Early contender for album of the year 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Internet magazine nerve.com periodically asks "titans of the mediasphere" to recommend "Five Albums You Should Be Listening To This Week" (by way of getting people write gratis).

Having been asked to do a country/bluegrass/folk edition, I picked five from this year: HERE

Their subs watered down my dig at Adele though...

Comment

@G.Man

Interesting piece, I'll be checking them out.

The link didn't quite work for me though, here's an alternative.

Comment

Love the sound of Edinburgh School for the Deaf and Crumbling Ghost - shall order them forthwith.

I'm really into the Veronic Falls album at the moment. Nothing but the indiest indie-pop, but when it's done this good, it's f*cking irresistable. Obvious reference points are MBV, Pixies and Wedding Present, but the vocal melodies really remind me of The Stone Roses at times. Nice constant nod to Nuggets psychadelia too. A seriously enjoyable album.

Bad Feeling
        Beachy Head

Comment

+1 for Veronica Falls. Proper old-school early '90s indie.

In these economically depressed time, some fun-poppy alt-stuff by The Bandana Splits and Rachel Goodrich for me.

Comment

dalliance wrote:

Just to disagree with you again, I liked the Chapel Club record. It has an insidious catchiness to a lot of it, a bit like Mirrors too.
            Yeh 'Palace' has grown on me over the past few months. I got it early this year after it was reviwed in The Guardian and I was initially a little bit disappointed, but I kept the songs on a current playlist and most of them have wormed their insidious way inside my head.

Comment

Yep, as I said before, "Palace" has really grown on me too. In fact, had a great moment during the summer when I was driving from Rhonda to Seville with the other half - put that CD on and everything really clicked about it. I love it when you can associate an album to a time and place, I think its the sign of a really good album.

Comment

Come the end of the year (so, next month, then) when everyone is listing their favourite releases of 2011, in various categories, I dare say the Cabaret Voltaire re-issues may be riding high in that particular section.

However, one new re-issue that might slip below a lot of peoples' radars (including mine at first, I have to say) is this:

This Mortal Coil 4CD box

Yep - 4 CDs. There's a CD of unreleased and rare tracks, apparently.

I hate being poor!

Comment

If anyone is interested, the best Portuguese album of this year, by some distance in my opinion, is by a rapper called Allen Halloween. He's orginally from Cabo Verde and his flow is genuinely different to any of the generic stuff that comes out of Portugal. A few of the tracks are Portuguese hip-hop by numbers, but overall it's a really exciting body of work.

Allen Halloween - Drunfos

And yup, at one point he's rapping about Mary Poppins.

Comment

Working...
                  X