DR's Grand National Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruby Walsh's horse, The Midnight Club, looks set to start the favourite for Saturday, ahead of last year's winner, Don't Push It under Tony McCoy. Backstage is another leading fancy, while the best each-way bet is the Irish horse, BecauseICouldn'tSee, ridden by Davy Russell. My tip to win, however, is Oscar Time, ridden by the up-and-coming English amateur jockey, Sam Waley-Cohen.

2 deaths this year, I reckon.

Horses, obviously. Jockeys fatalities are much rarer.

Comment

Ballabriggs and Character Building for me.

I see Siralex has got a horse running. That would be a popular winner at Aintree. "What a Cunt", I think it's called.

Comment

Fergusons horse is the class horse in the field, but it won't win.

Calgary Bay is interesting at 33/1, previously good enough to finish 6th in a Gold Cup but no form over the marathon distance involved here - if it stays (and it's a big 'if'), I wouldn't be surprised to see it placed.

Will have a proper look on Saturday morning - last years winner shattered the trend of how much weight a likely winner could be expected to lump round, so it'll be a harder job to stick a pin in the right one this time.

Comment

May I just say that that was fucking horrible?

Comment

I decided to go with The Midnight Club because it had a female jockey. Then when they finished I discover that Ruby Walsh is a man. What kind of fucked up "Boy named Sue" trip was his dad on?

This must make me the archetypal "once a year" tourist.

Then i felt sick watching the horses going round those fences which had a dead horse on the other side.

Comment

Is there any danger this horror show will ever be axed?

Comment

(if you'll excuse the somewhat Mail-esque phrasing)

Comment

Ballabriggs not only didn't end up as cat food but won me some money. Jolly well done.

Comment

It turns out that the brother of my butcher at home in cahir has come 4th 3rd and 4th in the last three grand nationals. Paul moloney went to the tech I think but PJ went to my school (outstanding butcher by the way)

Looking back at the various results over the previous years and the year 2008 was particularly striking. 13 of the 15 riders who finished the race were Irish. (and that's making the questionable assumption that brian harding is english)

There was even a horse in today's race called big fellow Thanks, that is named after the phrase that charlie haughey uttered to ben Dunne when he gave him a bank draft for £1.3 million 25 years ago.

Comment

If you bet on the Grand National, I hope you've got soap to wash the horseblood from your hands. Probably made from last year's dead horses.

Comment

Fucking barbaric.

Comment

I actually saw tossers dressed as jockeys wandering around pished out of their minds early this morning.

And yeah, fucking stick it.

Comment

It staggers me that this garbage is regarded as a great sporting event. Victoria remains the last bastion of jumps racing in Australia and that is something most people in Melbourne are genuinely embarrassed about but, of course, we are continually told that we "don't understand the countryside" when we say it should be banned.

Comment

Good on the people of Melbourne to at least have the decency to feel embarrassed about it.
                              I think it's a different story over here. People look at you like you're mad when you decline to take part in works' sweeps or whatever, I mean, come on, it's only a bit of fun.

Comment

I hope Janik had a flutter on two deaths, he was spot on.

Comment

I'm not sure that jump racing is in itself particularly dangerous, it's more the surprise extra big drops, the spikes and the lions on the final bend at aintree for the grand national

Comment

An amazing incident at the jumps racing in Warrnambool (western Victoria) today:

Comment

Jesus. I'm not sure amazing quite covers it. I would go with horrendous.

I hope none of the spectators is too seriously injured. Is the horse alright?

Comment

Seven spectators were hospitalised - a few broken bones but nothing too serious. The horse ran through the streets for a few minutes before it was caught but it's ok.

The fence the horse jumped was 8 feet high, a height the course owners had always believed was more than adequate for safety reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                        X