Tantrums, tiaras and televoting - Eurovision 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Takes place Saturday week in Dusseldorf - evidently Lena's career has stalled, as she's representing Germany again this year. Italy have returned for the first time since 1997, as are Austria and Hungary, while Montenegro have withdrawn. Surprisingly, Paddy Power has Blue as second favourites for Royaume-Uni at 6-1 after the French entry. Estonia, Hungary and Sweden make up the top five, while Ireland languish in 10th at 20-1, as no-one wants to put money on Jedward.

They've broken Lena. She's gone from enormously cute and quirky into finely honed rent-a-model with cheekbones and everything.
    Good song, mind

Comment

Ah, Eurovision, time to be reminded exactly just how everyone in Europe hates us.

Forget the politics though, I still haven't gotten over the fact that this little gem only finished 21st in 2003:

Ruffus-80's coming back.
      Estonia's finest, and it's a great pop song!

And boy, were they right about the 80's.

Comment

wait, lena is the dreadful Kate nash wannabe, who danced like she'd never felt the imprint of a man's hand and was made up to bebso much whiter than her backing singers that even beyonce's daddy was made uneasy?

She is going to get crushed by The unstoppable jedward. lets just say we're aiming for the gay vote this time, and we're not ashamed

Comment

Nor should you be.

I love Eurovision, and jedward.

Comment

who danced like she'd never felt the imprint of a man's hand
            !

Comment

Oh man, this is brilliant (starts around 4 minutes)
              Song for Germany was 6 songs written for Lena that judges chose between. This one is hilarious. A selection of mismatched English clichés stitched together really badly.
              The rest are worth a watch too, if only for the brilliant way she sings the world "day."
              I love Lena.

Comment

TLMG is trying to get me to submit to buying tickets for the Eurovision "Party" being held at the local Picturehouse. £10 a pop, bar open all night, and an hour of "classics" before the show starts to get you in the mood.

I may have to throw myself down the stairs.

Comment

That sounds like fun. Where's the local Picturehouse?

Comment

Greenwich.

Shall I give you her number? I can then stay in and play Portal 2 all night whilst drinking Warsteiner.

Comment

I wonder what Eno's doing this year?

Comment

Coming round mine, I think. We're going to set up a FIFA tournament.

Comment

Can I be the 1st to point out that previous years' (usually very entertaining) Eurovision threads have been in 'Music'...?

Comment

Well, regardless of that, I've relented. I refuse to do fancy dress though.

Tickets are actually £17.50 or £15 for members, but that includes a "Euro-goodie bag" and a donation to Children in Need, so you know, could be worse.

Comment

Gonna be expensive playing the Eurovision Drinking Game at a bar.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote:
                                Can I be the 1st to point out that previous years' (usually very entertaining) Eurovision threads have been in 'Music'...?
                                But Lena apart, has Eurovision had anything to do with music since Katrina and the Waves? Since the glory days, we've long given up trying to win the thing (you've probably erased Dustin from your memory by now), but because we still see it as a popularity barometer, it doesn't stop us grousing about the bloc voting. Dana International seemingly is also back for the Israelis this year.

Comment

Tell me about it, hobbes.

What have I done?!

Comment

Eno says he didn't want to go to yours anyway.

We're having matching t-shirts made.

Comment

It's like that, is it?! I was going to let him have my goodie bag as an apology, but now he can stick it up his ambient bottom.

What do the t-shirts say?

Comment

"Brian and MsD

Eurovision Chums

No, you can't just see what's on Sky!"

The last bit is a private joke. He creased up.

Comment

Blimey, the FA Cup Final and Eurovision on the same day.

I'm not sure my heart will take the excitement.

Comment

Will it go "boom boom?"

Comment

My fiancee might not let me watch both.

If I have to choose she'll say "You're Making Your Mind Up!".

Comment

Right, stand aside, you part-timers. Alderman Barnes to thread (on the night obviously, he doesnt like it at all, ever)

I have had a not so sneaky peek at this lot and as has been mentioned upthread, its like a rewind disco at G A Y.

Blue have no chance...it starts well, but as soon as the chorus kicks in, you just know it is dead in the water.

(Dont get me wrong, they had a couple of decent songs, and know their way around a mic, but this is a no-no, unless they are all naked).

At first glance, France, is intriguing, in the same way that the guy with the ball was, and even though everyone hates the Brits, NO_ONE likes the French, because they think they are taking the piss out of the contest (yep, and although not quite as bad as the German occasional pisstakes, they have no chance, unless they guillotine Celine Dion live on stage).

I will come back to this, as I have been otherwise engaged. Same day as the cup final, you say (14th?) well, yet again, that is going to be a very pissy day.

I have a day off tomorrow, so I shall have a quick delve of the semi-finalists, and keep you posted, not that you care, but I DO.

(Rogin: fiancee? Excellent, best wishes to you both.)

Comment

Albania
                                                  Lady who reminds me of Desireless. Bit of a plodder, nice chords into chorus, then Bonnie-Tyler-ish.

Not bad, but only 4, there may be better... (however, it could be a 7, if I am hearing things right...Jim Steinman-esque.)

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/history/year/participant-profile/?song=26083

Comment

Working...
                                                  X