Current Listening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Listening

Let's see if there is an audience for this. Tell us about stuff you're listening to a lot at the minute, and new stuff you like, and so on, etc.

My latest thing is the new Stephen Malkmus album, and I keep meaning to get round to getting the new Sun Kil Moon.

Current Listening

Steven Malkmus also.

The Fall 'Imperial Wax Solvent' I'm rapidly becoming convinced that this is the best thing they've done since the 80s.

UFOmammut 'Idolatum' sumptuously heavy doom like the bow shock of Jupiter passing overhead.

Neon Neon 'Stainless Style' Gruff Rhys and Boom Bip's 80s themed disco, electro soul album.

Hercules and Love Affair 'ST' Just one of the best dance records for ages.

OMD 'Dazzle Ships' reissue. As good as ever.

Comment

Current Listening

Downloaded the new Malkmus, but haven't listened to it yet.

Orlando Julius Super Afro Soul

and because he's doing the album live in LA soon (not that you need a reason to listen to it) Genius/GZA Liquid Swords

Comment

Current Listening

Kimya Dawson (of Moldy Peaches) is on regular rotation right now.

And still Laura Veirs' Saltbreaker album.

Comment

Current Listening

I've spent today listening to loads of old Arthur Russell disco stuff. Incredible, incredible records that splice the fiercest, funkiest disco backing with unfathomably weird vocals, melodies and arrangements.

Also, the Carl Craig retrospective, Sessions, and some classics omitted from it. Some of his early tracks, as BFC (he's a bit pseudonym-happy, Carl Craig), sound like watercolours next to the abstract blocks his techno peers were working with; and 1994's 'At Les' has a similar feel to Burial's more emotive moments.

Comment

Current Listening

Fuck Buttons and Townes van Zandt

Comment

Current Listening

Not a big fan of "Current listening/reading/watching" threads because they tend to swallow up posts that would otherwise have had their own threads and would have generated interesting individual discussions. Whereas these threads are just lists.

But seeing as you asked, the LCD Soundsystem Fabriclive compilation and Richard Evans' eponymous album from 1979. Evans was a supremely gifted producer/arranger who did a lot of work with funk and soul acts in the 1970s like Marlena Shaw and Dorothy Ashby. The album's great.

Comment

Current Listening

Brilliant! Another "Current listening/reading/watching" thread! I love these!

OK right well the best way to guage my current listening is to see what's on my MP3 player. It's a pokey little 1GB model so I have to freshen it up with a load of new albums each week, 'cause after a few days I've inveriably become bored with half of what's on it.

I like to keep it to a round dozen albums, regardless of how much of the memory they take up. And to be honest, I was a bit worried that the current crop was a bit maudlin. There's the third Portishead album, Unknown Pleasures, Metal Box, the remixes of various tracks from Thom Yorke's solo effort and PJ Harvey's 'White Chalk', none of which are exactly good time pardee LP's. Balancing that out a little is the exquisite new Kelley Polar album (ethereal disco-flecked waft) and These New Puritans' debut. Then there's the Fuck Buttons album everyone's going on about, which I find difficult to listen to without bursting into tears, Stainless Style (good fun in a vacuous kind of way) and some psyche-folk courtesy of The Owl Service. Oh yes, and the new Nick Cave one.

Comment

Current Listening

Bosch, if you think there is a fruitful discussion to be had out of something mentioned in these threads, there is no force in the world strong enough to prevent you from starting a thread on the subject.

Comment

Current Listening

Yeah. The reason I started the thead is because probably 95 times out of 100 I'm, not going to think that the fact I'm reading X or have seen film Y is worth any form of thread on its own; how many individual book/film threads of that type ever generate more than 2 'Oh yeah I liked it too' posts.

The point of this sort of thing is just to note down things that might interest other people. if there is something that people wish to discuss further, they will.

personally I think that people discuss *more* music and books and so on like this, exactly because they know that starting a thread for each individual thing will mean 400 threads with two responses. I also think people are more likely to recommend stuff/discuss tangential things on the basis that it's not off topic to do so.

I totally see that you want threads for in-depth discussion of subjects that interest you. To me though it seems that wider topics have more scope for interesting threads etc.

Comment

Current Listening

Have a fight.

Comment

Current Listening

That's a good enough explanation for me, Lyra. And, although I rarely contribute to it, the Current Reading thread is always one of my favourites.

However, one small favour - could you possibly make 2 seperate threads in the Film and TV section - ie 'Current Watching - TV', and 'Current Watching - Film.' Lumping them both together makes it all rather unwieldy.

Comment

Current Listening

I like threads like these, and it was always a puzzle to me why the old board never had one. When another forum I frequent moved to a new host the greatest sadness was that the 5 year, 6000 post 'What Are You Listening To Now?' thread would be brought to an end. I used to love perusing it whenever I wanted a recommendation for an album to check out.

I'm listening to 'For Your Pleasure' by Roxy Music. I always know this is a great album, but when I listen to it I remember it's a really great album. One of my favourites, for sure.

Comment

Current Listening

At this very moment I am listening to When in Heaven by The Kitchens of Distinction. That's probably one of best band names ever, too.

Yesterday I was listening to this on repeat.

Comment

Current Listening

I like threads like these, and it was always a puzzle to me why the old board never had one.
                              But it did, intermittently. I know I started a couple of them (usually called something like "On Rotation").

Comment

Current Listening

Today I've been listening to the new Nick Cave album, Leonard Cohen's 'I'm Your Man' and a couple of old Jayhawks albums.

Comment

Current Listening

I'm still trying to get my head around Trisector, the new Van Der Graaf Generator album. It's growing on me, but slowly.

Meanwhile, the current CDs I've got on my car CD changer are Peter Hammill's Nadir's Big Chance, VDG's An Introduction, It's Great When You're Straight by Black Grape, something by Sheep on Drugs, and a couple of others that I can't remember (I think Otway & Barrett might be on there, and possibly another Van Der Graaf album).

Comment

Current Listening

I filled my bags in Nashville with The Louvin Brothers, Little Jimmy Dickens, Red Foley, Loretta Lynn, Lefty Frizell and Merle Haggard - all brilliant, all driving frau imp crazy because she hates anything remotely country-related. And I haven't even unwrapped the Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys boxed set yet.

Among new releases, I'm besotted with two Canadian singers - Kathleen Edwards' Asking For Flowers and Basia Bulat's Oh, My Darling.

Comment

Current Listening

The new album by 'The Copyrights'. A lot. And wondering if it's wrong to think that 'She Turns It Up' is as good as anything 'The Ramones' ever wrote.

Also the first 'Torche' album, in anticipation of the new one coming out in April. Pop-doom-metal sounds like a very bad idea, but somehow they make it work brilliantly

Comment

Current Listening

honestly, i'm struggling with the current pile.
                                        however, the best thing of the day has to be fed-ex to munchen ep by radioactiveman from 2003
                                        i have the new radioactiveman album, growl to check out, but a quick dive in didn't reveal anything as brilliant as that gorgeous slice of late night electro pop.

Comment

Current Listening

You picked up a good bunch there, Imp. Right now I'm playing the Staples Singers.

Comment

Current Listening

Among new releases, I'm besotted with two Canadian singers - Kathleen Edwards' Asking For Flowers
                                            I like Kathleen Edwards, but her new album does it only partly for me. Half of it is quite lovely, but the rest... maybe I must give it more than the two full listens I have given it.

imp, you ought to check out the Weepies. New album comes out on April 22.

Comment

Current Listening

I have been listening to Super Roots 9 in preparation for tonight.

I also listened to someone telling me that Pavement are working on material together again.

Comment

Current Listening

John Coltranes "My Favourite Things" album at home.
                                                Cowboy Junkies "Caution Horses" album at work.
                                                Trashcan Sinatras "Cake" album while driving.

The Trashcan Sinatras "Odscurity Knocks" song is one of my all time favourites....the rest are so-so.

Comment

Current Listening

Impressed with the new Silver Jews album on first listen.

My first thoughts on the new Stephen Malkmus album were that there were too many long songs and that the title track sounded like Status Quo. It's a grower though – it really clicked listening to it in the car this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X