Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Current Listening

Mostly Loudon Wainwright. As I said on the singer songwriter thread the other week, I was really looking forward to his new album as it contained covers of his own songs from his first two albums.

And damn do I love those first two albums. It took a while to get used to the older Loudon singing a younger Loudon's songs. Very weird, the youthful angst and passion wasn't there in his singing at all. But after a while I just fell in love with the songs all over again. Luckily there are no radical departures from the originals, he might make a song a little more bluesy here or countrified there but nothing to get the fans up in arms.

And I've also been listening to his 1999, Social Studies. Unusually for him, it's an album of topical and political songs. It was really a compilation of all the songs he'd recorded for NPR throughout the 90s. So you get a microcosm of 90s America on one album. There are songs about OJ, Jessee Helms, Bill Clinton etc The best song on the album is about Tonya Harding - Tonya's Twirls:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2p2nFwpRh6Q

Biscuit
    Salford, mate

Current Listening

James McMurtry - 'Where'd You Hide The Body?'

Current Listening

Saw Ladytron on Monday night so been listening to Velocifero again since.

And it makes a lot more sense now - I'd previously given it a couple of spins thought "oh fuck, what have they done?", found it a completely indecipherable mess and gone back to 604 and Light and Magic but I'm really warming to it now.

Current Listening

I am utterly and completely obsessed by Philip Glass' Solo Piano. Haunted by it. It's so perfect.

Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)
    The Chest X-Ray Song by Nellie Lutcher.

Nellie was an R&B singer from the 1940s-50s. She had a long and relatively successful career and lived to be 94. In later life she was on the board of the Los Angeles Musicians' Union. This jolly little ditty is about a subject that wasn't inconsequential back in the day, especially if you were black with no medical insurance. (Sorry I can't find a link)

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    The Chest X-Ray Song by Nellie Lutcher.

Nellie was an R&B singer from the 1940s-50s. She had a long and relatively successful career and lived to be 94. In later life she was on the board of the Los Angeles Musicians' Union. This jolly little ditty is about a subject that wasn't inconsequential back in the day, especially if you were black with no medical insurance. (Sorry I can't find a link)
    Literally right now? Japandroids. I really like them. They're the band I would start if I could start a band.

Oh, now that's over and the Cure has come on.

Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Yeah literally right now.

When I'm Gone — Mary Wells.

"Mellow Waves", the new Cornelius album, is really good. The opening track on it is quite stunning. It builds and builds, and the combination of production and composition is sublime. One of the other tracks is a glorious rip off of Prefab Sprout's "Appetite". This is a lovely album!

I've just been watching the Muse set from Reading and I don't know how I could have got through that watching it live without my brain exploding. The music itself might be dodgy, but FFS they know how to shred an audience.

A decidedly non-cavalier attitude towards timekeeping
    Teams
    Liverpool FC
    Biscuit
    Anything with cheese
    Actor
    Joe 90
    Lots of Public Enemy and a fair amount of Testament.

They rode over peasants like you
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Loveless every few days since that damn shoegazing thread. Even bought the remastered 2cd edition this weekend, cos I'm a total sap, like. Was only 7 quid in Fopp I tell myself, I can quit the tremolo anytime I want...

A lovely sense of entropy here
    Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Samoyed
    Actor
    Katharine Hepburn
    I'm listening to Mike Dred mixtapes (acid house-electro etc), probably from the early '90s. Still sounds utterly wonderful, such a great strand of music. I have loads of these beauties.

Biscuit
    Prestonia
    A lot of Radio 4, and when I get bored of that, The Strange Idols Pattern And Other Short Stories by Felt.

Maurice Deebank really was a bit special on the guitar, wasn't he? I mean, I love Lawrence as much as the next Felt fan, but you really have to be playing some of the most intricate, beautiful and just plain tuneful guitar to make songs sung by Lawrence sound any different to the last one. I guess Deebank is doing nothing related to music these days, huge shame.
    Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 10-10-2017 at 21:07.

Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Samoyed
    Actor
    Katharine Hepburn
    Oh, The Splendour Of Fear is a really fine album, definitely their best that I've heard. Some of the guitar is Durutti Column-like. 'A Preacher In New England' is my favourite of theirs.

Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Samoyed
    Actor
    Katharine Hepburn
    Moondog & The London Saxophonic - Sax Pax For A Sax

Moondog's music is so bright and clean, it is good listening when you are a bit mussed.

Teams
    The Mighty Imps of Lindum
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits
    Quote Originally Posted by delicatemoth View Post
    Oh, The Splendour Of Fear is a really fine album, definitely their best that I've heard. Some of the guitar is Durutti Column-like. 'A Preacher In New England' is my favourite of theirs.
    I tried and tried with that album and it bored me rigid every time. Maybe I should give it another go - still have the cassette somewhere and it's probably 20 years since I last listened to it. 'Forever Breathes the Lonely Word' was a more than adequate indie-pop effort, though.

^ that is lovely, am listening to it now at work.

It's not even two o'clock and I've heard "Hope Of Deliverance" twice - twice! - on the radio today. Where's fucking "Last Christmas" when you need it?

Meh
    Teams
    Horsham FC
    Biscuit
    Dark chocolate digestive
    From an internet search for the worst cover versions of songs I have today discovered the genius that is Mrs Miller.

Elva Ruby Miller (née Connes; October 5, 1907 – July 5, 1997), who recorded under the name "Mrs. Miller," was an American singer who gained some fame in the 1960s for her series of shrill and off-key renditions of popular songs such as "Moon River", "Monday, Monday", "A Lover's Concerto", and "Downtown". Singing in an untrained, Mermanesque, vibrato-laden style, according to Irving Wallace, David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace in The Book of Lists 2, Miller's voice was compared to the sound of "roaches scurrying across a trash can lid."

Sounds to me like she's laughing along in parts of some of her songs. Whatever, she made a living from her singing. The world needs more people like Mrs Miller.

Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Or in this case watching

I've always preferred Marianne doing this to Lennon — though I do believe if it's not his best song it's close to it, certainly my favourite post-Fabs effort — and this, which I've just come across, knocks spots of the one on Broken English.

I have every comfort and every sport
    Teams
    The Welsh in anything and Wimbledon
    Biscuit
    Dark (NOT MILK) Chocolate Digestive.
    Actor
    Brendan Gleeson
    Watching for me too, I must have played this four or five times a day since it was broadcast last weekend :