TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

I had to look that up to see what you were all on about.

I quite like the brass on it, but Geldof's bit was really shit.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Got a bit behind on the repeats, but I've just watched the episode with Garth Crooks. Julio Iglesias followed by Buck Fizz (sic) followed by Foster and Allen followed by the indescribably atrocious Boomtown Rats piece followed by the Nolans was not the most enjoyable bit of the programme ever.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

That's where fast-forward is your friend, skip the Irish...

Anyway, I actually almost enjoyed that Boomtown Rats song...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Finally caught up this evening. On the Peel show, what on earth was that French version of Bucks Fizz about? I assume this was some sort of thing at the time.

Then having Fantastic Day to kick off the programme in the week the Falklands War began. Thatcher's Britain.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The description on Sky for tonight's episode is saying featured acts include Dollar, Shakatak, Bucks Fizz and Bardo.

Not sure if 'Summertime Special' is on later, though.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Bardo: Eurovision entrant, got to No. 2 on the chart behind Ebony & Ivory, whereas the winner "A Little Peace" by Nicole was a No. 1, ironically during the Falklands conflict. I actually bought the Nicole single; nice tune but its charm wears out after three plays.

World Cup squad songs must be just a week or two away. Scotland's song actually leapfrogs the England one, the latter peaking too early.

The Go-Gos' wonderful Our Lips Are Sealed was released around this time but I don't think it ever made TOTP due to peaking at 47. IMHO it's the best single of that May/June 82 period.

>>>Not sure if 'Summertime Special' is on later, though.

Lots of those shit kiddie things were being sold on the back of Cheggers Plays Pop and other such kids' telly of the period. Bardo have a Youtube clip from the Cheggers programme. Note also that 1982 Eurovision was in London so was a big deal and a distraction from the war news.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Ooh, the big TOTP flags.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Slightly dull tonight, although several fashion gaffes, ties with checked shirts, bow ties with leather jackets and various boots leather trousers combinations.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Satchmo Distel wrote:
                    The Go-Gos' wonderful Our Lips Are Sealed was released around this time but I don't think it ever made TOTP due to peaking at 47. IMHO it's the best single of that May/June 82 period.
                    I much prefer the Fun Boy Three version, but we have nearly a year to wait before that hits the charts.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

There was a clip of it on the show that was repeated last night - but it was edited out as it was part of Jonathan King's US chart run down, which was as usual skipped entirely. Doesn't appear subsequently, though as Sean says Fun Boy Three do a version which we'll see in May 1983.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

There's a better live version of the Fun Boy Three cover from May 1983 that I remember taping from Channel 4. Youtube says the show was called Switch but I have absolutely no memory of it except some skinhead comedian on a fire escape, which I recall John Peel mocking on "Did You See?", which sadly is not on Youtube.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Satchmo Distel wrote: Bardo: Eurovision entrant, got to No. 2 on the chart behind Ebony & Ivory, whereas the winner "A Little Peace" by Nicole was a No. 1, ironically during the Falklands conflict. I actually bought the Nicole single; nice tune but its charm wears out after three plays.

World Cup squad songs must be just a week or two away. Scotland's song actually leapfrogs the England one, the latter peaking too early.

>>>Not sure if 'Summertime Special' is on later, though.

Lots of those shit kiddie things were being sold on the back of Cheggers Plays Pop and other such kids' telly of the period. Bardo have a Youtube clip from the Cheggers programme. Note also that 1982 Eurovision was in London so was a big deal and a distraction from the war news.
                          I'm sure the kid said on this week's programme that Eurovision was going to take place in harrogate, which, when coupled with abba win in brighton, made me wonder what criteria they were using to pick Eurovision host towns.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Oh, and if we're talking about upcoming favourites, I can't wait until the debut of Kid Creole. Banarama could not hold a candle to the Coconuts in the early 80s.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jon wrote: Oh, and if we're talking about upcoming favourites, I can't wait until the debut of Kid Creole. Banarama could not hold a candle to the Coconuts in the early 80s.
                              Keren could on her own!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Wax in the pubes would be an issue.

Bananarama might qualify as a band that totally changed its image, namely between the Fun Boy Three period and the SAW one. But were they any less manipulated in the first period than the second? Their main merit for me was to make me aware of songs by acts from the 60s that would have taken me much longer to discover otherwise , such as the Velvelettes. I mean, how awesome is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBDnowUOa4I

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhVXsBn1pOw

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Or even this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfrgA3q1oqI

Their only UK semi-hit.

Definitely one of the early Motown groups that deserved more success than they received at the time.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

It's a mystery, sort of*, that The Supremes could not get a hit for years but then as soon as they broke through they were the only female group that Motown seemed to keep faith in.

*sometimes put down to Diana Ross, sexual manoeuvres

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

IIRC success followed soon after Gordy replaced Florence Ballard with Ross as lead singer. Up untilthen she and Mary Wilson only took occasional leads. But the reasoning behind the switch does depend somewhat on who you believe.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

On Bananarama / SAW, it's not that they were manipulated; they wanted to achieve a certain pop sound and they got it. But then they didn't feel respected as songwriters, so the relationship ended.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jon wrote: Oh, and if we're talking about upcoming favourites, I can't wait until the debut of Kid Creole. Banarama could not hold a candle to the Coconuts in the early 80s.
                                            Can't say that I see that much of a parallel anyway, if honest. The cod-Latin/salsa thing was sewn up by pop bands like Blue Rondo, Modern Romance and (a couple of years later) Matt Bianco, wasn't it? Bananarama had little to do with that once they hit the charts.

That said, Kid Creole & The Coconuts/Dr Buzzard were definitely the better and more sophisticated act, mixing in disco, lounge and Cab Calloway-style jazz.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I got dragged kicking and screaming to Kid Creole and his Coconuts at Aylesbury Friars where my back-combed Bauhaus-a-like appearance took 'one hell of a beating'.
                                              But I ended up enjoying it enormously (without admitting to the draggers).

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I love KC and the C, don't understand why they're being pitched against Bananarama, though?

I'm a Wonderful Thing gets a frequent airing here.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I suppose both acts were throwbacks, referencing earlier decades.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Well, Bananarama only in as much as they more often than not released covers of old songs.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X