MP for Darlington, Jewish Nazi, and Buddhist Abbot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the roles taken on by Ignác Trebitsch-Lincoln in his varied life. Just been reading about him. Incredible story and one I thought I'd share, albeit in this its necessarily foreshortened wikipedia version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Trebitsch-Lincoln

(He added the Lincoln as a homage to Abe, by the way)

Is there a book about him? Where were you reading about him?

Comment

There's a book by this guy Wasserstein http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE1DD1638F93BA35756C0A96E9482 60&sec=&pagewanted=all

but I was reading about him in Lendvai's "The Hungarians" and later wanted to follow up a bit, so I've been scouring the net.

Comment

He comes across as a sort of real life Leonard Zelig

Comment

"As a child, Leonard Zelig was often bullied by anti-semites. His parents never took his side."

Comment

Love this bit "after this, Hitler put an end to crackpot, pseudo-mystical schemes". Apart from the one, it would seem.

Comment

The mystical, pagan end of Nazism has been talked up by Christian propagandists, really, anxious to skate over the fact that most participants in the Holocaust were respectable churchgoing types. It was only a minor strand, and of the senior chaps, only Himmler (and to some extent Hess) was into all that. Goering in particular thought was ridiculous. Hitler said any revival of paganism would be "inexpressibly stupid".

Comment

Working...
              X