TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    Sadly, the Music Television Revisionism thread is going to have to wait; this Old Grey Whistle Test special is as dull as ditchwater so far.
    Absolutely abysmal, yes. Couple of acoustic numbers from Kiki Dee to get the party started.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Both are gay anthems of their time, I guess. Morrissey picked the latter on Andy Peebles' My Top Ten in 1984.
      Is that Johnny Remember Me the John Leyton hit from the early sixties?

Comment

It is, one of the few great escapers still alive

Comment

Just catching up again. The Bronski Beat / Marc Almond appearance was so overblown it made Freddie Mercury look shy. There can't be many finer juxtapositions than New Model Army's erm army bouncing around the Marquee, cutting to that Debarge video. And DC Lee wears a yellow cardy and still looks the coolest thing in this couple of episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            Is that Johnny Remember Me the John Leyton hit from the early sixties?
            It's a Joe Meek production (his first No. 1 hit) and thus closet gay, as it were. 1961.

http://www.joemeekpage.info/charts_gb.htm

Comment

I was in love with DC Lee and am a big fan of yellow cardies, so I’d better have a look see

Comment

See The Day is a great song, and self-written. Better than anything Style Council put out that year IMHO. It's a shame she never built a longer Top 10 chart career on that hit.

Comment

Saw a bit of an episode from 82 there. Firstly what the fuck are pig bag, and why did Bananarama cover Really saying something? and why did they do it so badly, and what were Funboy 3 supposed to be bringing to the party?

Comment

Pigbag are great (zigger zagger zigger zagger QPR!)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      It's a Joe Meek production (his first No. 1 hit) and thus closet gay, as it were. 1961.

http://www.joemeekpage.info/charts_gb.htm
                      Oh yeah, I'll always remember Johnny.

Comment

Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag (assuming it was that) is a classic of the era.

Imagine anything like that getting a sniff of hitsville now, he mused rather obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                          Pigbag are great (zigger zagger zigger zagger QPR!)
                          I'm sure they are, but all I saw were a bunch of eejits getting melodramatic with saxomaphones.

It occurs to me that about 80% of the success of that bananarama cover is dependent on no-one having heard of the velvelettes, which may not have been all that improbable in mid 80's uk.

Comment

Bananarama were supposed to be a bit wonky, that was the idea.

I think that the FB3 were returning the favour after Bananarama provided backing vocals on It Ain't What You Do.

Comment

Paul Weller admits that The Jam nicked the Pigbag riff for 'Precious'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atgxIe8OUnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omYKI8RJaIg

Bananarama, yes, were definitely ironic in their presentation. A bit like how 'baggy' would later present black-inspired music in a very casual, laid back way.

The FB3 and Bananarama singles had the same producer. I had assumed that Bananarama were a FB3 spin-off (like Pepsi and Shirley) but infact they had already released a single before Terry Hall heard them. The first single was organized via ex-Pistols Cook and Jones, and led to them being approached by Talcy Malcy (in his sleaziest phase), whom they sensibly declined.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-02-2018, 12:25.

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I like bananarama, this cover simply wasn't a good idea. The only thing you accomplish by covering a motown song is making it clear to everyone just how technically gifted and stylishly sophisticated a second or third tier motown girl band were.

Comment

Bananarama themselves might argue that they also accomplished another sizeable hit.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    I'm sure they are, but all I saw were a bunch of eejits getting melodramatic with saxomaphones.
                                    Setting aside personal bias — if that's at all possible — Pigbag is the very top arena tune. It blends perfectly with stadium acoustics, and actually sounds better in cruddier venues.

Comment

Oh, I also saw the England 82 squad singing their song. Oh deary dear. They were every bit as embarrassed as their GAA counterparts would have been at the time. Phil Thompson actually looks embarrassed, and fuck em, but that's a hard thing to achieve.

Comment

It was no Back Home. I Have a Dream - Scotland's effort featuring John Gordon Sinclair, fresh from Gregory's Girl - was far superior, in most people's estimation. Yer Man by Dana & the Norn Iron Squad was also better than Keegan and co's effort.

(Look, if we're going to be honest, Our Camel is a Winner by the Kuwaiti squad was, too...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          Our Camel is a Winner by the Kuwaiti squad
                                          You've made that up.

Comment

I can't link to it because I'm at work, but if you Google "Our Camel Is A Winner", the second link down is a YouTube link to a song from 1982. Should you be insane, apparently you can get it for £25 by following a link on Discogs, too.

Comment

I appreciate that it sounds a bit 'My Lovely Horse', but, nope, it was genuine. This here FourFourTwo article gives the song the briefest of mentions about halfway in:

http://www.fourfourtwoarabia.com/wor...en-generation/

Ooh, look - here's a version of it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkp4lSlxxlE

Comment

Bloody hell, I just assumed you'd made that up for a laugh there Jah. I wouldn't for a second have guessed it was real.

Comment

A group of kids called Night People was persuaded to record a tribute to England's 1982 mascot, the extremely ill-advised Bulldog Bobby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_xadTquVPM

This also appears in a version by the Mini-Pops plus Runaround's Mike Reid on England's 'This Time' album:

https://www.discogs.com/The-England-...elease/2894579

The times were either more "innocent" or incredibly creepy depending on your POV (OTOH I think the unintentionally paedo-friendly nature of these kid groups was noted by some concerned observers at the time)
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-03-2018, 03:38.

Comment

Pigbag were great live. We were taken to see them when they’d just formed in a tiny pub venue, by a friend who was a Pop Group obsessive (2 former Pop Groupers, I think).

At the time there were quite a few sax/horns-driven bands and a bit of a jazz revival (Blue Rondo anyone?) and Pigbag were a lot less gimmicky than some. It’s a shame what was a great dance record has become just an arena crowd-prod but I’m sure their accountants aren’t complaining.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X