No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Simon Underwood out of The Pop Group was an early member of Pigbag. Nellee Hooper also appeared on TOTP with the band.

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    Bloody hell, I just assumed you'd made that up for a laugh there Jah. I wouldn't for a second have guessed it was real.
    It has a certain charm, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
      Blue Rondo anyone?
      Me! Klactoveesedstein is a wonderful single.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
        Me! Klactoveesedstein is a wonderful single.
        Me and Mr Sanchez was woeful but I did buy Slipping Into Daylight on a 12" single
        Last edited by Tramp The Dirt Down; 01-03-2018, 11:52. Reason: misspelt

Comment

I didn't mind Klactoveesedstein, either.

Peaked at #50, fact fans. (Me and Mr Sanchez didn't fare a great deal better, either. BRALT were a bit like Fashion in that neither bands' sales performances came anywhere close to matching the preceding hype afforded them...)

Comment

Love Shadow (with Gina X) was a great song by Fashion.

As was No GDM by the aforementioned lady

Comment

Watching tonight's '85 edition. Kim Wilde's keyboard player maybe first proper sighting of bald man with ponytail in modern culture!

Comment

Originally posted by Tramp The Dirt Down View Post
                Love Shadow (with Gina X) was a great song by Fashion.

As was No GDM by the aforementioned lady
                I certainly liked the latter, but always thought Fashion to be a bit pants. (Perhaps appropriately.)

Comment

Any reason why the video of the charity version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" is so short? Was it at the time?

Comment

I thought that and it was strange that Kayleigh at number 2 got played instead,checking online it got to number one the week after Heysel so it was probably thought a bit insensitive to play the whole thing, Liverpool's reputation was at an all-time low

Comment

Nothing to do with Heysel - the video's been edited as it includes Rolf Harris and DLT. Full thing is available on YouTube if you want to see it.

Comment

That makes more sense

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                          Nothing to do with Heysel - the video's been edited as it includes Rolf Harris and DLT. Full thing is available on YouTube if you want to see it.
                          Did Peel miss the show the day after Heysel because of the disaster?

Comment

John Peel was at Heysel so wouldn't have been scheduled to present it that week anyway even before the horror unfolded.

Also I'm pretty sure TOTP was recorded the day before transmission so it would have been without any knowledge of the events.
                            Last edited by wittoner; 21-03-2018, 16:01.

Comment

The night after Heysel was scheduled to be presented by Long / Peel as a live broadcast - guess the producers were hoping Peel would return from Belgium having seen Liverpool lift the cup and add to the programme's atmosphere. He understandably withdrew from the show after the evening's events. Everything else went ahead as normal, Janice made a brief acknowledgement as to Peel's absence at the start then presented the show solo.

Comment

Thanks Longeared. Didn't realise that.

Comment

Why are The Damned doing Skiffle?

Comment

The clip of the Crowd video on tonight's show included DLT. Expect the BBC will be forced into an apology for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                      Why are The Damned doing Skiffle?
                                      Because after Sensible jumped ship they were only any good as a covers band.

Comment

The Thompson Twins effort tonight has surely got to be absolutely everything that was totally shit about the 80's in one performance.

Comment

The Thompson Twins generally were.

Comment

They were on the way out by '85, e.g. not invited to Live Aid IIRC.

Comment

I thought that they'd been asked but couldn't do it for tour reasons. ('Spare the world', etc.)

Actually, that might've been Band Aid: I recall that Tom Bailey offered to donate royalties from their simultaneous hit, Lay Your Hands. (Which wouldn't have amounted to a great deal.)

Decent gesture, but they sucked bigly.

Comment

The Thompson Twins were very good live. Although, that is only on the strength of seeing them once. The weird "bass player behind the screen" worked very well, and whoever it was was bloody good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                                  The Thompson Twins were very good live.
                                                  They were, but I think that that was their earlier line-up. Didn't see them after the hits started.

Comment

A college flatmate of mine was a fan when there were about 84 of them on stage. I didn't mind In the Name of Love for a couple of plays, but given that said flatmate had only that and a couple of other 12-inchers, it wore thin fairly quickly.

One of his others was something by Fashion. And they weren't much better, in my book.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X