Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tantrums, tiaras and televoting - Eurovision 2011

ouch.

Swedwn, Estonia, and fucking Ireland, and some others.

That was spectacular by Jedward. I will NEVER say that again.

Comment

Fuck it, see you Saturday.

Comment

In no particular order:

Romania
        Slovenia
        Estonia
        Ireland
        Bulgaria

Very slim pickings tonight. I wouldn't be upset if none of them got through. On the other hand there wasn't anything hateful that you just know is going to win it.

On Tuesday night there was a post-match analysis on German TV and they were speaking ominously highly of that Finnish lad. I fear him.

Comment

Someone who can barely speak English interviewing someone who can barely understand English.
          TV Gold.

Comment

I love Lena.

Comment

Fish eyes goes through.

Comment

So, Scott Mills say "WHAT?" to Moldova, and "YES!" to Jedward. Twat.

Comment

At least we're in the final.

Four out of five - how bad?

Comment

Anyone else noticed that the host is wearing the Bosnian flag?

Comment

Four - I've beaten my record!

Comment

Right. Saturday night. One Touch Music. New Thread. Be there or be somewhere else.

Comment

Caught a few of tonight's songs whilst sorting out the Lego. Quite taken with the Belgian entry.

Comment

Zdob si Zdub (Moldova's entry) are brilliant and ought to win this thing every year. Europe's just not ready for them.

Comment

ad hoc: I am going to quote you on this for a very long time. Whether you like it or not.

Comment

You can. It was true when they first entered in 2005 - with this:

Comment

All you OTF numerologists can make your predictions based on the final line-up:

1. Finland
                                  2. Bosnia
                                  3. Denmark
                                  4. Lithuania
                                  5. Hungary
                                  6. Ireland
                                  7. Sweden
                                  8. Estonia
                                  9. Greece
                                  10. Russia
                                  11. France
                                  12. Italy
                                  13. Switzerland
                                  14. UK
                                  15. Moldova
                                  16. Germany
                                  17. Romania
                                  18. Austria
                                  19. Azerbaijan
                                  20. Slovenia
                                  21. Iceland
                                  22. Spain
                                  23. Ukraine
                                  24. Serbia
                                  25. Georgia

I'll settle for finishing ahead of the UK, hopefully top five, but for once the votes focus will probably be on France and Germany, rather than yourselves.

Comment

AW FUCK. Ireland qualified? I fell face down when they got on stage, and havent recovered.

Comment

Jedward were excellent.
                                      Although it's entirely possible, even likely you might suggest that very like that other famous band of two similar chaps who excitedly jumped around on stage in keraaaayzee outfits, they weren't actually singing.

I refer of course to Mssrs Milli and Vanilli.

Comment

Or Mr and Ms Jemini

Comment

RTE will be breaking open the champagne - an audience of 1.1 million last night, which, to put in to context, is more than watched last year's All-Ireland football final, and means virtually every household in the country tuned in at some stage, so the national grid will probably meltdown Saturday.

Comment

William Hill's odds, with 24 hours to go:

6/4 France
                                            7/2 Ireland
                                            8/1 Azerbaijan
                                            10/1 UK
                                            16/1 Estonia
                                            20/1 bar

Despite the notoriously unexpected nature of some previous contests, the bookies are never far wrong.

I think whoever puts in the best performance on the night between those top 5 will win it, unless it's the UK.

Has "as thick as a member of Blue" entered the popular vernacular yet?

Comment

My favourite qualifier (Switzerland) is 125/1.

The thing is that people are forgetting that the vote is 50/50 between televoting and juries. And has been for the last two years. Oddly, this was to stop the perceived bias towards East Europe, yet in 2009, only one of the top five of the phone voting (Azerbaijan) were from behind the old Iron Curtian (Norway, Turkey, Iceland and Greece made up the top five). Last year, none of the top three in phone voting were former Eastern Bloc nations (Germany won, followed by Turkey and Denmark).

The manner of the vote hasn't changed the winner of the last two years - but it does stop a certain type of song winning. And there is no way on earth that juries are going to vote for a gimmick, so that rules out Jedward. Instead an act needs to be popular for the masses, and also be a strong enough song with the juries. Now, I'll ignore the big five, because none of them have performed in front of the Eurovision crowd (and a bad peformance of a great song has no chance of winning), so if you're looking to bet, you're better off going for one of the blander ballady ones, either with a story, a message or a gimmick (which juries tended to favour, and appeal to masses), but not a gimmick on it's own. Of those, Azerbaijan (8/1), Estonia (18/1), Finland (22/1) and Iceland (66/1) stick out. And of those, Estonia had the strongest song, but the weakest performance (she wobbled as she started each verse), so unless they improve, they can be ruled out. So if you're looking for a punt, it might be worth a quid on the punchably smug twat with the save the world message (Finland), or the five lads from Reykjavik singing in their dead friend's honour.

Comment

Rogin en la butaca wrote:
                                                Despite the notoriously unexpected nature of some previous contests, the bookies are never far wrong.
                                                The bookies are regularly "wrong". After all, the odds don't reflect what they think, they reflect where the money has gone, or where they think the money will go. If I stick a grand on Greece in the morning, they'll go from 150/1 to Evens favourites, because the bookies won't want to take any more bets on them, and will need to increase everyone else's odds in order to attract money to cover any losses they would make should Greece win.

Comment

Yeah, the Eurovision 'market' is always weak, and one big punt (as DA says, a grand or over, although anything over a tenner and you are mental) will change the odds.

The fact that Blue is even under 20/1 is because Brits back Brits, and its (generally) British bookies laying the odds.

If France dont win this, I will never watch it again this year. (I have no money on it)

Comment

Douze Points Rouges wrote:
                                                    RTE will be breaking open the champagne - an audience of 1.1 million last night, which, to put in to context, is more than watched last year's All-Ireland football final, and means virtually every household in the country tuned in at some stage, so the national grid will probably meltdown Saturday.
                                                    Wouldn't set too much store by that. For the purposes of compiling these figures, if you are channel-hopping and you stay on Programme X for even a matter of seconds, you are counted as a viewer of that programme.

It means, for example, that technically I watched the royal wedding a couple of weeks ago, even though I was standing in a delicatessen queue at the time and got served about 20 seconds later.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X