• Show
Clear All

Current Listening

Tower of Power - 'The Warner Years'
    Brass Construction
    James McMurtry

Comment

Current Listening

I'm listening to and loving the live bonus CD that accompanied the Best Of compilation from the criminally underrated Frank Black.

His solo stuff is really great. At least up until a couple of years ago when he went to Nashville and went all country on us.

Comment

Current Listening

MGMT (lovely - esp. 'Electric Feel')

The New Ladytron one Velocifero (Good but not 'Witching Hour' good)

Both Kooks LPs made into one super album (I do this a lot)

I-Empire "Angels and Airwaves" (Not sure about this one yet)

Breeders "Mountain Battles" (Much better than Title TK which was shite)

Jimmy Eat World "Futures" (Great underrated band)

Raconteurs new one (The first work by that White Stripes guy that hasn't made me want to hitch-hike to his house, knock on his door and punch him in the face)

Baby 81 by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Good solid tunes.

Comment

Current Listening

Hi-Flutin', Herbie Mann.

Mostly individual tracks on random play beyond that - Ladytron, MGMT.

Comment

Current Listening

I've spent today listening to Robert Hood's Fabric mix CD, absolutely bangin' it is. I think I'm going to go for a run tomorrow morning just so I can listen to it on my MP3 player and really go for the burn.

Last night I was wading through a load of Rhys Chatham mp3's I'd downloaded, f*cking ace they are. I'd always been put off him by a terrible smug picture of him with the dancer Karole Armitage in a book I read about performance art, which is a bit silly as he rocks like a mofo.

Comment

Current Listening

What was wrong with my thread??? EH???

Comment

Current Listening

Maybe barndoorio didn't like the title.

Comment

Current Listening

Currently playing in my head:

'Exterminating Angel' by Cabaret Volatire

Comment

Current Listening

Unearthing some compilations from the excellent madrileño Siesta Label (Death By Chocolate etc), pretty appropriate post-Euro08 summer listening. You have to love a label that goes by that name and this motto:

http://www.siesta.es/pags/index.asp

The first compilation from the Sol Y Sombra series is really good sun-drenched lackadasial retro lounge with a castillian lisp, sip it on the terrasse at dusk like a cold Penedes rosé:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/1548640497d3f7ed/

Comment

Current Listening

Linda Perhacs - "Parallelograms"
                      Popol Vuh - "Hosianna Mantra"
                      13th Floor Elevators - "Easter Everywhere"
                      Fela Kuti - "Gentleman"
                      Monkees - various
                      Bruce Palmer - "The Cycle Is Complete"
                      Dom - "Edge Of Time"
                      Pizzicato Five - "Made In USA"
                      Red Crayola - "Parable Of Arable Land"
                      Folk & Pop Sounds Of Sumatra Vol.1

Comment

Current Listening

Gene Clark - "No Other"

Thanks for asking

Comment

Current Listening

The Hold Steady - 'Stay Positive'
                          Puccini - 'La Boheme'
                          BBC Radio - 'The Hobbit'
                          Chris Wood - 'Trespasser'
                          Half Man Half Biscuit - 'Achtung Bono'

The Hobbit is weird. From 1968, it features plenty of strangely-treated voices as goblins, dwarves and the like, as well as peculiar music. Recommended.

Comment

Current Listening

I just didn't know it was there. Sorry.

Comment

Current Listening

That Hobbit bit sounds good, moth.

Taylor (or any other 13th Floors fans), have you read Eye Mind, it looks quite good:

http://processmediainc.com/titles/new_releases/eye_mind.php

Comment

Current Listening

No - but it does indeed look good. That's one band where it would be near-impossible to tell their story and make it boring.

Comment

Current Listening

I just picked up "Laurel Canyon" last week, it looks pretty interesting though I suspect it could be too Rolling Stones Magazine-like.

http://www.laurelcanyonthebook.com

Comment

Current Listening

lots and lots of axiom is the music of choice @ ireallylovemusic hq.
                                    had them stored away and then earlier this week i had the urge, and now i can't stop.
                                    the Tabla Beat Science cd is just fantastic with its extended tabla workouts backed by laswells ambient treatments, as is totally freaky but seriously funked up Ekstasis, but the real deal is that i've fallen totally for Bill Laswell remix of Miles Davis's (not Axiom release) work, an album i just didn't really get when i bought it years ago.

Comment

Current Listening

I just dug out the 7" of Dinosaur Jr's "The Wagon" and played it three times in a row. Surprising how suspicious of its inertia I was at the time (as a 14-year-old Manics/punk fan), looking back. It's glorious.

Comment

Current Listening

linus wrote:
                                        I just picked up "Laurel Canyon" last week, it looks pretty interesting though I suspect it could be too Rolling Stones Magazine-like.

http://www.laurelcanyonthebook.com
                                        Linus I read that recently and thought it was pretty good. In a similar vein you could try Hotel California by Barney Hoskins which I think is slightly better as there more Neil Young and Gene Clark in it

Comment

Current Listening

Gene Clark - "No Other"
                                          What a staggeringly brilliant album that is. I got into it and Suede's Dog Man Star at the same time- I must have been feeling particularly suceptible to cocaine-fuelled, starry-eyed ambition.

I'm listening to something called 'Elvis is Dead' on the radio at the moment with a class full of Year 9s dancing the day away. It's the last day of term!

Comment

Current Listening

There is a nice recap of the album (and a rip of it) here, looking forward to hearing it:

http://c-60lownoise.blogspot.com/2008/04/gene-clark-no-other-1974.html

Thanks for the book tip, Mr Beast.

Comment

Current Listening

Tim Hecker- Radio Amor

Of all the brilliant processed guitar/electronics albums that have come out since the turn of the millennium (Fennesz, Pita, Fenn O'Berg), I reckon this is my favourite. In fact I know it is. I'm not always a particularly synatsthetic listener, but this conjours up images of a lonely city walk at night. The kind of melancholy that makes you feel vitally alive.

Comment

Current Listening

Maybe it was that long thread about Mexican food, but I've been listening to some damn good late 60s Mexican psych-rock: 39.4, Kaleidoscope, Tarro de Mostaza.

And some righteous vintage B-3 powered funk by brother Jack McDuff

http://www.zshare.net/audio/15922279eb5ded75/

Comment

Current Listening

It's a bit quiet over here lately...

I've really been getting into Cold Sun, a pretty unique group that spawned from the Austin (Texas) scene in the late 60s, the same scene that brought the 13th Floor Elevators. They did one album in 1969, Dark Shadows.

The Elevators definitely are an influence, but Cold Sun's sound is pretty unique. It is driven by the interplay between Tom McGarrigle fuzz guitar and founder Bill Miller's Autoharp, a small electric harp that's strummed close to the body. Their sound is at once very mellow and deeply intense. "Wide-eyed psychedelia" is a term some have used to describe them.

The group is held in very high esteem in some circles. The guy from Risingstorm.net (a really good blog, with the coolest looking blog top banner on the web) calls it "a devastating slab of Texas psych and the sickest of lost gems". Jello Biafra is even more effusive: "the best psychedelic album I know of". I think he's not very far off.

There is a really nice long writeup about the band in Lysergia.com if you're intrigued. The bottom link has the album rip.

Austin's Lost Psychedelic Visionaries

http://bilafrah.blogspot.com/2008/02/cold-sun-dark-shadows-1970.html

Comment

Current Listening

Glasvegas

Just

Glasvegas. I wish I had that ...

class

Comment

Working...
                                                    X