No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just watched this episode - remember that song very clearly but until today still would have swore blind it was
    Jimmy Somerville who sang it. Even though this is safely in the period when I would have watched it every week, there's usually a fairly high charting song in each episode I have no recollection of, and in the previous episode it was that Phil Collins - Marilyn Martin duet.

Comment

That song ('Perfect Beat') was featured in Letter To Brezhnev, which contained Peter Firth, Alfred Molina, and some utterly shocking acting.

I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
        This was all before my time, but I thought I was reasonably familiar with Bronski Beat and The Communards' output. I had no idea that Bronski Beat continued after Somerville's departure, and that the aforementioned single reached Number 3 in the UK charts (which equalled Smalltown Boy's highest position).
        It was after my time, and I'd no idea that they'd continued after Somerville...

Comment

Bronski Beat covered "Heroes" by Bowie for Children In Need under a pseudonym in 1986. Wiki says it was the first ever Children In Need single but that was actually by Clannad the year before.

Comment

As suggested, the singer for the first post-Somerville releases was Jon-Jon Foster (as he liked to bill himself).

With him as front man, the Bronskis managed two more Top 20 hits - C'mon! C'mon! (UK #20) being the follow-up to Hit That Perfect Beat - but Foster left soon thereafter. All further Bronski Beat releases pretty much bombed.

Comment

Interesting one tonight, featured someone, many years later I pinned to the wall by the throat. Not that I'm aggressive in anyway, my other hand was holding off an attacker.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarewheelbike View Post
                Interesting one tonight, featured someone, many years later I pinned to the wall by the throat. Not that I'm aggressive in anyway, my other hand was holding off an attacker.
                It's this lot, isn't it?

Comment

Was it someone attacking the singer from Mr Mister about those white boots he was wearing?

Comment

Come on, squarewheel. Throw us a bone.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                      Was it someone attacking the singer from Mr Mister about those white boots he was wearing?
                      Nah, I'm anti violence, but those boots!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        Come on, squarewheel. Throw us a bone.
                        i might, as long as you don't criticise me!

Comment

i might, as long as you don't criticise me!
                          Alexander O'Neal?

Comment

(Lost interest.)
                            Last edited by Jah Womble; 22-07-2018, 16:40.

Comment

Was it Sting? Do tell us it was Sting. Actually I was quite amused by the brief appearance of the Russians on a recent show as it shared certain similarities with ITV's World Cup titles.

Nice to see West End Girls finally appear on the telly, it's been on three Smith shows prior to now. I also may have done that jig across Waterloo station concourse at some point in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                Alexander O'Neal?
                                Aye, he never made onstage till after 10pm, and only did 45 minutes. Locals weren't happy!

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                  Was it Sting?
                                  Oh, I wish!

Comment

Watching the last edition made me realise that A-ha were decent.
                                    Last edited by Jah Womble; 22-07-2018, 16:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Watching the last edition made me realise that A-ha were decent.
                                      An ex got me, her and her friend tickets to see A-ha at the arena in 2005 under the impression it'd be a bit of an 80s-throwback-tour like those with Toyah, Johnny Hates Jazz and Rick Astley et al.

I was as astonished as anyone that it turned out to be one of my top ten gigs of all time. They were brilliant.

Comment

They could absolutely play - and that windswept sound of theirs seems to have dated a lot better than the stylings of the majority of their pop contemporaries.

Comment

Paul Jordan presenting with Simon Bates tonight (episode Feb 1986) no memory of him

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                            Paul Jordan presenting with Simon Bates tonight (episode Feb 1986) no memory of him
                                            Another ex of mine used to go out with him. Very bitter that he didn't make it further apparently.

Comment

She must have been very attractive for him to feel that bitter.

Comment

His Ozzy Osbourne joke was rather risqué for quarter past seven. Only does one more episode, we'll get to see that in a couple of weeks.

Comment

There's probably an important message in that Radio Africa song, but it's wholly undermined by the complete shitness of it.

Comment

Mogadon about the Ogaden

I heard A Shot In The Dark with the lights off and realized I was listening to shit in the dark.
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-08-2018, 19:39.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X