Current Listening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Listening

something I didnt expect to come on the radio (local shit): Asylums in Jerusalem. fuck me backwards etc. I dont know if its just me, but it sounds better today, 20+ years later.

Comment

Current Listening

To my distress, FH's recent Sally Shapiro thread didn't really take off, so I'll re-plonk this down before the OTF masses. Blissful Italo-disco-influenced pop from Sweden, it is. And as I'm absolutely loving Sally at the moment, I'll care and share an ecstatically brilliant track from her Disco Romance album: He Keeps Me Alive is here.

Her producer is a bloke called Johan Agebjorn, with whom she's done a superb podcast mix that includes the likes of Mylene Farmer, Sophie Rimheden and Cloetta Paris. It's called Sackaros and can be downloaded from the bottom of the page, here.

Comment

Current Listening

Cheers Furtho. Which Cloetta songs are on the mix?

Here's "I miss you someone" from her:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/1698803121d014e9/

Comment

Current Listening

I'm listening to me.

I recently treated myself to a little handheld digital recorder, and I tried it out at a barn dance I played on Sunday evening at a wedding near Wantage as part of a trio - melodeon, fiddle and me on guitar.

Here's a sample: the 48-bar jig Morgan Rattler. It's really pretty rough, but I'm rather pleased at the way the energy comes across.

Comment

Current Listening

Thanks Andy, enjoyed that.

Also it's made me get very excited about the upcoming Towersey Folk festival this coming Bank Holiday.

I'm currently listening to CSS's new album, Donkey. Not my usual cup of tea but as I was in Sao Paulo last week I thought I'd better get the album. Some good tunes. Not a great review I'll admit, here's how the professionals do it: http://www.thequietus.com/articles/c...track-by-track

Comment

Current Listening

Cheers, Jon. Tragically I've been singled out for redecorating duty over this year's bank holiday, but I have high hopes of doing the Towersey thing in '09.

Comment

Current Listening

Seriously groovy, Andy. It goes straight in my shuffle.

Comment

Current Listening

Linus - the Cloetta Paris track on that mix is indeed I Miss You Someone, easily the best of the (um, five) tracks of hers that I've heard. Hope you enjoy Sally Shapiro.

Comment

Current Listening

Another dollop of praise for Andy, great recording, I really enjoyed it and has gone into my MP3 collection too.

I've been listening to The Kinks a lot lately, a band I'd never really got into except for the really obvious stuff which is generally unavoidable. I didn't even know they wrote "David Watts", such was my ignorance of the band. I find it incredible that for a period of about 6 years, between 1965 and 1971, they released 7 utterly faultless albums, not a single bad song, bad note nor bad line in any of them. They approach so many styles and adapt them effortlessly, garage rock, skiffle, folk, bossa nova, cockney sing-a-longs, psychedelia and straight up pop. I just can't begin to imagine what it must've been like to be Ray Davis during this period, soaking up everything around him and churning out an amazing body of work at such an incredible rate, it's simply awe-inspiring.

It's a bit embarrassing to have lived with my head in the sand for so long but it's great to be hit for six by a band you'd never fully appreciated before (suppose I've got the internet to thank for this too). Great f*cking band, the only negative point I can give them is that their brilliant music inspired sh1te like Pete Doherty.

Comment

Current Listening

Yeah, the Kinks are great. And massively underrated.

Tragically I've been singled out for redecorating duty over this year's bank holiday, but I have high hopes of doing the Towersey thing in '09.

That's a shame. I tend to go to a different folk festival every summer, so I doubt I'll be around for it next year.

Have now moved onto the last album by Alicia Keys, whom I adore. Much more my cup of tea than that CSS album.

Comment

Current Listening

the Kinks are great. And massively underrated.

The Kinks are massively under-rated?

Comment

Current Listening

They seem to escape the plaudits The Beatles, Who and Stones receive. I'd always previously assumed they were nestled somewhere near The Animals in terms of artistic greatness amongst the original British Invaders. Britpop raised their profile somewhat but I'd always grown up thinking they were just "You really got me", "Sunny Afternoon" and "waterloo Sunset". How come songs like "Lazy Old Sun", "Australia", "Sitting by the Riverside" and "Monica" weren't there too? (I could add loads of others but these 4 are probably my personal favourites at the moment)

Like I said, maybe my head has been firmly buried in the sand for the past few decades of my musical discovery but it seems like The Kinks were up amongst the best. They weren't just a band that sand about Englishness, which is what they're mostly portrayed to be.

Comment

Current Listening

They are usually rated a notch below the Beatles or Stones, but also one above Kaleidoscope, the Zombies, Marmalade and a number of other very brilliant contemporaries.

Comment

Current Listening

The Kinks always make me think of Frank Sidebottom, to be honest.

Comment

Current Listening

Just lately...

Héctor Lavoe: Comedia a magnificent, magnificent album. The first track, El Cantante, is one of the few songs that, when I'm in a salsa club and it comes on, I'm not sure whether to keep dancing, or to just stop and listen. It's also the favourite song of an absolutely gorgeous Spanish girl who seems to fancy me a bit (and who got a brief mention in the Copa Libertadores thread on Football, and has recently appeared in my life again after a couple of months away)...

James Brown: Hell My word, Coldblooded is a filthy song. So is Hell. And Sayin' It And Doin' It... wow.

Frank Zappa: Hot Rats It's been a while since I listened to any Zappa so I stuck this on last night. I'd forgotten how good it is to the extent that it actually seemed like I'd never heard the album before. The Gumbo Variations is about as good as anything Zappa did. Superb.

And right this second, I'm going through a first listen of an 'Essential Collection' 2CD set of Northern Soul, which is fucking brilliant.

Comment

Current Listening

That Essential collection sounds like a great care&share candidate there, Sam...

Comment

Current Listening

Victoria - Tenebrae Responsories (Tallis Scholars)
                                    Ryan Adams - Love is Hell
                                    Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs
                                    Anonymous 4 - Love's Illusion
                                    Talk Talk - Colour of Spring (long time no hear...what a great record!)

Comment

Current Listening

linus wrote:
                                      That Essential collection sounds like a great care&share candidate there, Sam...
                                      I've managed to actually get it onto my hard drive today (my computer wasn't playing ball with filling in track title and artists a few days ago, and I was buggered if I was typing it all up myself at 2am), so when I've gone through it all properly I shall see what I can do.

Comment

Current Listening

Cheers Sam, no hurry. I reckon that one will be a very popular download here.

Comment

Current Listening

Got a bunch of stuff I'm enjoying at the moment, pick of the bunch is Cities of Glass by AIDS Wolf. Can't really form a solid opinion about the name, it definitely grabs your attention and it's a bugger to ask for at the record shop if the guy's never heard of them but overall it's a bit wank. However, the album is great, Beefheart inspired hardcore spazz-rock from Montreal, every track's is about 2 and a half minutes long and choca-ful of ideas and, most importantly, they rock.

Also bought the Soul Jazz compilation Ragga Twins Step Out by the Ragga Twins, some of the stuff stands the test of time and then some whilst there are a few tracks like "The Homeless Problem" which sound dated to buggery.

Couple of albums I'm dipping into are the Gang Gang Dance album "Saint Dympha" and "Rediscovers the Rings of Saturn" by X-102.

I'm finding the Gang Gang Dance album quite bland, their last albums were very hit and miss with the good stuff really standing out above the experimental ramblings that would take up a good part of their work. With this album the experimental ramblings are gone and for some reason a lot of what made them exciting has gone with it. On top of that, the singer is now a bit more understandable and her lyrics are fairly mundane offerings. On the whole it's left me a bit underwhelmed.

The X-102 album is going to take some time, on first listening it was all just a bit too vast and epic. I've now listened to it about 4 or 5 times and it's growing on me more and more. I'm really not into this Jeff Mills with an orchestra stuff but with Mad Mike Banks alongside him you get the impression his feet are more firmly on the ground. The mixture between ambient soundscapes and thumping techno seems just right, I reckon this could be one of my favourite albums of the year given time.

It took a while, but this is starting to be a really good year for music. imo.

Comment

Current Listening

Aids Wolf is one of the better local bands in Montreal. I know one of the members quite well (he worked at the radio station). They will be touring very soon, not sure if it's just North America.

Incidently, that same guy got me into Mark Tucker's "In the Sack". Very obscure reissue of a lost album which has been making the rounds at the station. It's post-psych American pop from an excentric guy who's managed to record some pretty good, quite original and very accessible music between nervous breakdowns, I think many of you will like it. It's from 1982, but sounds a lot earlier.

http://www.amazon.com/In-the-Sack/dp/B001F3G2BW/ref=dm_ap_alb1

Three of the best songs off this album are streamed in this CKUT radio program, starting at the 16th min (after a long intro to the album):

http://secure.ckut.ca/64/mp3.20080917.13.00-14.00.m3u

I actually did that show the week before http://secure.ckut.ca/64/mp3.20080917.12.00-14.00.m3u
                                            pasting the playlist below:
                                            (09:35) Start
                                            CA Quintet - Underground Music (a cut off one of the best American psych pop albums ever 9:30)
                                            Apryl Fool - The lost mother land (great bit of Japanese psychedilia 14:28)
                                            Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia (20:45)
                                            Cold Sun - Ra-Ma (27:00) Jello Biafra's favorite psych album of all time
                                            13th floor elevators - the rose and the thorn(37:30) great cut off their last album
                                            Morka - Disassociation (41:00) nice short one from the anglo-greek psychedelic group
                                            United States of America - garden of Earthly Delights (43:00) classic mooged out proto-prog
                                            Arzachel - garden of earthly delights (45:45) superb bits of Farfisa organ
                                            Arthur - le fermier psychedelique (novelty piece)
                                            Lonnie Irving - Pinball Machine bluegrass icon from Arkansas
                                            Die Moulinettes - flipper queen Quality retro synth twee pop from Munich
                                            La guepe - Slag
                                            Francois de Roubaix - Piti pit pa (1:02:00) off a soundtrack of a Louis de Funes comedy
                                            Krysztof Komeda - Fearless Vampire Killers OST
                                            Valerie and her week of wonders OST (1:07:00)
                                            Phluph - Doctor Mind (1:10:00) one of the lighter numbers from this obscure late 60s Boston outfit
                                            Wendy Carlos - Orange Menuet (1:11:30) great cut off the Clockwork Orange OST
                                            Valvola (1:14:00) my favorite recent Italian pop act, superb bit
                                            Broadcast - we've got time (1:16:00) one of countless fantastic songs from this group, this one fit really nicely with the above
                                            Metric - Police and the Private (this is the best song from this Ontario group)
                                            Pram - Shadows
                                            Brigitte Fontaine - Le noir c'est mieux choisi (a nice one from this cult french figure)
                                            Stereolab - Cap'n Easychord (I always try to play the 'Lab along with Pram and Broadcast, they all lived together at one point)
                                            Electric flag - Peter's trip (1:37:00) off The Trip OST
                                            Delia Derbyshire - Dr Who theme (1:40:30)
                                            Ladytron - Light and Magic (this one sounds a lot like the Dr Who theme)
                                            Deux - decadence (1:47:20) early 80s rare French synth
                                            Les Sultans - Pour qui pourquoi (1:52:30) Quebec vintage pop
                                            Orange Alabaster Mushroom - Orange Alabaster Mushroom (1:54:30) recent one-man band act from Ottawa doing an amazingly accurate reproduction of the mid-60s acid pop sound

Comment

Current Listening

Round my place the most frequent replays at the moment are of:

Harps and Angels, Randy Newman's latest. Lucky there's a man who positivly can do all the things that make us laugh and cry. And think and sing along.

That Lucky Old Sun by Brian Wilson - well, you know, I'm predisposed to like this but it's really terrific - a set of interconnected songs and readings loosely based around aspects of Southern California. It's both immediate and cerebral, and once again you just have to marvel at that band that Wilson has surrounding him these days.

Song for Armel, a compliation of works by the Breton jazz pianist Didier Squiban. Lovely, lucid playing.

Comment

Current Listening

Etienne de Crecy's Tempovision. Kompact Total 9 and Okie Dokie It's The Orb on Kompakt.

LL - Have got the Harmonia. Cheers. Will listen to it tomorrow.

Comment

Current Listening

Dear Science, TV On The Radio - really good. Seems a bit more accessible (or at has least simpler, catchier tunes) than the last album.

Lightbulbs, Fujiya & Miyagi - the songs are a little more varied than Transparent Things, but fundamentally the same hypnotic style (then again you're not buying an eclectic range of influences with this lot). "Knickerbocker" is the best of the bunch.

Comment

Current Listening

...oh and The Residents: George & James.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X