Current Listening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Listening

Mostly Loudon Wainwright. As I said on the singer songwriter thread the other week, I was really looking forward to his new album as it contained covers of his own songs from his first two albums.

And damn do I love those first two albums. It took a while to get used to the older Loudon singing a younger Loudon's songs. Very weird, the youthful angst and passion wasn't there in his singing at all. But after a while I just fell in love with the songs all over again. Luckily there are no radical departures from the originals, he might make a song a little more bluesy here or countrified there but nothing to get the fans up in arms.

And I've also been listening to his 1999, Social Studies. Unusually for him, it's an album of topical and political songs. It was really a compilation of all the songs he'd recorded for NPR throughout the 90s. So you get a microcosm of 90s America on one album. There are songs about OJ, Jessee Helms, Bill Clinton etc The best song on the album is about Tonya Harding - Tonya's Twirls:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2p2nFwpRh6Q

Comment

Current Listening

James McMurtry - 'Where'd You Hide The Body?'

Comment

Current Listening

Saw Ladytron on Monday night so been listening to Velocifero again since.

And it makes a lot more sense now - I'd previously given it a couple of spins thought "oh fuck, what have they done?", found it a completely indecipherable mess and gone back to 604 and Light and Magic but I'm really warming to it now.

Comment

Current Listening

I am utterly and completely obsessed by Philip Glass' Solo Piano. Haunted by it. It's so perfect.

Comment

The Chest X-Ray Song by Nellie Lutcher.

Nellie was an R&B singer from the 1940s-50s. She had a long and relatively successful career and lived to be 94. In later life she was on the board of the Los Angeles Musicians' Union. This jolly little ditty is about a subject that wasn't inconsequential back in the day, especially if you were black with no medical insurance. (Sorry I can't find a link)

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
              The Chest X-Ray Song by Nellie Lutcher.

Nellie was an R&B singer from the 1940s-50s. She had a long and relatively successful career and lived to be 94. In later life she was on the board of the Los Angeles Musicians' Union. This jolly little ditty is about a subject that wasn't inconsequential back in the day, especially if you were black with no medical insurance. (Sorry I can't find a link)
              Literally right now? Japandroids. I really like them. They're the band I would start if I could start a band.

Oh, now that's over and the Cure has come on.

Comment

Yeah literally right now.

When I'm Gone — Mary Wells.

Comment

"Mellow Waves", the new Cornelius album, is really good. The opening track on it is quite stunning. It builds and builds, and the combination of production and composition is sublime. One of the other tracks is a glorious rip off of Prefab Sprout's "Appetite". This is a lovely album!

Comment

I've just been watching the Muse set from Reading and I don't know how I could have got through that watching it live without my brain exploding. The music itself might be dodgy, but FFS they know how to shred an audience.

Comment

Lots of Public Enemy and a fair amount of Testament.

Comment

Loveless every few days since that damn shoegazing thread. Even bought the remastered 2cd edition this weekend, cos I'm a total sap, like. Was only 7 quid in Fopp I tell myself, I can quit the tremolo anytime I want...

Comment

I'm listening to Mike Dred mixtapes (acid house-electro etc), probably from the early '90s. Still sounds utterly wonderful, such a great strand of music. I have loads of these beauties.

Comment

A lot of Radio 4, and when I get bored of that, The Strange Idols Pattern And Other Short Stories by Felt.

Maurice Deebank really was a bit special on the guitar, wasn't he? I mean, I love Lawrence as much as the next Felt fan, but you really have to be playing some of the most intricate, beautiful and just plain tuneful guitar to make songs sung by Lawrence sound any different to the last one. I guess Deebank is doing nothing related to music these days, huge shame.
                            Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 10-10-2017, 20:07.

Comment

Oh, The Splendour Of Fear is a really fine album, definitely their best that I've heard. Some of the guitar is Durutti Column-like. 'A Preacher In New England' is my favourite of theirs.

Comment

Moondog & The London Saxophonic - Sax Pax For A Sax

Moondog's music is so bright and clean, it is good listening when you are a bit mussed.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                  Oh, The Splendour Of Fear is a really fine album, definitely their best that I've heard. Some of the guitar is Durutti Column-like. 'A Preacher In New England' is my favourite of theirs.
                                  I tried and tried with that album and it bored me rigid every time. Maybe I should give it another go - still have the cassette somewhere and it's probably 20 years since I last listened to it. 'Forever Breathes the Lonely Word' was a more than adequate indie-pop effort, though.

Comment

^ that is lovely, am listening to it now at work.

Comment

It's not even two o'clock and I've heard "Hope Of Deliverance" twice - twice! - on the radio today. Where's fucking "Last Christmas" when you need it?

Comment

From an internet search for the worst cover versions of songs I have today discovered the genius that is Mrs Miller.

Elva Ruby Miller (née Connes; October 5, 1907 – July 5, 1997), who recorded under the name "Mrs. Miller," was an American singer who gained some fame in the 1960s for her series of shrill and off-key renditions of popular songs such as "Moon River", "Monday, Monday", "A Lover's Concerto", and "Downtown". Singing in an untrained, Mermanesque, vibrato-laden style, according to Irving Wallace, David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace in The Book of Lists 2, Miller's voice was compared to the sound of "roaches scurrying across a trash can lid."

Sounds to me like she's laughing along in parts of some of her songs. Whatever, she made a living from her singing. The world needs more people like Mrs Miller.

Comment

Or in this case watching

I've always preferred Marianne doing this to Lennon — though I do believe if it's not his best song it's close to it, certainly my favourite post-Fabs effort — and this, which I've just come across, knocks spots of the one on Broken English.

Comment

Watching for me too, I must have played this four or five times a day since it was broadcast last weekend :

Comment

Some music I've listened to and enjoyed this year. Haven't watched videos all the way through so no idea if any are NSFW.

In no particular order.

Ghostpoet - Many Moods at Midnight
                                              Monster Rally - Giant Leaves
                                              Pye Corner Audio - Resist
                                              Serpent Power - Colour Out of Space
                                              Micah P Hinson - I Sleep Tonight
                                              Suuns - Watch You, Watch Me
                                              Roll The Dice - Buried (Pär Grindvik Edit)
                                              HOLY - All These Worlds Are Yours
                                              Efrim Manuel Menuck - Pissing Stars
                                              Rafael Anton Irisarri - Oh Paris, We Are Fucked
                                              Odd Couple - Westend
                                              Milk Disco - Welcome to the Milk Disco
                                              Father John Misty - Mr Tillman
                                              Orielles - Sunflower Seeds
                                              Momus - Marquis of Sadness (an old one, this)
                                              TVAM - Psychic Data

I especially like the Micah P Hinson and HOLY tracks. The Father John Misty song is growing on me.

Also enjoyed the recent MGMT (One Thing Left To Try) and Beach House (Dive, Lemon Glow).

Full list: https://open.spotify.com/user/crisio...NyCRyD5cBZqltG

Comment

Originally posted by wiblflibl View Post
                                                From an internet search for the worst cover versions of songs I have today discovered the genius that is Mrs Miller.
                                                I always got Mrs Miller mixed up with 1970s joanna-basher Mrs Mills.

Comment

Star Treatment off the new Arctic Monkeys album - nonsensical lyrics, but one of my favourite tracks of the year so far.

Comment

I've finally got around to listening to A Certain Ratio's The Graveyard and the Ballroom live LP from 1980, which I think was a cassette-only release at the time. They made proper indie-music back then, you know - surprisingly good quality, and a muscular sound that was missing sometimes from their studio recordings.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X