Early contender for album of the year 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see some recognition in The Quietus list for My Disco's Little Joy, the best Australian album of 2010 which has obviously had a delayed overseas release.

Comment

Just come across the new Bon Iver album in the last few days and it's really good (I disagree with dalliance above - I think it's a class above the debut).

I can't recall when I came across an album with a more wonderfully atmospheric feel. It reminds me in many ways of the Beach Boys' 'Surf's Up'.

Comment

Glad to see Carcass bigging up Frank Ocean on the Quietus. I don't think we've had an OFWGKTA thread on here, but I was really happy to finally give in and listen to Frank Ocean after I read a lot of people liking him, and also happy to find that there was an Odd Future member who I actually enjoyed listening to.

Comment

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Mirror Traffic.

Wow. I know I'm the biggest Pavement and Malkmus fanboy on here, but this album has exceeded my highest expectations. It may be a bit long, but some outstanding songs on there.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
            Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Mirror Traffic.

Wow. I know I'm the biggest Pavement and Malkmus fanboy on here, but this album has exceeded my highest expectations. It may be a bit long, but some outstanding songs on there.
            Haven't heard it yet though I'll be surprised if it's as good as Real Emotional Trash.

Comment

I have to be honest and say that one never really clicked with me. The tracks on this one are shorter.

"Tigers"

"Senator"

"Asking Price"

Comment

I rather enjoy the new Gillian Welch album at the moment, and really like bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley's new effort of country-gospel.

Comment

Has anybody got the Azari & III album? I've only listened to it a couple of times now, but it's stupendously good, really reminds me of Ten City/Byron Stingily.

Comment

Tony C wrote:
                    loved 'Faithful' by the Marcin Waselewski Trio, certainly my favourite album of the year to date.
                    Good shout, thanks for the heads up. Perfect to drift away to on a late summers afternoon.

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                    Has anybody got the Azari & III album? I've only listened to it a couple of times now, but it's stupendously good, really reminds me of Ten City/Byron Stingily.
                    I downloaded this when you mentioned Ten City/Stingly. There's some decent stuff on it indeed, enjoyable.

I wouldn't liken it to Ten City though. It certainly has an early nineties feel in places but the tracks where there are vocalists don't evoke the soul style of Byron Stingly to me.

The album feels like it fits in with the same group of artists that the likes of Tensnake are fitting into. When that guy releases an LP its going to be proper hyped, his singles are well worth looking for if you like the Azari collection.

Comment

Cheers atlanticjaxx, will look out for soe Tensnake stuff, never heard of him. Was listening to the Azari & III album this morning whilst replacing a broken window, I'm still enjoying it but there is a definite 3 song lull about half-way through the album. I make the Byron Stingily comparison because it's been a while since I've heard very black and gay male vocals in dance music, and Stingily is the almighty king for me in that respect. He's a school prinicipal nowadays, according to wikipedia.

Newest purchase for me is either by "Hearts" or "I Break Horses", can't really tell by the cover. I'm really enjoying it.

Comment

Cor, Imagine having a legend like that as yer headmaster. Still, I would be too young to know I suppose.
                        Favourite Ten City Song? That's The Way Love Is (Steve Silk Hurley Mix) The bit at 2.08 just as his voice comes in, goosebumpy.

It's I Break Horses with "Hearts"
                        I just checked them out, there's a Tom Rowlands (from the Chemical Brothers) Mix too.
                        S'alright, like a mix between St.Ettiene/Fuck Buttons/Spritualized.

These days my attitude towards LPs is that generally, there isn't one that wouldn't be improved by deleting a fair amount of the tracks.. I'm more of a individual track man. I used to have a small hard drive and I got into the habit of horsing off anything that doesn't grab me to free up space for other stuff. I know what I like, and I like what I bloody well know.. Easier to be like that when I don't pay for recordings any more.

Some good ones from the year so far..

I'm listening to the new Paul White LP Rapping With Paul White, there's some good stuff on there.. like this

Gang Gang Dance - Glass Jar - long, gets going about 6 minutes in.. reminds me of a organic Orbital circa Snivilisation.

Lil Wayne - 6 Foot 7 Foot (Fun Inception style video)

Skream - Exothermic Reaction

Kool G Rap - Goin In

Honey Larochelle -- Gimmie A Minute

Comment

Unknown Mortal Orchestra, anyone?

I've probably jumped the gun a few times on this thread, I tend to get excited about albums I've bought if I like them on first listening. But I've listened to this album about 6 or 7 times now and f*ck me, it's a work of f*cking genius.

Some guy from New Zealand decides to write lo-fi songs using well-known hip-hop breaks. That sounds good on its own, but the songs are amazing and it's hard to track the influences. Prince and Beck are the two overwhelming ones, but there's also funk-influenced era Can and a whole load of Nuggets psychedelia going on. Aerial Pink too. One of the albums of the year, one of the most come out of nowhere and strike me down brilliant albums I've heard in a long time.

Strangers are Strange

Comment

New album purchases update:

Lanterns on the Lake - Gracious Tide, Take Me Home: It's hard to find a bad album on Bella Union, this isn't an earth shattering album, but it's quite beautiful nevertheless. Nice variety and mixing of styles whilst maintaining fine songwriting.

The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient: I've continually read great reviews of this album and Radio 6 are really bigging it up. However, I haven't liked anything I've heard off it but I decided to buy it because I stupidly trust reviews and the Kurt Vile connection. Having listened to it a couple of times, I still don't like it. Like 70s Dylan without the hooks, melodies and intelligent lyrics - why should I waste my time listening to this when I can listen to the real thing?

Death in Vegas - Trans-Love Energies: I was really looking forward to this one after hearing "Your Loft My Acid", but sadly nothing lives up to that track and it's just a collection of dull, soulless murmurings. If you're going to make an album like this, you really need to concentrate on making the vocals the focus of every song and music is secondary. Instead, you've got tonnes of average analogue synths and totally non-descript fade into the crowd vocals. Fearless by name but not by nature.

Comment

Listened to the Dea(r)th in Vegas album yesterday and would agree that it is incredibly dull.

Really liked the John Foxx & The Maths album, thought the S.C.U.M album was some dreary Horrorish toss.
                              DJ Shadow's latest offering is slightly better than The Outsider but it's a mess of styles and not the return to form as hoped.
                              Favourite album recently has been The Waterboys' examination of Yeats' work.

Comment

The Rustie album's pretty brilliant (got a review copy). For all the genre bingo reviewers seem to be playing, it reminds me more of Daft Punk than anyone else; it's got that benevolently monolithic feel, it's totally over the top. I always liked his tweaked hip hop sound, but this is really different, like a kung fu fight with David Guetta or something.

Comment

robw wrote:
                                  Listened to the Dea(r)th in Vegas album yesterday and would agree that it is incredibly dull.
                                  Yeah, there's one song with the chorus "I want to get high tonight" and I sort of wish he'd written the song after he'd gotten high, might have had a bit more life to it if so.

Currently listening to the second CD of remixes, it's just as dull, the better stuff sounds like poor early Aphex Twin. It's real "permitted" music - There are boundaries of left-fieldism you're permitted to tread, but never stray beyond them because you'll lose your cool and people might actually get a sense of who you are and what you actually feel. Or maybe Richard Fearless is completely dull and this album is a fair representation of him.

Comment

Megafaun's self-titled album. Listen to it. NOW.

Comment

Been loads but these are at the top(for me)

Hearts-I Break Horses
                                      Hesperia-Magdalena Solis
                                      Under My Bed-Lou Lesage
                                      All Through The Night-The Sand Band
                                      Inside The Ships-Tarwater

Comment

Real Estate - Days.

Oh yes. /kicks back

Some standouts - It's Real
                                        Younger Than Yesterday

Comment

I'm always terribly slow when it comes to buying albums. In fact, I can't actually remember the last time I bought an album within 6 months of the release date.

I might make an exception for Rise Ye Drunken Ships by We Are Augustines, however:

Book of James

Comment

OK so they're a staple of the Radio 2 playlist at the moment, which in some quarters is akin to the dreaded chairman's vote of confidence. But The Pierces album 'You And I' has been growing on me for a few months now.

Beautiful harmonies and you might say an exact blend of Fleetwood Mac, Abba and The Mamas and Papas.

You'll Be Mine

Their previous album from 2007 - 'Thirteen Tales Of Love And Revenge' - is also worth checking out. This video is a bit corny, but it's a creepy, infectious song bursting with dark humour.

Secret

Comment

Yeah, they're good.

Comment

I generally am not too far away from steve and Inca musically but didn't really get on so well with some of the stuff they have mentioned on this page, stuff like Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Real Estate. I did quite like Lanterns On The Lake though and while a lot of the Death In Vegas album is indeed plodding, Black Hole and Savage Love are really good.

Some decent things I've heard over the past few months:

M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming.
                                                Now I didn't get on as well as many with Saturdays = Youth but this recent double album is a big step on for me. I always found M83 a pretty interesting band, Amusement Parks On Fire with a penchant for grand concepts if you like and this album is easily their best work yet.

Edinburgh School For The Deaf - New Youth Bible
                                                An Edinburgh band sounding like a trademark scuzzy guitared Glasgow band doffing their cap to all of the usual influences from the VU to the JAMC. Their album 'New Youth Bible' is a noisy belter though. Here's a live performance of its stand out track.

Of Scottish blood and sympathies

Crumbling Ghost - Crumbling Ghost

Successfully straddles space rock, prog rog and psychedelia in one handsome, eponymous package. I might guess this would be popular with The Quietus guys. If you ever liked the trio of albums Caledonian Mystic, Gothic and Cosmic that Brendan O'Hare did in the mid 90s under the aegis of Fiend then you'll get on very well with this record.

Battle Of Barnet

A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Epon
                                                At absolutely the opposite end of the spectrum you have this quite beautiful record, even more elegant and moving than the Josh T.Pearson album from early in the year. Dustin O'Halloran is behind it and he has a fine legacy of producing delicate, simple piano music. This is his best work yet.

We Played Some Open Chords

Alexi Murdoch - Towards the Sun
                                                Lovely sun-tinged James Yorkston styled folk.

Towards the Sun

juffage - Semicircle

juffage is a chap out of Leeds who is a bit of an electronic dabbler and soundscaper with some disquieting but fascinating results. One for wingco, I remember he liked Alex Delivery a lot and there are strong parallels here.

My Weakness

Boston Spaceships - Let It Beard
                                                Never really been blown away by Guided By Voices but this Robert Pollard offshoot band is getting better and better with each release, there's been a few, like GBV they are pretty prolific with their output.

I think the new Wilco album is pretty good too incidentally, the best since A Ghost Is Born.

A few other excellent individual tracks to check out....

We Were Promised Jetpacks - Act On Impulse

A Hawk & A Handsaw - Lazslo Lassu

The Luyas - Tiny Head

The Middle East - Jesus came to my birthday party

Moon Duo - Fallout

Mogwai - Drunk & Crazy

Low - Nothing But Heart

Comment

The Wilco album is indeed excellent. It strikes a happy medium betwen Yankee Hotel Foxtrot type experimentation and the beauty of Sky Blue Sky (a very underrated album).

I like Alexi Murdoch a lot, and rate Time Without Consequence as one of my favourite albums of the past decade. But the new effort hasn't really grabbed me. Perhaps I should give it a few more spins.

Comment

Another fan of A Winged Victory For The Sullen here. Based on processed piano, strings and electronics, they have a kind of quietly dramatic ambient sound. My favourite track on the album is the majestic Steep Hills Of Vicodin Tears.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X