Current Listening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Listening

Pan Tau, 'Asking For Flowers' is definitely a grower, give it at least three or four more spins. Did you get the new Tift Meritt? Same with hers.

There's a Weepies track on the new Paste compilation, but I haven't listened to it yet. Too busy with Conway Twitty. And I really ought to stop buying new CDs for a while.

Comment

Current Listening

IBM 1401, Johann Johannson. It's so beautiful and so sad.

Comment

Current Listening

Oh, I certainly won't give up on Kathleen yet, imp.

I've bigged up the Tift Merritt album elsewhere, with sample tracks. It didn't even need to grow, I loved it immediately.

And do give the Weepies a chance. There are a few songs on my blog, if you want to sample some.

Comment

Current Listening

I'm a hopeless traditionalist in that sense - I still like to pay for music, unless it's being offered by the band for free, or unless the artiste is already dead/ridiculously wealthy.

Comment

Current Listening

This week, I have been mostly listening to

-Janis Joplin
            -Malcolm Middleton
            -MGMT
            -Spank Rock

Comment

Current Listening

The idea, imp, is to sample music you have not heard before, and then buy it if you like it. You have broadband now, you might as well discover more music to add to all the stuff you'll never have a chance to listen to.

BTW, I just played Kathleen Edwards' album, as per your command. There is much to like, and my initial doubts are based on that "Oh, Canada" track, which has not clicked with me (yet) and the last track, which is nice but does go on a bit.

Comment

Current Listening

Today I've been listening to White Denim's 'Let's Talk About It' EP to see what all the fuss is about this lot, not sure I get it.

Been listening as well to another wacky Canadian band called Sunset Rubdown, Taken By Trees' 'Open Field' album from last year and the debut Ruby Suns album from 2006.

Recent releases piling up to listen include Portishead, Boris, Bella, Yoav, Tindersticks, Tall Firs, Kelley Polar, Ladyhawk and Creature With The Atom Brain.

Comment

Current Listening

Too many Canadian bands are wacky.

Comment

Current Listening

Charlie Parker and lots of tango, especially Carlos di Sarli.

Comment

Current Listening

I've no objection at all to people downloading free music. I just don't like to myself unless the band says I can. Magazines give away enough free samplers nowadays to hear new stuff (and the Weepies track on your site, PT, is the same as the one on this month's Paste disc. Oh, and what's with 'Pan Tau', how the hell are we supposed to get used to that after a decade of G-Man?).

Meanwhile, in other current listening affairs, anybody else like The Everybodyfields?

Comment

Current Listening

"Good Bad Not Evil" by The Black Lips is on constant rotation. It irritated me at first because of its blatant rips from the various Nuggets and Pebbles compilations but they definitely are on to something. I find myself unconsciously singing "What do you tell a child when someone has died?" all the time, it's a brilliant song.

Today I'm listening to a promo CD of Angolan and Cabo Verdean bands that come from the bairros of Lisbon. A lot of it is awful, but there's one track on it which is just dynamite, by Os N'Gapas, which I'm going to try and care and share if I get time.

Comment

Current Listening

Have the Pebbles compilations been reissued? People used to talk about them biblically in the 80s when you couldn't actually buy them. And are they as soaked in semen as the hush-voiced hipsters would claim?

Comment

Current Listening

The last year or two, I haven't been very enamored with new music, at least nearly as much as I have been with discoveries of older music. I've been mostly exploring older pop music, particularly psych from the late 60s, having found that there were so many lost albums and bands that rival or exceed the most popular acts of the time, bands that released only a few hundred albums.

Many were from in and around San Francisco, like The Music Emporium, but absolute brilliance in that period came in droves from an incredibly wide geographical array, from Chile to Turkey to Indonesia.

One of my current favorites is the Music Emporium album, of which only a couple of hundred copies were originallly released

this whole album is outstanding, check out "Cage" (preferably more than once) on their myspace (they have 18 friends, many of those relatives and real friends I would guess)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=115 786377

A similar album and group is "Armageddon" by The Maze (also from California, 1968). A little more typical of the SF acid ballrooom sound with heavy organs, minor keys, fuzz guitar.

Comment

Current Listening

My Pebbles albums were illegally downloaded from the internet but I'm fairly sure they've been reissued as there's a record shop around the corner from me selling them for €16 each on vinyl.

Comment

Current Listening

Well, sorry, imp. You'll just have to get used to the new, cuddly me.

I won't let you off the Weepies hook. Here's a link for a totally legal, Weepies-approved and outstanding quality concert recording (in fact, I listen to it more often than their studio albums).

Weepies live in Ohio, 2004

And if you like, that you'll like this also very legal, very approved 4-track recording by Deb Talan, who is half of the Weepies.

Deb Talan live at WERS studios

Of course, it'll be embarrassing if you decide they're crap.

Comment

Current Listening

I have to say that some of my favourite albums of recent yeras have been 'Paste' sampler cd's.

Comment

Current Listening

The MGMT one, the Los Campesinos one, and thers something else, but I'm drawing a blank.

Comment

Current Listening

honestly?
                                      sigue sigue sputnik.
                                      and totally loving it.

Comment

Current Listening

Fleet Foxes 'ST' Bella Union

One for the Panda Bear fans or Brian Wilson fans perhaps. Just the ticket for the weather turning good.

Comment

Current Listening

Brahms' string sextets, a lot, recently, and a film has just made me have to go out so I can listen to Mozart's violin concerto no 3 on the ipod.

Comment

Current Listening

I really like the new Long Blondes record and I'm a bit surprised by the fairly muted reaction to its release. I think the colder, electro sound suits them a good deal and fair play to them for trying something different rather than a refined version of the first album.

Comment

Current Listening

I listened to the new Shortwave Set album on the way to work today and really liked it on first listen. I might start a new thread about it after another couple of spins.

Comment

Current Listening

Oh is there a new one? Fantastic. I LOVED the Debt Collection.

Comment

Current Listening

Yeah, it's out at the beginning of May, I think. I hadn't heard anything by them until this morning but if their earlier stuff is as good as this I'll definitely be checking it out.

Comment

Current Listening

I had Steely Dan (deezer random section ) on last night to clean the cat boxes by. I hadn't listened to them for ages, so it was all really fresh: Do it Again (kickass intro!), Reeling in the Years (even kickasser intro!), Barrytown, etc.

Cleaning the cat boxes almost became a pleasurable experience. Almost.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X