asked to provide someone to carry round the board displaying the match score for the weekend. I jumped at the opportunity, and had one goal in mind - get Seve's threeball. When I arrived at the course early on the Thursday morning, I headed straight for the tent. To my dismay, Seve's game for the opening two rounds had been nabbed by some other fellow-believer. I asked for a game that didn't correspond with Seve's so I could follow his game with the gallery, but I was disgusted. There was a large gallery following Seve's game, but it was enthralling and disheartening watching him play - his game had fallen badly, and it was affecting him. Temperamental and frustrated, he gave 'the eyes' to the crowd whenever there was a noise, and cursed himself at the numerous three-putts he brought about. The round was truncated with the occasional chip from the rough where the ball was stitched to within two feet of the pin, and the roar of approval from the gallery was one of real admiration. It was captivating stuff.

My compensation was that I got the final game on the Sunday, where I witnessed at close hand Costantino Rocca blow a three-shot lead on the back nine allowing Per-Ulrik Johannsen to win. But it wasn't like watching Seve close-up.

Comment

RIP. Nothing to add, just bumping this up above the spam.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                    "Seve Ballesteros. The Bullfighter, that's what I call him, though technically he's a professional golfer. A friend of mine said recently, 'What do you get if you cross a ballerina and a bastard?'. 'Ballesteros' was his answer. I guess if you analyse it, Seve combines the qualities of both those animals. He has the lithe sophistication and nimbleness of a ballerina, combined with the hard-nosed, ruthless thuggery of a bastard."
                                    On 5 Live this morning, Colin Montgomery actually called Ballesteros "the matador". I don't think he was knowingly referencing Partridge.

Comment

I'd echo Meregreen's thoughts.

To me, with no real interest or grounding in the sport, Seve was golf. I used to get very very anxious for him, willing him to do well (win) in tournaments.

A huge and very sad loss all round.

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have seen Seve play. Used to go to Wentworth with my Dad sometimes when there was a tournament on. In fact I once stood about 3 or 4 yards from him on the fringe of a green while he putted.
                                        It's a terrible terrible shame that illness first robbed him of his sport and then finally his life. It's no age to go.

Comment

Did he ever appear on Superstars?

Comment

Working...
                                          X